The Student Room Group

What are the best pubs in Manchester?

Hi
Will be visiting Manchester to look at colleges and want to find a good local pub to chat with the locals, maybe find a girl friend :smile: (Btw I'm not much of an expert when it comes to British pubs.)

I'm tempted to avoid city centre pubs as they can be a bit too expensive and dodgy. I have considered a residential or estate pub because they are cheap and have home made food like Betty's Hot Pot. Plus would be nice to chat with the locals play pool, find a GF :smile:

I've looked in an A to Z map and seen places like Longsight, Gorton, Cheadle. Does anyone know what's the best as I've never been to Manchester?
Original post by Ambitious1999
Hi
Will be visiting Manchester to look at colleges and want to find a good local pub to chat with the locals, maybe find a girl friend :smile: (Btw I'm not much of an expert when it comes to British pubs.)

I'm tempted to avoid city centre pubs as they can be a bit too expensive and dodgy. I have considered a residential or estate pub because they are cheap and have home made food like Betty's Hot Pot. Plus would be nice to chat with the locals play pool, find a GF :smile:

I've looked in an A to Z map and seen places like Longsight, Gorton, Cheadle. Does anyone know what's the best as I've never been to Manchester?

There's a lot of nice pubs in the city centre if you skip past the big bar/club type places.

Circus Tavern - Portland St. Smallest pub in Europe but tons of charm to the place. Worth seeing just for how tiny it is!

Grand Central and The Salisbury - Oxford Rd. Basically working class rock and roll pubs. Popular with bikers, metal heads and students and open until 2am on the weekends!

Crown and Anchor and Sinclair's Bar - Cathedral approach, northern quarter. Very laid back places for a few drinks on a hot summer day. :smile:

Then there's the big pubs like Moon under Water, Paramount, The Bank, Piccadilly etc which are perfectly fine.

Some other nice out of town pubs in places I've lived around Manchester ...

The Railway (Altrincham)
Samuel Brooks (Broadheath)
Gorse Hill (Stretford)
Spread Eagle (Chorlton)
The Elizabethan (Heaton Chapel)
Brooklands Tap (Sale)

Dunno much about north Manchester tbh
I go to Manchester a bit for the football and other stuff. My favourite two city centre pubs are Peveril of the Peak (yellow building on Great Bridgewater Street) and the Grey Horse (a Hydes on Portland St).

Once got free sausage rolls in the Grey Horse.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Hi

Estate pubs are just as dodgy as City Centre pubs which will have door staff on.

Places to drink in Manchester:

The Friendship in Fallowfield is nice. The Sedge Lynn in Chorlton, The Crown in Didsbury, the Navigation/Little Bee in Altrincham- but these pubs even can attract unsavoury characters. So beware. Avoid Longsight and Gorton, in general, at any cost.

Quick Reply

Latest