The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7220
Original post by Mackay
I'd be looking to play a decent side against Chelsea, and next weekend, to give the first choice players game time and keep them sharp and fresh. We don't need a situation where we are resting players and they are getting rusty, like before the CL final in 2007.

Nah decent side against Chelsea, rest players on the final weekend. Gives the first team a week, which is just right.
Original post by cBay
Nah decent side against Chelsea, rest players on the final weekend. Gives the first team a week, which is just right.

Ah, I dunno.

I have memories of that dead rubber match with Portsmouth in 2007 when we played a weaker side, and then lost to Milan a few days later when the first teamers came back in.
Original post by Mackay
Ah, I dunno.

I have memories of that dead rubber match with Portsmouth in 2007 when we played a weaker side, and then lost to Milan a few days later when the first teamers came back in.

Tbh we were the better team against AC Milan in the 2007 final.
The main thing for me is making sure our key players are injury free. An injury to Sturridge, Coutinho, Can, Lovren, or Clyne is something we really can't deal with right now, especially Can and Lovren.
Reply 7224
I completely accept that we're probably one of the biggest bottles in English football but **** me guys, how on earth did you **** this up?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462582194.798786.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
I completely accept that we're probably one of the biggest bottles in English football but **** me guys, how on earth did you **** this up?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462582194.798786.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't exactly like we had a huge lead. Once you factor in the 2 games in hand, that means Man City were only 3 points behind with better GD. We lost to the team who were 2nd in the league which took it out of our hands - Arsenal have lost to Chelsea in the last 7 out of 10 league fixtures.

Anyway you've actually got to put a decent title challenge in to even be in a position to bottle it.
Original post by Zerforax
Tbh we were the better team against AC Milan in the 2007 final.

Crouch should have started.
Wasn't exactly like we had a huge lead. Once you factor in the 2 games in hand, that means Man City were only 3 points behind with better GD. We lost to the team who were 2nd in the league which took it out of our hands - Arsenal have lost to Chelsea in the last 7 out of 10 league fixtures.

Anyway you've actually got to put a decent title challenge in to even be in a position to bottle it.

It was a weak Chelsea team tbf. But yeah there's been a lot worse bottles, it's just memorable and funny because of the slip and the Palace 3-3 (which had no effect).
And we won 11 on the trot to even get to that position, which is scarcely believable and iirc only been done once before in the PL era.
Rumoured XI for tomorrow: Ward, Randall, Skrtel, Lucas, Flanagan, Allen, Stewart, Brannagan, Ojo, Ibe, Benteke.
I'd just keep Clyne, Can, Milner, Firmino and Sturridge wrapped in bubble wrap until the final.
Reply 7231
Original post by Mackay
Rumoured XI for tomorrow: Ward, Randall, Skrtel, Lucas, Flanagan, Allen, Stewart, Brannagan, Ojo, Ibe, Benteke.

Pretty much what I expected with Smith suspended.
Original post by cBay
Pretty much what I expected with Smith suspended.

I know he had a bad weekend last time out, but I'd back Chirivella and deploy him again to be honest. After such a poor performance, the last thing he needs is to spend a month or two on the sidelines. That'll do nothing for his confidence.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I'd just keep Clyne, Can, Milner, Firmino and Sturridge wrapped in bubble wrap until the final.

I think you play our best team against Chelsea to keep match sharpness.
I think you play our best team against Chelsea to keep match sharpness.

I agree.

Rest "most" tomorrow, play full strength vs Chelsea and rest most/all against West Brom depending on league standings.
It's only a 3 day gap between West Brom and the EL final so let's just hope we don't have to get a result in that game.

Not expecting much tomorrow - last time's performance was the worst all season (although in fairness, Swansea have been playing amazing football lately). Let's just hope we can sneak a result since Watford don't have much to play for.
Hell they almost lost to Villa - had to score 2 very late goals to get a win so there's no reason even a severely weakened Liverpool side can't beat them.
Original post by Lúcio
I agree.

Rest "most" tomorrow, play full strength vs Chelsea and rest most/all against West Brom depending on league standings.
It's only a 3 day gap between West Brom and the EL final so let's just hope we don't have to get a result in that game.

Not expecting much tomorrow - last time's performance was the worst all season (although in fairness, Swansea have been playing amazing football lately). Let's just hope we can sneak a result since Watford don't have much to play for.
Hell they almost lost to Villa - had to score 2 very late goals to get a win so there's no reason even a severely weakened Liverpool side can't beat them.

Surprised that Swansea have suddenly turned it on tbh..
Surprised that Swansea have suddenly turned it on tbh..

That's what I was thinking, they looked dead certain for relegation for most of this season and then suddenly Ayew has regained the good form he had at the start of the season. Makes you wonder if they'll still want Brendan in the summer, unless Guidolin has confirmed that he'll be leaving?
Original post by Hugs31
That's what I was thinking, they looked dead certain for relegation for most of this season and then suddenly Ayew has regained the good form he had at the start of the season. Makes you wonder if they'll still want Brendan in the summer, unless Guidolin has confirmed that he'll be leaving?

I always thought they looked just about safe with enough cushion away from relegation but those last 2 wins have propelled them up the table. Can they finish with a hattrick of impressive wins (Liverpool, West Ham with Man City to play)?

Guidolin hasn't done a fantastic job per say so maybe they will want a change? Not sure how it's been all through the season or if they look improved under him. Wonder if Allen will go back to Swansea this summer.
I always thought they looked just about safe with enough cushion away from relegation but those last 2 wins have propelled them up the table. Can they finish with a hattrick of impressive wins (Liverpool, West Ham with Man City to play)?

Guidolin hasn't done a fantastic job per say so maybe they will want a change? Not sure how it's been all through the season or if they look improved under him. Wonder if Allen will go back to Swansea this summer.

He's (eventually) steadied the ship and potentially could finish as high as 11th/12th. Garry Monk got the job full time after he achieved that in the half season he had as caretaker boss. I guess they could easily slip into the habit that Sunderland got into if they extended Guidolin's contract.
I wouldn't mind Allen staying to be honest, he looks a different player under Klopp (and since he grew his hair and beard) and is more effective on the ball. Though I wouldn't be up in arms if he left as he's replaceable and there are still no talks of a new contract. Maybe Klopp will wait and see if decent offers come in for him after the Euro's.
Original post by Hugs31

Guidolin hasn't done a fantastic job per say so maybe they will want a change? N

Original post by Hugs31
He's (eventually) steadied the ship and potentially could finish as high as 11th/12th. Garry Monk got the job full time after he achieved that in the half season he had as caretaker boss. I guess they could easily slip into the habit that Sunderland got into if they extended Guidolin's contract.

Guidolin has done really well, to be honest. The thing that has really undermined Swansea this season has been a lack of goals from their front men. They are too reliant on set-pieces, especially from Sigurdsson. I think Paloschi will be a really good signing when he is given a full pre-season and given time to bed in.

I think Guidolin will leave, but he has done really well adapting to the PL when many a coach of similar reputation in the past - Magath and Mel - have struggled.

Latest