The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GuguM
How the heck do I pay £125 weekly rent if Ill only get 5 grand from student finance? Will that be enough? Can I change how much finance I get if Ive already sent off my application?Also I deferred last year but before I did I got a scholarship for academic excellence, will I still be able to claim it if I show you the email that says I was awarded it?

Bournemouth is quite expensive but the standard is pretty good compared to some University halls that I looked at last year. £5000 is okay; It doesn't cover all of your rent but you can work during the summer or find a local job which is what most students tend to do to fund themselves. Have a look at your application and see if you applied for the maximum funding. The scholarship is really beneficial and helps quite a lot, I believe the grade requirements have changed this year so check if you meet the grades and you should receive an email closer to September that you are entitled to a scholarship. If they don't send an email, you go to the hub at the university and they'll sort it out. You can also contact askBU for clarification.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
As a postgrad student, is it able to pick Cranborne or Purbeck as your accomodation?
Original post by MisterJackson271
As a postgrad student, is it able to pick Cranborne or Purbeck as your accomodation?

Hello,

I'm afraid Purbeck and Cranbourne are not available as post-grad accommodation. Dorchester, Chesil, Corfe and Okeford House as well as St. John's Road and the Student Village are available as post-grad accommodation. :-)

I hope this helps!

Chereen (BU Student Ambassador)
Hello
My name is Ratul Sarkar.I am an international applicant from India and I have an unconditional offer to study Bsc(Hons)Games Technology starting September 2016.My question is regarding the enrollment process in the University.Is that an online process?Also do I have to bring the documents that I have uploaded and sent through myHub?I have also applied for the BU Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship on 15th April,the reference number of which is GENSCHOL1545.When can I expect to hear the decision regarding that?
Thank You
Reply 204
Question, If I applied for a three year Ecology and wildlife conservation course and accepted it as firm, can I still change it into the 4 year one with a placement year? In starting to regret not choosing the one with a placement year.
Original post by GuguM
Question, If I applied for a three year Ecology and wildlife conservation course and accepted it as firm, can I still change it into the 4 year one with a placement year? In starting to regret not choosing the one with a placement year.

My advice would be to contact BU directly and request this ASAP. I have a feeling they'd let you. The placement year is about 790 pounds I think
Original post by GuguM

Hi GuguM,

My name is Steve and I'm a final year student studying Business Studies at BU. I'm also a Student Ambassador here on TSR!

The University is really flexible on adding a placement year to your degree. I've got friends on courses in the Faculty of Science and Technology who have made late decisions to add a placement year and have been able to do so. As above, if it's a worry for you the best thing to do is email the AskBU service on: [email protected] and they will be able to advise you on how to put this in place before you start.

As someone who took a placement year, I would recommend anyone who is considering it to take the opportunity. It adds so much more to your experience which will only benefit your CV!

I hope that's helpful and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Steve Moss
Hi everyone,

I've just got a few general questions..

1. A side question that will unlikely get a detailed answer, how is bike storage? I'm very sceptical about leaving my bike in really any security provided, though I must say the premium bike storage on Talbot seemed quite impressive. Anyone have experience of it? I believe it was a £5 monthly payment and bought from the student shop.

2. I've signed up for the first part of accommodation. I assume there is absolutely nothing else to do until I receive my results?

3. How is the profile system for BU Accommodation stage 2? Is it thorough? Is the matching easy and effective? I'm keen to get myself with a house of similar people if I choose shared housing.

Anyone here doing computer framework courses can message me for an invite to a group chat I made.

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paddythed
Hi everyone,

1. A side question that will unlikely get a detailed answer, how is bike storage? I'm very sceptical about leaving my bike in really any security provided, though I must say the premium bike storage on Talbot seemed quite impressive. Anyone have experience of it? I believe it was a £5 monthly payment and bought from the student shop.

2. I've signed up for the first part of accommodation. I assume there is absolutely nothing else to do until I receive my results?

3. How is the profile system for BU Accommodation stage 2? Is it thorough? Is the matching easy and effective? I'm keen to get myself with a house of similar people if I choose shared housing.

Anyone here doing computer framework courses can message me for an invite to a group chat I made.

Thanks!

Hiya paddythed,

1) Bournemouth's got great facilities for cyclists and loads of paths so you can get around Bournemouth really easy! It's popular (especially because there's not many hills!) and there is 3 storage spaces on Talbot Campus, there's also showers and changing rooms. The storage facilities provided by BU are very safe as you can only enter the compound by using your BU student card. There's more information about all of the bike storage here. BU also has a bike scheme for students without bikes and even a bike doctor who comes in to sort out bike-related problems! Find out more here. I'm afraid I am not entirely sure about the price but I will get back to you on that one!

2) Assuming that you have an unconditional offer, there is nothing more that you can do. If you really wanted to put your mind at ease you could contact askBU at; [email protected] (you could ask them about the bike prices as well if I haven't got back to you by then!)

3) I know that the system has been improved since I applied but if it is any help to you I got on really well with my first year housemates - still living with them now! I can remember a few personality questions, I don't remember what sort of questions but I do remember one ranking how much you would mind a noisy environment.

BU also has a buddying scheme in place for the arrivals so look out for that in your "welcome" communications!

Hope this has helped, let me or any of the other ambassadors know if you have any questions!

Thanks
Chris :biggrin:
Thank you very much Chris!
Original post by Paddythed
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hi Paddythed,

In terms of bike storage there is no charge to access the secure bike compunds. You will just need to get your student card validated at reception to give you access.

Cycle facilities on campus are for daily use only though, so you can't leave it there overnight. That is unless you are a resident at the Student Villiage (on campus accomodation) where you are allowed to leave your bike over night.

Also in regards to your third question, there will be a page where you will get to fill out your Lifestyle Profile. Here you will have a chance to put in your preferences. The things you will be rating yourself on will be:
Living environement: quiet - lively
Tidiness: untidy - very neat
Are you sporty: Dont like sports - Potential athlete
Do you like cooking: Not really - Aspiring chef
Do you like reading: Prefer TV - I love books
Sleep patterns: Go to bed early - I like late nights.

There will be a sliding scale for each and you will be able to place where you best fit.

There is also a drop down question that asks if you smoke.

Just as a heads up these details are not obligatory and not all students will decide to fill this page out, however most usually do and you will be able to see each others profiles when it comes to searching for a room.

Hope this helps,
Gemma :biggrin: (Student ambassador)
Original post by GuguM

Hi GuguM,

I study BA Television Production at BU, the course is either 3 years with a 4 week placement or an optional 4 years including a placement year. When I applied through UCAS I originally applied to do the 3 year course, however I am now in my second year and have only recently decided to do a placement year.

For my course it was a really simple procedure, I just had to fill in an opt in form and hand it in to the university and then on the student finance website I had to update my course by changing it from the 3 year to the 4 year option.

There was a few of us on my course that applied for the 3 year option and then changed in our second year, the good thing with it being optional is that you don't need to rush a decision. You have plenty of time to decide if you want to change, in fact we wasn’t told about the opt in forms until our second year when we had to start thinking about placements.

The likelihood is if your course is optional, the procedure will be somewhat the same. I think they expect student to change their mind about wanting or not wanting to do a placement, so there is no need to worry too much about it now.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Gemma :biggrin: (student ambassador)
Original post by Ratul96
Hello
My name is Ratul Sarkar.I am an international applicant from India and I have an unconditional offer to study Bsc(Hons)Games Technology starting September 2016.My question is regarding the enrollment process in the University.Is that an online process?Also do I have to bring the documents that I have uploaded and sent through myHub?I have also applied for the BU Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship on 15th April,the reference number of which is GENSCHOL1545.When can I expect to hear the decision regarding that?
Thank You

Hi Ratul96

Firstly congratulations of your unconditional offer at Bournemouth, I'm sure you will have a great time studying in England!

Hopefully these answer your questions:

1. The registration is an online process but the actual enrolment won't happen until your here at the university. It will involve you going into the campus one day and filling out a few forms.

2. You will be asked to show your original documents when you enrol for your course, so yes you will need to bring these documents along with you.

3. The deadline for the BU Vice-Chancellor Scholarship is the 31st of May, so you should hear back shortly after this date. However if you don't you can send an email to AskBU ([email protected]) who will be able to help.

I hope this helped and if you have any further questions feel free to ask :smile:
Gemma :biggrin: (Student Ambassador)
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi Ratul96

Firstly congratulations of your unconditional offer at Bournemouth, I'm sure you will have a great time studying in England!

Hopefully these answer your questions:

1. The registration is an online process but the actual enrolment won't happen until your here at the university. It will involve you going into the campus one day and filling out a few forms.

2. You will be asked to show your original documents when you enrol for your course, so yes you will need to bring these documents along with you.

3. The deadline for the BU Vice-Chancellor Scholarship is the 31st of May, so you should hear back shortly after this date. However if you don't you can send an email to AskBU ([email protected]) who will be able to help.

I hope this helped and if you have any further questions feel free to ask :smile:
Gemma :biggrin: (Student Ambassador)

Thank You for your reply.That clears most of my doubts.However there is one other question regarding the enrolment which is do I have to bring the same documents that I have already uploaded in myHub?
Original post by Ratul96
Thank You for your reply.That clears most of my doubts.However there is one other question regarding the enrolment which is do I have to bring the same documents that I have already uploaded in myHub?

Hi Ratu96

From mid-August, you will receive your welcome pack and enrolment letter, which will contain the details of the important documents you need to provide when you enrol, such as proof of your identity and any educational qualifications needed for entry to your course. This is likely to be the same documents you uploaded in myHub.

Hope this helps but if you have any further questions, please ask.

Sarah
I hope this thread is still active.I will probably be confirming my offer to study Games Technology in Bournemouth University this week itself.But before I do I just wanted to know how good the course is taught at the University,its career prospects and how does it stand compared to other universities teaching the same course.I have mostly been hearing only good things about BU and this specific course but some word of mouth from other students would be great.I am an international applicant from India and this is quite a significant decision for me both in terms of career and finance.
Original post by Ratul96
I hope this thread is still active.I will probably be confirming my offer to study Games Technology in Bournemouth University this week itself.But before I do I just wanted to know how good the course is taught at the University,its career prospects and how does it stand compared to other universities teaching the same course.I have mostly been hearing only good things about BU and this specific course but some word of mouth from other students would be great.I am an international applicant from India and this is quite a significant decision for me both in terms of career and finance.

Hi Ratul96

My name is Patricia and I'm a current student at BU and also a student Ambassador. Unfortunately I don't study Games Technology so I can't comment personally about the way the course is taught. However, I can say on a personal level is that BU have fantastic lecturers that really do enjoy what they teach and show great enthusuiasm when teaching. They don't spoon feed and so there will be plenty of times when you have to do independent study/research however, they are always there to help if you're struggling.

I understand that being in a different country and trying to make this decision is a bit more difficult. Hopefully, this information can help make that decision.

if you have any more questions, feel free to message me

Good Luck!
Patricia :biggrin:
Original post by Patricia.Obawole
Hi Ratul96

My name is Patricia and I'm a current student at BU and also a student Ambassador. Unfortunately I don't study Games Technology so I can't comment personally about the way the course is taught. However, I can say on a personal level is that BU have fantastic lecturers that really do enjoy what they teach and show great enthusuiasm when teaching. They don't spoon feed and so there will be plenty of times when you have to do independent study/research however, they are always there to help if you're struggling.

I understand that being in a different country and trying to make this decision is a bit more difficult. Hopefully, this information can help make that decision.

if you have any more questions, feel free to message me

Good Luck!
Patricia :biggrin:

Thanks...this does allay my fears a lot.
However, a course specific advice would be great.But this does help and thank you
Ratul Sarkar
Hi, I missed my accommodation opening yesterday as i had an exam and prioritised that, then it opened again from 5 till end of july but the accommodation i like and many others are unavailable. Does that mean that i have missed my chance and i have to pick the remaining ones or do they keep updating new available accommodation?
Original post by Mich_shell
Hi, I missed my accommodation opening yesterday as i had an exam and prioritised that, then it opened again from 5 till end of july but the accommodation i like and many others are unavailable. Does that mean that i have missed my chance and i have to pick the remaining ones or do they keep updating new available accommodation?

Hi Mich_shell

You were right to prioritise your exam and I hope it went well.

If there are no rooms available in the building you prefer then they have all been booked. There will be some cancellations and these rooms will be released back to the portal so I suggest you keep checking. However, our advice would be to book from what is available now rather than risk even less choice as other rooms get booked. We are unable to guarantee that the accommodation you want will become available.

Good luck and please get in touch with us at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

Best wishes

Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending