The Student Room Group

Why can't this site bring back negs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cos all my gems would be red then :lol:
Original post by Snufkin
The majority of people who say they miss neg rep weren't even on TSR when neg was around. :toofunny: Rep should be removed entirely; it serves no function at all.

Agreed - here, have some rep :wink:
Yes but I think there should be a limit of 1 or perhaps 2 per day so that people are discouraged from trolling, making the neg system more accurate and trustworthy.

Edit: Maybe the ability to neg rep could be earnt somehow? That means people can't create a load of new accounts just to troll with neg reps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
I'm pretty close to hitting 11 gems. Pre neg ban I was -7.

Of course.

You just have to post a lot of extreme views all the ones agreeing will rep, but currently no one can neg.

My first account was on like -8 within a few months, I changed a bit how I post and then I was on like +7 in no time. And that was before the initial rework of the rep system. After it was just ludicrously easy to gain pos. And just the cry babies that couldn't bear see their trash being negged got rid of the negs.
Original post by Snufkin
The majority of people who say they miss neg rep weren't even on TSR when neg was around. :toofunny: Rep should be removed entirely; it serves no function at all.

It did when you have both pos and neg reps.

Now you are right, it makes little sense just having pos.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Neg rep restricts free debate. What sort of a debate is it if you get negged by anyone who disagrees?

It doesn't restrict anything. That's like saying what sort of debate is it if people disagree with your opinion

Original post by RachaelBee
I don't want them back, it annoyed me too much when people had a well reasoned opinion but got negged just because it was a different view to the one someone else held.

Does it annoy you when terribly reasoned arguements get positive rep? (And they do)

Original post by carrotstar
Yes but I think there should be a limit of 1 or perhaps 2 per day so that people are discouraged from trolling, making the neg system more accurate and trustworthy.

Edit: Maybe the ability to neg rep could be earnt somehow? That means people can't create a load of new accounts just to troll with neg reps.

I agree. Well new users can't give positive rep as such, it has '0' effect on a users overall reputation, so maybe the same thing for neg rep. For example, you need a certain amount of posts or positive reputation before you can neg rep.

Original post by Snufkin

This is how I feel, but at the moment we have a positive rep system, whilst I'd prefer no rep, I'd at least like to see neg rep AND positive rep if it is going to exist.

Original post by 999tigger
Why not make each post have an up and down vote. cant say im a fan of the rep system, but neg rating just encourages popularism and going after the poster rather than anything they have said.

So like Youtube? Where there is no accumulation of 'thumbs up/down' as a user, but per comment? That's a good system I suppose. Well having a positive rep system still encourages 'rep races'.

Users care way too much about it. If rep scares users from posting their opinion then abolish the whole thing, surely? Positive rep on it's own is a useless function.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why not make each post have an up and down vote. cant say im a fan of the rep system, but neg rating just encourages popularism and going after the poster rather than anything they have said.
If they bring back negs you would lose all of your gems lmao

Original post by Ananaz
Those damn Islamophobes!!! :angry: How dare they say anything against such perfect faultless religion???

Spoiler

were too afraid to share our opinion irl so lets just talk **** about islam on tsr, right babe? :smile:
Original post by Isabella d'Anjou
you are funny ! why do you refer to yourself in third person as a bear and why is bear a trademark ?

bof :pierre:

c'est pour le lol

translation compliance:

Spoiler

Very good suggestions and all rep both positive and negative in any site or forum should be restricted. Does this site have unlimited ability to give thumbs up?

I believe positive rep is limited to something like 5 a day, or at least it used to be. However if people were to create numerous accounts to repeatedly neg rep one post or user, I think it should be invisible to the poster and other users and have no effect on their rep overall.
The site can, they just won't .
I believe positive rep is limited to something like 5 a day, or at least it used to be. However if people were to create numerous accounts to repeatedly neg rep one post or user, I think it should be invisible to the poster and other users and have no effect on their rep overall.

It wouldn't. Brand new users would have no 'rep power', so any new users would only be able to neg you '-0', having no effect on your overall score, but still making any post of yours rated lower.
you do not have to talk to me in French bear !

but is this username a trademark ? or just a joke ?

mais si il faut parler la langue d'amour :mmm:

bear™ blagueur™

translation compliance:

Spoiler

I strongly want neg rep to return, it was a quick and useful way to show disapproval of a bad and/or unhelpful post. The so-called neg rep bullying only affected a minuscule number of posters and the opposite effect can be argued for just having pos rep: that excessive amounts of brown-nosing and rep fishing have taken over.

I don't agree with the justification that removing neg rep was that so that one could articulate a response against a post they found unhelpful. The truth is that it would be extremely tedious and very impractical to have to reply to every single post you disagreed with, what's wrong with giving a quick negative rating? I also see no evidence that removing it has actually encouraged people to speak out against these posts more. It's just created the effect where horrible posts can only be pos repped, giving the impression to others, and especially to newer members, that they are actually helpful when their neg rep score would have probably far outnumbered the positive rating. I see it quite frankly as ludicrous that we're being treated like toddlers who can't bear to have negative criticism levelled against us.

In short, it's hugely pointless to just have pos rep, either bring back negs or get rid of rep altogether.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Does it annoy you when terribly reasoned arguements get positive rep? (And they do)

That annoys me less because if someone has put thought into what they're writing (even if it's wrong) then they and the people who took time to read everything are usually more open to a discussion and learning, however that could also be down to how I personally use to forum. If it's a particularly inflammatory topic where I know there will be people spewing rubbish then I'll avoid it. For example, under latest discussions there's a thread with the title "Man stabs 4 people in Munich - Shouts Allahu Ackbar" and that's not the sort of thing I'd bother clicking on.
Original post by Drewski
It wouldn't. Brand new users would have no 'rep power', so any new users would only be able to neg you '-0', having no effect on your overall score, but still making any post of yours rated lower.

Yes but I mean they shouldn't be able to rep full stop for a certain length of time because even if a user's rep isn't affected by someone negging their post, it is still negative and could be taken the wrong way if abused.
This is the trouble because I was messaged yesterday about being careful with some of my information as apparently there can be mean people on here and I think if you had a thumbs down people would press it to just gang up on people maybe ?

It would need to be controlled, so you can only thumb up and thumb down if you have been here for say a few weeks ?

Yes I agree, except maybe a certain rep should be achieved by a user rather than a time scale.

You can now pos rep an unlimited number of times a day, but only the same person once in a 24 hour period.
Reply 38
Original post by intelligent con
Some things need to be negged and I really want to neg some users (mainly anyone who insults islam or supports UKIP). I'm fed up of having to pretend that everyone opinion on this site is valuable and I hate seeing idiotic posts get reps and no negs. We need to bring them back NOW.

I concur, i really want ro neg those supporters of Islam.
Original post by RachaelBee
That annoys me less because if someone has put thought into what they're writing (even if it's wrong) then they and the people who took time to read everything are usually more open to a discussion and learning, however that could also be down to how I personally use to forum. If it's a particularly inflammatory topic where I know there will be people spewing rubbish then I'll avoid it. For example, under latest discussions there's a thread with the title "Man stabs 4 people in Munich - Shouts Allahu Ackbar" and that's not the sort of thing I'd bother clicking on.

Is there any evidence that removing neg rep has opened more discussion? I was around during neg rep and in my opinion there was just as much discussion then as there is now. In fact, I believe the levels of trolling have actually significantly increased since neg rep removal because trolls know their rep score can only go up regardless of the nonsense they spew. At least pos and neg rep genuinely distinguished between the helpful and troll posters.

Quick Reply

Latest