The Student Room Group

Speeding tickets!!

I got 4 speeding tickets last week on the way home from work, I thought it was a 40mph but it was 30, I got the first ticket on Tuesday so I slowed down and did the limit, but now I've received three more (they're all for the same week) what can I do ?? I'm a safe driver and I've always had a clean license. Is there anything I can do to prevent the points ??
Original post by littlemissmaya
I got 4 speeding tickets last week on the way home from work, I thought it was a 40mph but it was 30, I got the first ticket on Tuesday so I slowed down and did the limit, but now I've received three more (they're all for the same week) what can I do ?? I'm a safe driver and I've always had a clean license. Is there anything I can do to prevent the points ??

try walking
try walking your lucky to be able to run a car at uni
Reply 3
Normally for the first you can usually do a speed awareness course to avoid the points so long as you pay for it and you weren't ridiculously over the speed limit. I think you usually get the option to do this when the speeding ticket is sent to you.

For the others, i really don't think there's anything you can do. Carelessness simply isn't an excuse and the fact that it's not a one off goes against you. If you don't think you were over the speed limit, ask to see evidence but imo you must have been. The cameras are set to only go off when you're 10% over the speed limit.

Get a push bike then you could ride down hill past the speed-cameras as fast as you like and get away with it :wink:

Tbh cycling will make you healthier, save parking fees, get to front of traffic queues, dismount and walk around red traffic lights then get back on and cycle away. I always feel much more liberated cycling compared to driving. Too many rules, too much congestion. There's no pleasure in driving these days.
Reply 5

Just drive safely....
You'll probably have your license suspended for four tickets :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hann95
Normally for the first you can usually do a speed awareness course to avoid the points so long as you pay for it and you weren't ridiculously over the speed limit. I think you usually get the option to do this when the speeding ticket is sent to you.

For the others, i really don't think there's anything you can do. Carelessness simply isn't an excuse and the fact that it's not a one off goes against you. If you don't think you were over the speed limit, ask to see evidence but imo you must have been. The cameras are set to only go off when you're 10% over the speed limit.

Too fudging right! In fact carelessness when operating any kind of potentially dangerous machinery or equipment should be considered a crime in itself.

However for the sake of bloody speed limits, most people do it consciously and therefore not careless assuming they are not doing it in a stupid way (on a phone, through a park etc). In most cases speeding isnt dangerous due to the fact that speed limits are ridiculously low. I struggle to do less than 90mph on an empty motorway and Im not dead, not even had a close call at high speed simply because I apply rare sense and only do it in an environment suitable for high speed.
I would claim my car was stolen "while I was away" or something and go and trash the car in a remote field. Better to lose the car than lose the license. Failing that if the speeding fines were all in the same journey you might be able to get them all rolled into one fine and 3 points or something. Dont know the legal stuff so my advice could be bollox, dont rely on it too much.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Get a push bike then you could ride down hill past the speed-cameras as fast as you like and get away with it :wink:

Tbh cycling will make you healthier, save parking fees, get to front of traffic queues, dismount and walk around red traffic lights then get back on and cycle away. I always feel much more liberated cycling compared to driving. Too many rules, too much congestion. There's no pleasure in driving these days.

This too. Driving is a mugs game. You pay through the nose to get a license, then drain more of your bank account keeping everything legal and tip top, then when you get out on the road you have to drive really slowly either coz of speed cams, or because you physically cant go faster than a butterfly in gale force headwind due to traffic. For the same cost I can simply go and get cancer and die, apparently smoking is much more pleasant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending