The Student Room Group

Didn’t see police car on blues at juction

My lights were green could hear sirens and I checked my mirrors and didn’t see anything. So continued as lights were still green and as I passed in the middle of the road the police car was coming from the right side where his light would have being red, the police car didn’t sound his horn or nothing and I wasn’t speeding and my light was still green.

When I checked back in my mirror the police car was still in the middle of the road, I’m worried I’m going to get a ticket or points because I didn’t see them.

It’s an honest mistake but my light was green and I wasn’t speeding and their lights would have being red.
Reply 1
You will not get a ticket. Compared to what cars in blues have to put up with every day, what you did won’t even register
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
You will not get a ticket. Compared to what cars in blues have to put up with every day, what you did won’t even register

I just found it odd that it had the sirens on and then when I had passed them and checked the mirror the sirens were off and the police car was still in the middle of road. That’s why I’m thinking did they get my registration number as I went passed and then they are going to send me fine or I’ll get points or something. I over think things really bad but it was an honest mistake and if I had seen them I wouldn’t have gone through the green light.
Reply 3
Original post by Emmapayne1988
I just found it odd that it had the sirens on and then when I had passed them and checked the mirror the sirens were off and the police car was still in the middle of road. That’s why I’m thinking did they get my registration number as I went passed and then they are going to send me fine or I’ll get points or something. I over think things really bad but it was an honest mistake and if I had seen them I wouldn’t have gone through the green light.

What have you done thst would attract a fine or points? The light was on green.
Reply 4
Original post by moonkatt
What have you done thst would attract a fine or points? The light was on green.

Because I didn’t see the police car coming from the other side and it was on flashing blue lights and I didn’t let it pass (I didn’t see it) I was already in the middle of the junction when I clocked it coming from the right side of me when it was wanting to go through the lights. I’m just paranoid that I’ll get points or a fine cos I got in their way.
If it was just sitting there it may have been holding the traffic or waiting for something else.

It's their job to move safely around other vehicles.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
If it was just sitting there it may have been holding the traffic or waiting for something else.

It's their job to move safely around other vehicles.

So what do you think the likelihood of getting points/fine?
Reply 7
As near zero as makes no difference
Original post by Emmapayne1988
So what do you think the likelihood of getting points/fine?

Zero.

It's good manners to help them on their way but it's not an offence to have not vanished when they are the ones going on red, (and from your description they weren't going either because something else was going on or they determined it wasn't safe to do so).
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
Zero.

It's good manners to help them on their way but it's not an offence to have not vanished when they are the ones going on red, (and from your description they weren't going either because something else was going on or they determined it wasn't safe to do so).

Ok thank you for everyone’s help and guidance.
Reply 10
The law doesn't actually /say/ you have to get out of the way of emergency vehicles, hence why its still illegal to run a red if moving out of the way of a police car etc. Your light was green, you had right of way, no issue. Legally, it's the blue light driver's job to manoeuvre around you, not the other way round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending