The Student Room Group

Core biology 2016 aqa - how did you find it?

Hey guys, just wondering how you found B1? I really disliked some of the questions...most of the factual stuff that I'd been revising didn't come up - your thoughts on the exam?

WTF IS AN INDEPENDENT COMPANY AND SINCE WHEN HAS THAT BEEN ON THE SPECIFICATION?!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know right! That question was ridiculous...
I guessed around it saying like the government has no involvement nor do any other businesses in what they do so their work cannot be biased or something...

Lamark wasn't on. Menstrual cycle. Hormones. Embryonic transplants. Tissue culture. Cuttings. Genetics. Asexual reproduction. Sexual reproduction, the tropisms or auxin... I'm sure there's loads more you'll all come up with too...

Then the last question about indicating species my class had never even been over...

Hopefully if we all kinda point put these silly things, like the first question especially then they may lower grade boundaries...
For the independent company I just said a company that is not affiliated with the drug company, literally hope I passed that mess of an exam lmao.
I said a company that is not linked with the drug company. The paper was SO horrible. I don't think it was hard, but I think anyone could have done it, who has never studied biology. Where was the menstrual cycle, carbon cycle, auxin, drug trials, or anything off the spec? The spec actually states 'you do not need to know the functions of nutrients in the body'. Pretty sure the boundaries will be low as twitter is going crazy. I know I made a mistake by missing out fibre, and changing my 0.66% to 66%. :frown:
Easiest 6 mark i've seen
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I actually didn't mind most of the paper; most of the questions were how science works, so logic mainly.
HOWEVER I completely messed up on the 6 marker, my brain just blanked when it came to naming fibre,fats and vitamins and what they did...
Also annoyed that so much didn't even come up!
Original post by Maryamh19
I actually didn't mind most of the paper; most of the questions were how science works, so logic mainly.
HOWEVER I completely messed up on the 6 marker, my brain just blanked when it came to naming fibre,fats and vitamins and what they did...

Just go on the AQA website and finish every single past paper there is on the unit and bang you'll get good grades
Reply 7
Original post by emilyjean113
Hey guys, just wondering how you found B1? I really disliked some of the questions...most of the factual stuff that I'd been revising didn't come up - your thoughts on the exam?

WTF IS AN INDEPENDENT COMPANY AND SINCE WHEN HAS THAT BEEN ON THE SPECIFICATION?!

I thought the paper was alright as a whole but I didn't have enough time to finish it, even though I wrote rlly quickly lmao
I think it was decent it could have been worse! Have you guys seen the 2012 paper compared to this we were quite lucky since last year's paper was easier so they could have made it 100× harder but they didn't.😭😭
I put ''drug trials'':/

THATS WHAT I SAID!!!! my teacher said it was a company that works on their own so luckily thats what i put!
I was working right up to the end...:frown:
hope i did OK...
Well that was fun... For most of that, you didn't even need any knowledge of the subject? I just hope the other sciences aren't the same.
Could be worse i miss read the "independent company" as "independent country" so lets hope the mark scheme is kind.

As for timing, i struggled i wrote so much about the 4 mark q for the evolution of the hoofs being evidence for dawin and then ran out of time on the last Q's and did not include any facts and figures in my analysis of the data.

And in relation too the 6 mark q's i found it a bit odd, i am used to them giving you an article or an extract to base it on but there was nothing, i was relay not prepared a tall of that. What i was expecting to come did not come. TBH i don't know what the questions were abut there was very little biology in it.
Original post by konkord123
Just go on the AQA website and finish every single past paper there is on the unit and bang you'll get good grades

Yes I've been doing that, must have completed each Bio Core paper from 2011 onward like 3 times.
I'm just scared for additional and extension now..
If Chem and Physics are as bad as this...:s-smilie:

ok i hope they bring grade boundaries diwn
i wonder how hard chem phys
is going to be
???
Original post by Maryamh19

Yea I messed up on that too, I didn't expect to see it. All the stuff I revised didn't come up :/
Original post by Mr.Bezhead
Yea I messed up on that too, I didn't expect to see it. All the stuff I revised didn't come up :/

Ahh thank godd I thought it was only me that flopped that.. Everyone else was freaking about the other questions which I thought weren't too bad acc
Original post by Sabhani2000
ok i hope they bring grade boundaries diwn
i wonder how hard chem phys
is going to be
???

Yeah Ik! Hopefully bc there weren't many of the main topics on this exam we might get a nice fractional distillation question on C1..fingers crossed😊

As for physics, I have no idea! Maybe something on underage drinking would be nice..lol😂😂
I feel this paper was unfair. It was full of logical questions but not questions relating to the specification that my teacher prepared me for. I was feeling nervous already but thought that I knew the information that was required only to find that my revision had been practically pointless as the questions had nothing to do with what had revised. I feel very disappointed for everyone who has taken this exam as we were all at a disadvantage, who ever wrote this paper should seriously reconsider the grade boundaries bearing in mind many people feel disheartened by the paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending