The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please explain how palaeomagnatism supports plate tectonics theory? With the Mid-Atlantic Drift as an example
I dont understand the principles on it
[QUOTE=tcameron;64897079]Can someone please explain how palaeomagnatism supports plate tectonics theory? With the Mid-Atlantic Drift as an example
I dont understand the principles on it

Palaeagnetism is the study of the history of the Earth's magnetic field. Deep sea exploration began in 1948 and in 1962 Harry Hess discovered the Mid Atlantic Ridge. After further study of the oceanic crust here he discovered that there were alternating bands of solidified iron particles facing the direction of the earth's magnetic field at the time they cooled. So, each band represents around 300,000 years of oceanic crust. After further exploration he found that oceanic crust was being created at this ridge due to submarine volcanoes. Therefore, the sea floor must be spreading. However, as the earths size isn't increasing, crust must also be destroyed elsewhere - this lead to the discovery of destructive boundaries/subduction zones.
Original post by Atomicmat
Palaeagnetism is the study of the history of the Earth's magnetic field. Deep sea exploration began in 1948 and in 1962 Harry Hess discovered the Mid Atlantic Ridge. After further study of the oceanic crust here he discovered that there were alternating bands of solidified iron particles facing the direction of the earth's magnetic field at the time they cooled. So, each band represents around 300,000 years of oceanic crust. After further exploration he found that oceanic crust was being created at this ridge due to submarine volcanoes. Therefore, the sea floor must be spreading. However, as the earths size isn't increasing, crust must also be destroyed elsewhere - this lead to the discovery of destructive boundaries/subduction zones.

Thank you so much!
Reply 183
Original post by 09ekennedy
The World Cities 40 mark essay may be geared towards Sustainability as they haven't asked a essay relating to that as recently?

So sustainability in terms of waste/ travel?
Reply 184
Any predictions for the short questions on tectonics/ development and globalisation?
Original post by SJJ97
Any predictions for the short questions on tectonics/ development and globalisation?

For development I think the 10 marker could be 'sustainable tourism myth or reality' as the other 2 questions have come up which are economic vs environmental sustainability and trade vs aid which came up last year.
Reply 186
shitting myself for this exam, millionnnnnnn case studies
Original post by sarah_hhhh
Is anyone retaking GEOG2 skills this friday? & any tips for the exam?

Me! I have a feeling that the statistical skills questions will be about rivers, as it was population last time wasn't it? I'm just hoping to see 'describe and comment on this photo' for one of the quesitons hahaha
Original post by SJJ97
So sustainability in terms of waste/ travel?

Yep :-)
I really hope it is going to be the theory for the Plate Tectonics essay 😄 any predictions for the ecosystems essay?
Original post by Atomicmat
I really hope it is going to be the theory for the Plate Tectonics essay 😄 any predictions for the ecosystems essay?

I really hope that it's theory behind plate tectonics as well!
Could they ask us about continental drift theory instead of plate tectonics ?
Original post by SubwayLover1
Could they ask us about continental drift theory instead of plate tectonics ?

No, but Wegeners initial ideas were on continental drift
Reply 193
Hey, anyone have Short tectonic questions prediction!????
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by SJJ97
Hey, anyone have Short tectonic questions prediction!????

I reckon it's gonna be on earthquakes/tsunamis this year.
Reply 195
Original post by 08hussainf
For development I think the 10 marker could be 'sustainable tourism myth or reality' as the other 2 questions have come up which are economic vs environmental sustainability and trade vs aid which came up last year.

For development/globalisation, I think it might be the growth of groupings of nations as an 8 marker then impacs of this for a 10 mark. Or they could ask for the growth of NICs as an 8 mark, and the impacts for a 10 marker.
Reply 196
WORLD CITIES 40 MARKER PREDICTIONS?
Can they ask a 40mark for a whole process. So for example, ' Discuss the causes and consequences of urbanisation '
I've got a dilemma about my Geog3 AQA, we have been taught 4 different topics really well, and I'm pretty good at remembering stuff from all of them. (Defo better at physical essays than human).
So I don't know if I should keep revising all of plate tectonics, weather & climate, world cities and development & globalisation? It would give me a good chance to do well to choose my essay question or maybe drop a horrible structured question
Or if I revise 3 so I can remember more of the content?
Anyone else in this situation?
Original post by HarryPea122
I've got a dilemma about my Geog3 AQA, we have been taught 4 different topics really well, and I'm pretty good at remembering stuff from all of them. (Defo better at physical essays than human).
So I don't know if I should keep revising all of plate tectonics, weather & climate, world cities and development & globalisation? It would give me a good chance to do well to choose my essay question or maybe drop a horrible structured question
Or if I revise 3 so I can remember more of the content?
Anyone else in this situation?

Hey:smile: Funnily enough I am doing the same topics as you, but am more interested in the human topics, I cannot get my head around weather and climate so have decided not to waste my time learning something I'm not interested in and if I have time at the end I'll go through it but I would suggest focussing your efforts on the 3 topics to know them inside out, it is very likely that you'll find a physical essay you can do!
Original post by naz.97
WORLD CITIES 40 MARKER PREDICTIONS?
Can they ask a 40mark for a whole process. So for example, ' Discuss the causes and consequences of urbanisation '

They could ask that but i reckon they may possibly want us to compare factors causing urbanisation and management of urbanisation across different parts of the world

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending