The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
It will be interesting to see what Klopp's game plan becomes for next season. Firmino hasn't really thrived behind the striker or playing as a second striker? Seems to go missing in games even if he's at the right place to get goals. Some of his stats are padded out by when he played as the lone striker.

Gotze has a decent goal scoring record though so maybe he can be the player in the middle who we get goals from? Crazy to think he's been at Bayern Munich for 3 seasons already.

We do need to work out a plan to get the best of Coutinho and Firmino because at the moment I'm not entirely convinced we do see the best of them..

I know, the hope is just that if we somehow convinced him to come, Götze would be the spark we need in midfield. The more people focus on him, the less attention that Coutinho/Firmjno/Sturridge have, and we all know how dangerous they can be when they get space.

I think we have a really good chance of silverware next season. Klopp already got us to 2 trophies without any squad additions - if we're able to bring in players and have no Europa League distractions, I don't think that's unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to be positive out of the ruins of two cup final defeats, but we might as well be as optimistic as we can right now.
Second paragraph is a bit of a stretch - we hardly lose all the time. We win more than we lose (and have done over the past 5 seasons in the league as a sample) unless you were to rephrase to "used to not winning" since draws obviously account for closer to 30% of our results.

Third paragraph also makes it sound like we ground our way to the final rather than some dramatic and emotional football to get there.

Describing Sturridge's goal you don't even mention Moreno's run which pulls the CB wider to give Sturridge the gap to score.

Don't mention that Lovren's goal was ruled offside because Sturridge interfered in play.

On attracting players - you ignore the pull of Liverpool as a club and the high wages we can still offer even without European football.

Not your best effort. 5/10.

Ok
Original post by Lúcio
I know, the hope is just that if we somehow convinced him to come, Götze would be the spark we need in midfield. The more people focus on him, the less attention that Coutinho/Firmjno/Sturridge have, and we all know how dangerous they can be when they get space.

I think we have a really good chance of silverware next season. Klopp already got us to 2 trophies without any squad additions - if we're able to bring in players and have no Europa League distractions, I don't think that's unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to be positive out of the ruins of two cup final defeats, but we might as well be as optimistic as we can right now.

Liverpool played 63 games this season
38 of which were in the Premier League
15 of which were in the Europa League
6 of which were in the League Cup
4 of which were in the FA Cup

Quite a few players with a lot of games under their belt this season..

You struggle to see where a lot of them will get game time next campaign, though. Obviously, Skrtel is surplus to requirements, as is Bogdan. Kolo Toure is unlikely to be playing next season for us, by all accounts, but I've heard rumblings that the club may be offering him a non-playing deal.

Aside from that, where do the likes of Chirivella, Stewart, Brannagan, Randall, even Lucas, Flanagan, Smith, get game time? I think we'll see Ojo quite a lot in cameo roles, to be honest. He's had an impact when introduced from the bench - and he's the type of player I can see Klopp deploying, capable of creating a chance, and that's what we'll likely need when it's 0-0 with West Brom at Anfield with 20 minutes left on a midweek night.
Original post by LFC_RV
Ok

Don't be like that.

You post your reviews on this thread so we can read them and I've our opinions, good or bad. After losing the Europa League final, this is always going to be a hard one to write so I wouldn't take it to heart.

Zerf gave his honest opinion without malice or disdain. The best thing you can do is discuss things with him because that's the whole point of why we all post in this thread.
Liverpool played 63 games this season
38 of which were in the Premier League
15 of which were in the Europa League
6 of which were in the League Cup
4 of which were in the FA Cup

As Mackay states above, next season will very much harm our youth prospects. I don't think we have any other choice though - I'm confident of a serious top 4 challenge and a cup run, but with a squad as large as ours, that means we're going to have little room for too many youngsters.

I would loan the most promising ones out and sell the individuals who are too old/poor quality to make it. I'd rather us keep players like Allen and Lallana on the bench rather than offloading them and having Brannagan and Teixeira there instead.
Original post by Lúcio
Don't be like that.

You post your reviews on this thread so we can read them and I've our opinions, good or bad. After losing the Europa League final, this is always going to be a hard one to write so I wouldn't take it to heart.

Zerf gave his honest opinion without malice or disdain. The best thing you can do is discuss things with him because that's the whole point of why we all post in this thread.

All I said was ok. Stop making a big deal, I accept that it was crap, I already warned people it would be, just gave my opinions.
In all honesty writing's not exactly my thing I just do it because I like it, so if i'm crap who cares.
Original post by LFC_RV
All I said was ok. Stop making a big deal, I accept that it was crap, I already warned people it would be, just gave my opinions.
In all honesty writing's not exactly my thing I just do it because I like it, so if i'm crap who cares.

Nobody said it was poor - the majority of your reviews are decent reads. I haven't read this one personally because I'd rather forget about this season in all honesty.

It's just an effect of losing the final. Had we won, I can assure you you'd have exclusively good opinions on whatever you wrote. Like I said, don't take it to heart - if you like writing, do it anyway.
Original post by Mackay
You struggle to see where a lot of them will get game time next campaign, though. Obviously, Skrtel is surplus to requirements, as is Bogdan. Kolo Toure is unlikely to be playing next season for us, by all accounts, but I've heard rumblings that the club may be offering him a non-playing deal.

Aside from that, where do the likes of Chirivella, Stewart, Brannagan, Randall, even Lucas, Flanagan, Smith, get game time? I think we'll see Ojo quite a lot in cameo roles, to be honest. He's had an impact when introduced from the bench - and he's the type of player I can see Klopp deploying, capable of creating a chance, and that's what we'll likely need when it's 0-0 with West Brom at Anfield with 20 minutes left on a midweek night.

Yea I think that extended EL run along with decent progress in domestic cup competitions is why some players have so many appearances this season. Would Kev Stewart 11 appearances in any other season? Not even sure Ojo gets much game time if we buy a player like Gotze and Markovic comes back. I'd expect Ibe to go out on loan..

We can obviously go into next season with a smaller squad otherwise plenty of players will get annoyed that they didn't play enough. I expect we'll see a lot of outs this summer..

Enrique (already gone)
Rossiter (already gone)
Teixeira
Balotelli
Bogdan
Caulker
Alberto
Toure
Skrtel
Yesil
Benteke
Ilori
Stewart?
Markovic?
Allen?
Lucas?
Ibe?

And that's probably even without new players coming in.
Original post by Lúcio
As Mackay states above, next season will very much harm our youth prospects. I don't think we have any other choice though - I'm confident of a serious top 4 challenge and a cup run, but with a squad as large as ours, that means we're going to have little room for too many youngsters.

I would loan the most promising ones out and sell the individuals who are too old/poor quality to make it. I'd rather us keep players like Allen and Lallana on the bench rather than offloading them and having Brannagan and Teixeira there instead.

Not just youth but also fringe players - look at someone like Harry Kane who got his break for Spurs by playing fantastically well in the Europa League for Spurs first. No longer any easy PL games so even riskier to give players a chance to prove themselves.

I wonder if Klopp will change the direction of our approach to youth players again? Or if that has already been determined higher up by FSG/committee.
Original post by The.Joker
He's that highly rated? I've never heard of him before but he sounds like a great option considering Moreno has regular defensive lapses. I really hope we get him, apparently he has rejected a new contract offer from Leicester.

I am overselling him tbh, but throughout the years, he has seemed like a great prospect with a lot of potential so I would be annoyed. He been wanted by Arsenal from last summer, so I would think he is quite highly rated, considering I don't think he has played a premier league game as yet. I think he rejected a £18,000 new deal, but I think Leicester will come in with a 25-30k deal.
Original post by samiz20891
I am overselling him tbh, but throughout the years, he has seemed like a great prospect with a lot of potential so I would be annoyed. He been wanted by Arsenal from last summer, so I would think he is quite highly rated, considering I don't think he has played a premier league game as yet. I think he rejected a £18,000 new deal, but I think Leicester will come in with a 25-30k deal.

Rather we bought someone who was 5-10 years older and closer to the finished article.
So how do we rate our signings from last summer after their first season at Liverpool? I'll rate out of 10

Milner - 6.5 (solid, lots of games, gave us experience but another workhorse rather than a superstar. While he's regularly been a starter and done well in terms of goals and assists, you'd imagine his position is under threat next season)
Clyne - 8 (generally settled well and quickly, no other RB or fullback has gotten close to him this season. Struggled playing wingback but Mr Consistency for us this season. Could improve in the attacking third but we look to have sorted a problem position for years to come)
Benteke - 4 (when you consider his price and wages it has just been terrible. Hasn't fit in with the style that either manager wanted and looked bereft of confidence all season)
Firmino - 7.5 (has been a spark for us and getting goals/assists. Some fantastic footwork and ability but needs to improve on not drifting out of games. Also needs to learn not to pass to the other team so regularly. Has a high potential ceiling and it will do wonders for him that he's had a decent first season)
Origi 7 - signed 12 months ago but spent that on loan at Lille. Took some time to get into the side but once he got going under Klopp he has looked like a different animal. Seems to have all the right tools to do well in the Premier League and next season will be important for him. Unlucky to get injured at the wrong time once he was getting a run of games. Another with a bright future)
Bogdan - 2 (signed to be backup but even when everyone was screaming for Mignolet to be dropped, Bodgan showed that it can always be much much worse. Waste of money and being turned out after one season says it all)
Ings - N/A (with only 9 appearences it's hard to judge him. Had looked like he was starting to settle before injury ruined his season. Has a tough task next season with so many players ahead of him but Klopp should like his style.
Gomez - N/A (again hard to score with only 7 appearances but looked to have bags of potential in those games)
Flicked through and saw some stuff about Karius coming as a back up. Absolutely no chance.

He's a much better keeper than Mignolet already and if he doesn't start the season as the undisputed number one, he will definitely finish it as that.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Na he plays on the right of a 4-3-3.
Kagawa Castro and Gundogan play in the centre for Dortmund in central midfield, which is probably the most suited position for Gotze in the Dortmund team. I'm inclined to think he'd get in the team over Kagawa.

Nope, Weigl plays deepest with one of Castro, Sahin and Gundogan next to him. And then there's a broad kind of hybrid position at RCM, where the RCM (usually Castro but sometimes Durm or Gundogan I think) plays as a CM, but move out wide when Mkhi picks up the ball. When Shinji plays it's a more normal 4-2-3-1 with him pulling the strings as the 10. Gotze would never get in ahead of Auba, Reus or Mkhi, and both Dembele and Pulisic will get big minutes next season. I don't know much about Passlack but he too is in the frame.

Shinji already does very well as their regular rotation option, there's no need to sign Gotze to rotate with Shinji in what is already a rotation space and an alternate formation. Kicker have already reported that a move to Dortmund is not an option and that Dortmund don't want him, and I believe another reliable source has said that Dortmund would only be interested if it was on a free next season. And that's without considering the opposition of their fans.

So there's neither the space in the squad nor the desire from any level of their club to have Gotze right now.
Where would Gotze fit in at Arsenal when they already have Ozil? There is RW but Mahrez would be a better signing for them at RW.
Milner - 6.5 (solid, lots of games, gave us experience but another workhorse rather than a superstar. While he's regularly been a starter and done well in terms of goals and assists, you'd imagine his position is under threat next season)

21 goals or assists this season, which is more than 'superstars' Firmino and Coutinho. Only three were penalties. I think 6.5 is extremely harsh. I can see him starting a similar number of games next season, he's productive, gritty and he's a winner, and we clearly don't have enough of those.
Original post by samir12
Where would Gotze fit in at Arsenal when they already have Ozil? There is RW but Mahrez would be a better signing for them at RW.

Whilst nobody can underestimate Wenger's ability of buying lightweight attacking midfielders that clearly aren't what they need, Gotze doesn't fit in there at all. Which makes it weird why you mentioned them as a potential target. Anyway they'll probably secure Xhaka soon and two outfield signings in a window will give Wenger a nosebleed.

I've said it before, the only alternatives Gotze has to LFC are Juve and staying at Bayern. Both of which would be career suicide.
Reply 7698
Original post by Ass State
Nope, Weigl plays deepest with one of Castro, Sahin and Gundogan next to him. And then there's a broad kind of hybrid position at RCM, where the RCM (usually Castro but sometimes Durm or Gundogan I think) plays as a CM, but move out wide when Mkhi picks up the ball. When Shinji plays it's a more normal 4-2-3-1 with him pulling the strings as the 10. Gotze would never get in ahead of Auba, Reus or Mkhi, and both Dembele and Pulisic will get big minutes next season. I don't know much about Passlack but he too is in the frame.

Shinji already does very well as their regular rotation option, there's no need to sign Gotze to rotate with Shinji in what is already a rotation space and an alternate formation. Kicker have already reported that a move to Dortmund is not an option and that Dortmund don't want him, and I believe another reliable source has said that Dortmund would only be interested if it was on a free next season. And that's without considering the opposition of their fans.

So there's neither the space in the squad nor the desire from any level of their club to have Gotze right now.

Wrt Weigl, didn't mention him because I was talking about the CM positions in the 4-3-3 rather than the entire midfield. I was more saying that those three that I stated(+Sahin I forgot as he's not been fit most of the season) are the ones who occupy the central midfield positions(where Gotze would likely play in the 4-3-3 as he's probably not better than Mki or Reus out wide) as Weigl plays deep, especially as Gotze doesn't play as a DLP/DM.

Kagawa has played 12 games as a CM and 18 as a CAM so I guess he plays both as they alternate the two formations(so maybe there is space for Gotze but it's not a necessity/desire to have him). Castro is pretty versatile so he can play pretty much everywhere in midfield.

But yeah, eitherway it's not a necessity, but Kagawa's place is most under threat(although Gotze replacing Kagawa's role is not really needed)

Kagawa also got 26 starts(out of 29 appearances and a possible 34) in the league and 5 starts out of 8 europa league appearances so I would be inclined to think he's first choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7699
Original post by Ass State
Whilst nobody can underestimate Wenger's ability of buying lightweight attacking midfielders that clearly aren't what they need, Gotze doesn't fit in there at all. Which makes it weird why you mentioned them as a potential target. Anyway they'll probably secure Xhaka soon and two outfield signings in a window will give Wenger a nosebleed.

I've said it before, the only alternatives Gotze has to LFC are Juve and staying at Bayern. Both of which would be career suicide.

Why would Juve be career suicide? I would think Allegri would try accommodate him in the squad, especially if Morata is going and they don't buy another striker as they could go back to the diamond they played in 14/15 with Gotze at the tip.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest