The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
Wrt Weigl, didn't mention him because I was talking about the CM positions in the 4-3-3 rather than the midfield. I was more saying that those three that I stated are the ones who occupy the central midfield positions(where Gotze would likely play in the 4-3-3 as he's probably not better than Mki or Reus out wide) as Weigl plays deep, especially as Gotze doesn't play as a DLP/DM.

Kagawa has played 12 games as a CM and 18 as a CAM so I guess he plays both as they alternate the two formations(so maybe there is space for Gotze but it's not a necessity/desire to have him). Castro is pretty versatile so he can play pretty much everywhere in midfield.

But yeah, eitherway it's not a necessity, but Kagawa's place is most under threat(although Gotze replacing Kagawa's role is not really needed)

Kagawa also got 26 starts(out of 29 appearances and a possible 34) in the league and 5 starts out of 8 europa league appearances so I would be inclined to think he's first choice.
I dunno how Whoscored are calculating what position Shinji plays in but it's definitely not what I'd call central midfield.

Shinji - got a lot of games to start the season (with Sahin, Durm injured), is generally part of first team rotation, but Castro, Gundogan, Weigl would be the midfield if everyone was fit and there were no other commitments etc. Shinji is definitely in the first team rotation, done his job well, don't see why Gotze would be targeted to upgrade on him. They need a deeper midfielder to replace Gundogan, whether he moves or not.

Why would Juve be career suicide? I would think Allegri would try accommodate him in the squad, especially if Morata is going and they don't buy another striker as they could go back to the diamond they played in 14/15 with Gotze at the tip.

It's Italy: **** pay, retirement home, one-team league, poor exit opportunities, doesn't suit Gotze's style of football etc.
Reply 7701
Original post by Ass State
I dunno how Whoscored are calculating what position Shinji plays in but it's definitely not what I'd call central midfield.

Shinji - got a lot of games to start the season (with Sahin, Durm injured), is generally part of first team rotation, but Castro, Gundogan, Weigl would be the midfield if everyone was fit and there were no other commitments etc. Shinji is definitely in the first team rotation, done his job well, don't see why Gotze would be targeted to upgrade on him. They need a deeper midfielder to replace Gundogan, whether he moves or not.

It's Italy: **** pay, retirement home, one-team league, poor exit opportunities, doesn't suit Gotze's style of football etc.

I guess. I ain't watched Dortmund(well in the second half of the season anyway) so I can't say. I assume they've been using 4-2-3-1 more though.

I don't see the need for Gotze at Dortmund either but if they can afford him I guess it can help them challenge Bayern. Dortmund's lack of rotation options under Klopp made it impossible for him to sustain a title challenge as well as stay competitive in europe, in that case Gotze going back to Dortmund makes sense.

They need to buy a CB badly though and I think Gotze is Liverpool bound anyway. I'd like him at Chelsea but don't see the need for him if Conte wants to go 4-2-4/4-3-3.
I guess. I ain't watched Dortmund(well in the second half of the season anyway) so I can't say. I assume they've been using 4-2-3-1 more though.

I don't see the need for Gotze at Dortmund either but if they can afford him I guess it can help them challenge Bayern. Dortmund's lack of rotation options under Klopp made it impossible for him to sustain a title challenge as well as stay competitive in europe, in that case Gotze going back to Dortmund makes sense.

They need to buy a CB badly though and I think Gotze is Liverpool bound anyway. I'd like him at Chelsea but don't see the need for him if Conte wants to go 4-2-4/4-3-3.

I haven't watched loads either but did the scouting before our tie.

Again, don't see the point. Dembele, Pulisic, Passlack, Ramos, Castro, Durm, (Kagawa) are sufficient back up for a front three/four of Auba, Reus, Mkhi, (Kagawa). Kicker said they're not interested and they're as close to fact as media gets.

They have Ginter to step in for Hummels (people said he was the long term replacement anyway) so they'll probably get Sule or Tah. I feel like I got this info off qua but I'm not sure.
Reply 7703
I haven't watched loads either but did the scouting before our tie.

Again, don't see the point. Dembele, Pulisic, Passlack, Ramos, Castro, Durm, (Kagawa) are sufficient back up for a front three/four of Auba, Reus, Mkhi, (Kagawa). Kicker said they're not interested and they're as close to fact as media gets.

They have Ginter to step in for Hummels (people said he was the long term replacement anyway) so they'll probably get Sule or Tah. I feel like I got this info off qua but I'm not sure.

That's fair enough. I guess then Liverpool is the most likely destination in that case. With Ozil I doubt Wenger will buy Gotze either.

Qua mentioned that the idea was for Ginter to be a long term Hummels replacement which was what most people thought when he was signed, but they were looking at a couple of signings, Sule and Dragovic. I think putting Ginter in as first choice CB will be too much anyway.
21 goals or assists this season, which is more than 'superstars' Firmino and Coutinho. Only three were penalties. I think 6.5 is extremely harsh. I can see him starting a similar number of games next season, he's productive, gritty and he's a winner, and we clearly don't have enough of those.

I wasn't so much rating his season but rather the signing. He's probably the best "piano carrier" in the squad in terms of doing all the hardwork. His game intelligence is underrated too but considering he moved to Liverpool to play CM, he hasn't really stamped himself into the XI in his preferred position? Obviously a good signing but so far it hasn't looked like a star signing?
Milner has been a good signing, just not for the right position (CM). Quite a few of our signings were actually decent imo but they just didn't address the the problems we had in our squad. Last two windows just feels like we focus too much on buying a good player and not enough on buying the right player, we need both.
(edited 7 years ago)
LvG > Klopp. LvG 1 final, 1 trophy. Klopp 2 finals 0 trophies.
Original post by LFC_fan_321
LvG > Klopp. LvG 1 final, 1 trophy. Klopp 2 finals 0 trophies.

By that logic, Barnsley > United

Barnsley: 2 finals, 1 trophy (so far)
United: 1 final, 1 trophy

Pls leave
Original post by Lúcio

Pls leave

No, by that logic Barnsley= United, and if they lose the Play-Off final United> Barnsley you dumbass

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn is Bae
No, by that logic Barnsley= United, and if they lose the Play-Off final United> Barnsley you dumbass

Posted from TSR Mobile

A team getting to 2 finals and winning 1 is obviously better than a team only getting to 1 final and winning 1.

Pls re-evaluate your life.
Original post by Lúcio
A team getting to 2 finals and winning 1 is obviously better than a team only getting to 1 final and winning 1.

Pls re-evaluate your life.

100% win rate in the final>
100% win rate in the final>

This is the dumbest argument you've ever made.

Seriously.
Original post by Lúcio
This is the dumbest argument you've ever made.

Seriously.

So you're saying that a team that reaches cup finals but lose have had a successful season

Are you Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're saying that a team that reaches cup finals but lose have had a successful season

Are you Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm saying that if you're using the previous logic, a club that has won the same trophies as another but gotten to more finals has obviously had a better season.

Pls leave u fool
Original post by Lúcio
No, I'm saying that if you're using the previous logic, a club that has won the same trophies as another but gotten to more finals has obviously had a better season.

Pls leave u fool

That's not what he said though is it, he just said we've won MORE trophies so Van Gaal is better, your argument only works if he had said Klopp> LvG and you'd have won one of your finals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
No, I'm saying that if you're using the previous logic, a club that has won the same trophies as another but gotten to more finals has obviously had a better season.Pls leave u fool

Coming from the man who made this argument!!

Original post by Lúcio

Pls leave
LVG showing Klopp how to win trophies
Original post by difeo
Coming from the man who made this argument!!

My logic was in response to the previous logic posted. Logicception.

FK was disputing that Barnsley > United because United have a better win %
Original post by Lúcio
My logic was in response to the previous logic posted. Logicception.

FK was disputing that Barnsley > United because United have a better win %

It wasn't really though, the previous logic included the fact that United and Liverpool compete for the same trophies
Barnsley compete for inferior trophies
Original post by difeo
It wasn't really though, the previous logic included the fact that United and Liverpool compete for the same trophies
Barnsley compete for inferior trophies

Yeah but you don't dispute FK's foolish logic?

Yeah but Barnsley are an inferior club so it levels out...

Latest