The Student Room Group

Uni without any help or support from parents

ok, so basically it's always been a dream of mine to become a medical student. However, the only problem is my parents. I dont expect yous to understand and that alright, but i hate them more than anything in this world. There's a list of reasons why but i wont go into detail on it. Anyways, i was wondering if it'd even be possible to go to uni without any financial support from my parents. Also, i've been thinking about renting a small apartment with my gf. Even if we split the costs of rent, would it be possible to rent the apartment and go to uni?
Reply 1
Yes you can go to university without parental financial support but, if they refuse to fill in the forms to support your application, you will have to jump through some hoops to access funding.

You can certainly rent a flat and cover it with your loans (assuming you get the maximum) if you are splitting the cost, yes.

Obviously you should call student finance and talk this through with them as they will be able to respond to your exact situation better than I can.
The maximum maintenance loan for living costs is £8200 per year, if your household income(which includes your parents) is under £25k, unless you're aged over 25 then you're classed as being an independent student and it's only your own income that's considered.

If you're under 25 and your parents income is over the threshold you'll have to show that you're estranged to qualify for the full amount of financial support.
Reply 3
Original post by Balor
Yes you can go to university without parental financial support but, if they refuse to fill in the forms to support your application, you will have to jump through some hoops to access funding.

You can certainly rent a flat and cover it with your loans (assuming you get the maximum) if you are splitting the cost, yes.

Obviously you should call student finance and talk this through with them as they will be able to respond to your exact situation better than I can.

Thanks man, that's genuinely given me a lot of hope
I think it is doable. Can't really add to what the other posters have said but can say: many people complain about the amount of debt this leads to, but really you're never required to pay it off until you can and its virtually interest free. It should be completely doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Balor

The OP would be at least entitled to the non-income assessed maintenance loan plus the tuition fee loan.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
The OP would be at least entitled to the non-income assessed maintenance loan plus the tuition fee loan.

I know.
Reply 7
Original post by Balor

Actually, if applying for a non-income assessed Maintenance Loan without parental involvement, the application is a lot more straightforward.

The only way to get the maximum is to apply to be income-assessed, which (if aged under 25) will involve parents supplying their income details. It will not be possible to get the maximum without parental support unless you are a) completely estranged from both parents and can provide third-party proof if this, b) married or c) a parent. None of these appear to apply to the OP.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
Actually, if applying for a non-income assessed Maintenance Loan without parental involvement, the application is a lot more straightforward.

Absolutely. Perhaps in the interest of clarity I should have said full funding, but I took it as given that the OP would want to access as much funding as possible.

The only way to get the maximum is to apply to be income-assessed, which (if aged under 25) will involve parents supplying their income details. It will not be possible to get the maximum without parental support unless you are a) completely estranged from both parents and can provide third-party proof if this, b) married or c) a parent. None of these appear to apply to the OP.

I know, and estrangement might very well apply to the OP by the time they apply for finance. This is the hoop I refer to, and one I had to jump through personally some years ago. You are right that it does not appear to apply to them right now, but given the tone of their post I think it would be unreasonable to rule it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending