The Student Room Group

Do you need a thesis topic in mind before you apply?

Just wondering if it is something you need to mention on your application, as I believe you usually do? I'm guessing you don't have to stick with it though. What level of detail is needed when mentioning your area of interest? I really don't have enough to write about at the moment.
Original post by Airfairy
Just wondering if it is something you need to mention on your application, as I believe you usually do? I'm guessing you don't have to stick with it though. What level of detail is needed when mentioning your area of interest? I really don't have enough to write about at the moment.

Before you apply for what? In all circumstances I've heard of yes - absolutely for both a PhD or a Masters degree - but the application process should be definitive.

However, it's degree and university specific quite how much detail and what scope there is for change. Mostly the amount of detail is what makes an application competitive ie more detail = stronger application.

There tends to be more flexibility to change a Masters thesis proposal than a PhD, but nearly all research proposals evolve from the original.
Not for a lot of taught Masters you do not. For research and humanities degrees, yes, often a clear idea of your thesis is needed and mentioned in your application process, but I never needed to explicitly say what I wanted my thesis to be on. However I agree that being specific about your academic interests, obviously, is a strength when applying.
Depends on the course. For example: I had no idea of my thesis topic when I applied for my PhD (maths). Still don't have anything more than a vague area. Other subjects might want you to have a full on research proposal.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am applying for something in Sweden and the university admissions website doesn't even let you write anything at all about why you want to do it...so I can't put anything about my thesis anyway. How strange. I thought I was missing something but no, no cover letter needed apparently.
Reply 5
Different countries can have a wide variety of application cultures. I come from a country where everything is based on the grades you got (and your undergrad uni's reputation) - reference and cover letters along with thesis proposals are pretty much non-existent up until you apply for a PhD.

Currently I am applying for Master's in the UK and application requirements still vary. To me it seems fairly common that Master's application don't ask for a specific thesis proposal, especially if it's a taught program and not a research based one. It's a good sign to mention something in your cover letter (even if it's a rather broad topic) because it usually means you have looked at their faculty and you know they can provide you with a supervisor.

But in general, don't be too surprised if you're not being asked for a thesis proposal, especially in a different country :smile:
Original post by Airfairy
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am applying for something in Sweden and the university admissions website doesn't even let you write anything at all about why you want to do it...so I can't put anything about my thesis anyway. How strange. I thought I was missing something but no, no cover letter needed apparently.

With Masters degrees in the UK I've applied to many subjects at many unis and in the main, at most a personal statement just needs to be about you and your general interest in the subject. It's really common for people to start a masters course and have absolutely no idea what they want their final project to be. For many, doing the taught units on the course can help inform that.

How's the teaching going? I'm still weighing up whether to do the former ctlls then dtlls or whether to bite the bullet at do the fe pgce. Any advice?
Reply 7
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
With Masters degrees in the UK I've applied to many subjects at many unis and in the main, at most a personal statement just needs to be about you and your general interest in the subject. It's really common for people to start a masters course and have absolutely no idea what they want their final project to be. For many, doing the taught units on the course can help inform that.

How's the teaching going? I'm still weighing up whether to do the former ctlls then dtlls or whether to bite the bullet at do the fe pgce. Any advice?

Yeah after a bit more reading it did say on the uni website to mention the thesis (but I've applied for something slightly different so it doesn't apply to me).

Teaching...meh. Haha. I don't knowwwww, I've become a bit apathetic and feel I need to take some time to do something else for a little while, hence me applying for masters abroad.

Honestly, I don't know much about the ctlss and the dtlls, but in terms of reputation and employability, the PGCE will always come first. What is putting you off a PGCE? PM me if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending