The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology 7401/1 and 7401/2 Exam - 26th May and 7th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosemondtan
This is because a person with emphysema would have the elastic connective tissue digested and eroded. Therefore, the alveoli lose their recoil and less remaining air in the lungs can be pushed out, reducing the concentration gradient for O2 rich air to enter the lungs. If the lungs get less O2, less O2 diffuses into the blood and binds to haemoglobin and the tissues receive less O2 which means less ATP can be produced since respiration rate decreases and thus movement becomes harder as insufficient ATP is provided.

Same! How many marks was that question? (4/5?)
Original post by Sajjjid
oh wait are you aqa? If you are then thats damn easier than using who are doing ocr. For us any topic can come up.

Oh ok! I assumed you were AQA lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
What topics came up in paper 2?
Reply 1103
Original post by Shaks.smxth
Yes we do get a second chance! Remember this AS does not count towards the final grade. It's basically a "practice" year and the grade we get this year is used for predictions.

Next year we do AS and A2 Biology papers - which both count and is the real thing!

So for UCAS application do we use our AS grades or the teacher prediction grades to apply for universities?
Reply 1104
Here is a list of what is less likely to come up as was featured on Paper 1:
- Lipids and proteins
- Enzyme action including factors affecting (inhibitors)
- DNA/RNA
- ATP
- Inorganic Ions
- Mitosis
- Cell membrane
- Diffusion / Osmosis / Active transport
- The Immune System and Immunity/Vaccines
- Antibodies in Medicine (ELISA)
- HIV/Viruses
- There was 1 questions regarding mutations, but suggest revising it anyway.

So this is a list of topics that came up on paper 1 of the AQA AS new spec?
Guys do you think 68% on average would be an A??

BTW that 51 on both papers

When the new spec came out it was 65.6% on average in 2009
Original post by AliceLambert
Same! How many marks was that question? (4/5?)

It was out of 3, I remember because the super long ones at the end were 5 and the HIV/protein binding one was 4 and this FEV question was a wee bit shorter so only 3 marks I'm pretty sure! :smile:
Original post by Jowen12
It was out of 3, I remember because the super long ones at the end were 5 and the HIV/protein binding one was 4 and this FEV question was a wee bit shorter so only 3 marks I'm pretty sure! :smile:

Finally! A nice person who answered, Thank you Jowen :smile:
Original post by Mr PB
Guys do you think 68% on average would be an A??

BTW that 51 on both papers

When the new spec came out it was 65.6% on average in 2009

Well considering we didn't have the exams as units, we had to revise everything, they should be lower than normal, so yh I would say around 65%. Also for the second paper there were a variaty of answers to question

Do you know for the reduced diversity of birds when hedges are removed, did you put
Reduced (less variety) of plant species
Reduced (less variety) off food sources
Reduced number (less variety) of habitats
Which reduced bird diversity

No problem! :h:
Original post by Hello_246975
Do you know for the reduced diversity of birds when hedges are removed, did you put
Reduced (less variety) of plant species
Reduced (less variety) off food sources
Reduced number (less variety) of habitats
Which reduced bird diversity

yep and also ecological niches ....but pretty much that.
Original post by Jason.CCY
So for UCAS application do we use our AS grades or the teacher prediction grades to apply for universities?

It depends on the University, you may want to find out from the one you're interested in. Some will just look at the grades your teachers predict you, others may want to actually see the grades you got in the AS exams as teachers predictions may be slightly off!
yep and also ecological niches ....but pretty much that.

In markschemes it says habitats/niches so either is fine (they are very similar)
What did people write for the 3 mark question about seasoning I think?
In markschemes it says habitats/niches so either is fine (they are very similar)

I see your point ; similar but not the same once you get to A2 which isMUCH more interesting...
Are you applying for medicine/ science at uni? :smile:

BTW I did find a document with some of the latest specimen questions and answers for biology but can't find it on my laptop - does anyone know what I'm talking about? I would really like to find them again, they were so useful! :/
(edited 7 years ago)
I see your point ; similar but not the same once you get to A2 which isMUCH more interesting...
Are you applying for medicine/ science at uni? :smile:

BTW I did find a document with some of the latest specimen questions and answers for biology but can't find it on my laptop - does anyone know what I'm talking about? I would really lie to find them again, they were so useful! :/

Im not sure yet but I'm doing biology next year tho, im not applying for medicine, also are you doing AS or A level? I'm not sure which past papers you need
Im not sure yet but I'm doing biology next year tho, im not applying for medicine, also are you doing AS or A level? I'm not sure which past papers you need

Oh. What other A levels did you take?
I'm doing AS, just read onto some A2
Reply 1118
What's the grade boundaries been like in past years? How much out of 150 would be an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jason.CCY

Im actually quite unsure about this... But i think it's teacher's predictions that we need which is BASED on your AS grades. So if you get BCC, they might predict (at most) ABB.

Dont take my word for it, check it with your teachers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending