The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peppercrunch
It could be a bit lower than last year though because quite a few people messed up the 10 marker for World Cities.

I hope so, but I know for the conflict and development and globalisation questions the 8 and 10 markers would have allowed people to do very well, so that may drag them up.
For the 7 mark sustainable tourism question, did you have to explicitly use evidence from the figure? I sort of made relatively general points about how tourism can be sustainable and sometimes linked them to the picture but there was so little in the picture that I think it would've been impossible to get 7 marks from solely referring to that!
Original post by psychemma
For the 7 mark sustainable tourism question, did you have to explicitly use evidence from the figure? I sort of made relatively general points about how tourism can be sustainable and sometimes linked them to the picture but there was so little in the picture that I think it would've been impossible to get 7 marks from solely referring to that!

with those questions you MUST use evidence from the figure
Original post by EpicTree
with those questions you MUST use evidence from the figure

I did use some evidence, but I'm pretty sure it said 'With the help from figure x' and so wouldn't that mean that you need to explicitly rely on the figure?
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone have geog4a predictions?
Original post by ArbinderSingh98
that was not the question it was evaluate regenration scheme so dont freak out it wasnt retail

I agree why say 'regeneration' which clearly links to one part of the specification if 'city centre' stipulation means you cant use any regeneration examples like Hulme only retail development of city centres like Birmingham Bullring? Why make the question even more confusing than 2013 oh yeah just because AQA can. 😭
Original post by Megann_0104
Hi, to everyone that was concerned/worried about the World Cities 10 marker, I spoke to my teacher who knows the exam officer and she said that any case study related to regeneration/redevelopment of a town or city will get you the marks regardless of if it is a partnership scheme etc. Therefore, case studies on Liverpool One, St Stephens Shopping Centre, Hull and Doncaster Frenchgate centre etc. would all get you the marks!

On the other hand, London Docklands, Westfield etc. are all inner city areas and therefore would not qualify and so the examiners report from 2013 may very well read the same again in 206 if people have chosen these examples!

Hope this helps and sorry to dishearten any one who may have done the wrong case study :smile:

Great I did docklands... Will we get marks for talking about the impact or the measures for regeneration/redevelopment in general, like it costs the tax payer a lot of money and doesn't always benefit the low-income people there etc?
For the 40 marker for tectonics, what did you write because I did earthquakes as well :/
Can someone help me please? Was the World Cities 10 marker regarding regeneration or redevelopment? I wrote about Park Hill and I'm VERY worried at the moment
wrote about L D D C :frown: so im gettin no marks even though its a regeneration parntership scheme

You will ! LDDC is property led regeneration
Original post by Sully/97
For the 40 marker for tectonics, what did you write because I did earthquakes as well :/

I did volcanoes with a tiny bit about earthquakes. My friend, on the other hand, wrote a lot about them.
They are associated hazards with volcanic eruptions like it said in the question.
Original post by ruthowen
For the intrusive features I called Batholiths and Lacoliths, Batholis and Lacolis, will this mark me down?

they'll probably overlook that if the content is correct - may not get full marks but may just loose maybe 1 if it's a perfect answer
If I retake next year lol, will it be the same course and stuff?
For Geog3 has anybody made a list of all the q's? Pref. Tectonics Qs and weather and climate q's?
Original post by zoli123
WARNING TO ALL THOSE SITTING GEOG3 NEXT YEAR. DON'T DO WHAT I DID.....

Sooooo i finished the geog3 aqa paper yesterday and it was brilliant. I told everyone how i answered the 25 tectonic marks then smashed the weather and climate 25 mark section then finished off by nailing the 40 mark world cities essay. To my horror i found out today that you aren't allowed to answer 2 physical topics in section A......... SILLY MISTAKE. GOODBYE ANY CHANCE OF DOING GEOGRAPHY AT UNI,.

ah :/
Your teachers should have really explained it to you beforehand
I guess the most you can lose is 25 marks so there is still a chance to do well as the grade boundaries are usually like 60/120 for an A*
Original post by Wormit
I agree why say 'regeneration' which clearly links to one part of the specification if 'city centre' stipulation means you cant use any regeneration examples like Hulme only retail development of city centres like Birmingham Bullring? Why make the question even more confusing than 2013 oh yeah just because AQA can. 😭

did u do L D D C? cuz thats what i did
did u do L D D C? cuz thats what i did

Hulme so sounds like I get 0 marks as inner city not city centre
Original post by Wormit
Hulme so sounds like I get 0 marks as inner city not city centre

seei spoke about canary wharf etc which is city centre so i have no actual idea what it is
The World Cities 10 mark question is arguably the most poorly worded and ambiguous question I have ever faced in an exam: "With reference to one or more examples, evaluate the impact of measures to regenerate town or city centres".

As can be seen from the specification points "Urban decline and regeneration within urban areas" and "Retailing and other services": http://imgur.com/7wxW8cM, there is no mention of 'regeneration' regarding city centres on the specification.

Therefore, using the specification, the question is open to two very contrasting interpretations:

1) Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'regeneration', but risk getting 0/10 since there is no reference to specifically 'regeneration' with regards to 'city centres' on the specification.

OR

2) Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'city centres', but risk getting 0/10 since 'city centres' are only mentioned on the specification with regards to 'redevelopment' and NOT 'regeneration'.

This is an absolutely disgraceful question here, not only because the examiners knew it caused issues back in Jan 2013 (this is even MORE ambiguous) but also because the previous question (concerning urban decline) suggests that the 10 marker should have been answered regarding 'regeneration' and NOT 'redevelopment of city centres'.

Personally, I used Park Hill (a regeneration scheme) but I very fearful (like many other people), that I will get 0/10 since it isn't specifically a 'city centre'. If anyone has anymore thoughts on this question please reply to me as I am very concerned right now. Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Goulden_J
The World Cities 10 mark question is arguably the most poorly worded and ambiguous question I have ever faced in an exam: "With reference to one or more examples, evaluate the impact of measures to regenerate town or city centres".

As can be seen from the specification points "Urban decline and regeneration within urban areas" and "Retailing and other services": http://imgur.com/7wxW8cM, there is no mention of 'regeneration' regarding city centres on the specification.

Therefore, using the specification, the question is open to two very contrasting interpretations:

1) Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'regeneration', but risk getting 0/10 since there is no reference to specifically 'regeneration' with regards to 'city centres' on the specification.

OR

2) Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'city centres', but risk getting 0/10 since 'city centres' are only mentioned on the specification with regards to 'redevelopment' and NOT 'regeneration'.

This is an absolutely disgraceful question here, not only because the examiners knew it caused issues back in Jan 2013 (this is even MORE ambiguous) but also because the previous question (concerning 'urban decline':wink: suggests that the 10 marker should have been answered regarding 'regeneration' and NOT 'redevelopment of city centres'.

Personally, I used Park Hill (a regeneration scheme) but I very fearful (like many other people), that I will get 0/10 since it isn't specifically a 'city centre'. If anyone has anymore thoughts on this question please reply to me as I am very concerned right now. Thanks

See it has to be a UDC, imo because redevelopment is not the same as regeneration so i think its like MDC or LDDC, urban splash is sheffield i used that for my urban decline question. just going t have to let it go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending