The Student Room Group

I'm petrified of not getting into uni and keep freaking out

I am super scared at the minute my grades won't be good enough, I need ABB and I am panicking and I don't think I will get them, I think I will end up with a grade or 2 lower..... any advice on how to stop freaking out?
Original post by purplewitch
I am super scared at the minute my grades won't be good enough, I need ABB and I am panicking and I don't think I will get them, I think I will end up with a grade or 2 lower..... any advice on how to stop freaking out?

Get a job/hobby where there aren't any other people taking exams at the moment and stop hanging around with people who are only going to fuel your stressing with their own.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Get a job/hobby where there aren't any other people taking exams at the moment and stop hanging around with people who are only going to fuel your stressing with their own.

thank you for the reply! I do have a job at the minute which I enjoy and i agree does help a lot, its at home where I get really anxious the most I suppose
thank you for the reply! I do have a job at the minute which I enjoy and i agree does help a lot, its at home where I get really anxious the most I suppose

Distraction and keeping busy are the answers.

Try and remember it's not the end of the world if you don't get into your first choice uni. They might accept you with lower grades, and if they don't you can always get a great place somewhere else through clearing.

I'd also say you're probably on track for those grades, even if you think you haven't done that well in your exams. Your perception of how you did in exams probably isn't 100% correct, and if everyone found the exams hard the grade boundaries will be altered :smile:
I am in the exact same situation - I need ABB and think I might have got ABC/BBC. So so scared as I've slowly fallen in love with my firm university and course and I really don't want to go anywhere else

Original post by Fox Corner
Try and remember it's not the end of the world if you don't get into your first choice uni. They might accept you with lower grades, and if they don't you can always get a great place somewhere else through clearing.

I'd also say you're probably on track for those grades, even if you think you haven't done that well in your exams. Your perception of how you did in exams probably isn't 100% correct, and if everyone found the exams hard the grade boundaries will be altered :smile:

Sorry for randomly quoting you :tongue: This is what I'm relying on. However for one of the essays in my Film Studies exam I messed up big time and the grade boundaries are normally roughly the same - between 68 and 72 for a B. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by emiloujess
I am in the exact same situation - I need ABB and think I might have got ABC/BBC. So so scared as I've slowly fallen in love with my firm university and course and I really don't want to go anywhere else

Sorry for randomly quoting you :tongue: This is what I'm relying on. However for one of the essays in my Film Studies exam I messed up big time and the grade boundaries are normally roughly the same - between 68 and 72 for a B. :frown:

same! I don't even want to go to my insurance any more, and I still have most of my exams to go... hoping they go ok but I know my biology grade won't be too great and I'm terrified that my others will have horrible questions. I know I'm worrying for what hasn't happened yet but not getting in is a scary thought
same! I don't even want to go to my insurance any more, and I still have most of my exams to go... hoping they go ok but I know my biology grade won't be too great and I'm terrified that my others will have horrible questions. I know I'm worrying for what hasn't happened yet but not getting in is a scary thought

My insurance course is different and I love the uni but don't like the course as much. I've only got 2 exams left but in the subject I'm most likely to get an A in... So I've gotta do well.

Best of luck for your exams 😊

if you have most of your exams to go, then simply stop the panic, because it will undermine your efforts to get what you want. Revision and practice will help and are the things which will improve grades.

Worry gets you 0 marks.

If you dont wnat to o to the insurance, then dont go.
Reply 9
I feel the same! I'm suppose to be getting ABB but I don't think I'll even get BBB! AQA literally ruined most of the science students g etting into uni after the hard Chem and maths paper! Hopefully bio goes well. My chances of doing Optometry are out the window now!

If you know you would rather go into clearing than go to your insurance then as soon as you finish exams get on the phone to them and explain that and ask them to talk to UCAS to amend your track so you don't have an insurance choice anymore. The last thing you want on results day is added stress of being committed to a university you don't want to go to.

As for anxiety - the unknown is scary but you have the strength to cope with anything. Whatever happens, even if it isn't what you hope it will be a step along the way. Something you'll look back on as an experience that helped shape you and build your confidence in your ability to cope with anything. You're stronger than you think and you have a lot of people rooting for you - both in meat space and here on tsr. Don't dwell on your anxiety or beat yourself up for feeling this way - it's completely normal and a way your body and mind are using to cope with a stressful situation - it will not last forever (and I know it's easy for me to say that from the outside this isn't meant to be dismissive of how you feel but reassurance that your thoughts at the moment are being influenced by the adrenaline in your system). if you feel like it is affecting your ability to do things you want to do then go to your gp and seek out extra help.

And remember we're here on Tsr to help you find your path :smile:
Original post by Nish97
I feel the same! I'm suppose to be getting ABB but I don't think I'll even get BBB! AQA literally ruined most of the science students g etting into uni after the hard Chem and maths paper! Hopefully bio goes well. My chances of doing Optometry are out the window now!

yeah its always the exams, the content on its own is fine but the questions are horrible! I do biology too, how did you find it? I thought it was ok but you never know with bio!
Original post by PQ
If you know you would rather go into clearing than go to your insurance then as soon as you finish exams get on the phone to them and explain that and ask them to talk to UCAS to amend your track so you don't have an insurance choice anymore. The last thing you want on results day is added stress of being committed to a university you don't want to go to.

As for anxiety - the unknown is scary but you have the strength to cope with anything. Whatever happens, even if it isn't what you hope it will be a step along the way. Something you'll look back on as an experience that helped shape you and build your confidence in your ability to cope with anything. You're stronger than you think and you have a lot of people rooting for you - both in meat space and here on tsr. Don't dwell on your anxiety or beat yourself up for feeling this way - it's completely normal and a way your body and mind are using to cope with a stressful situation - it will not last forever (and I know it's easy for me to say that from the outside this isn't meant to be dismissive of how you feel but reassurance that your thoughts at the moment are being influenced by the adrenaline in your system). if you feel like it is affecting your ability to do things you want to do then go to your gp and seek out extra help.

And remember we're here on Tsr to help you find your path :smile:

thank you very much for this comment, I think it really helped, especially seeing it before my exam this morning so thanks
Reply 13
yeah its always the exams, the content on its own is fine but the questions are horrible! I do biology too, how did you find it? I thought it was ok but you never know with bio!

I always start bio paper from the back! So when I saw the 5 markers I felt so happy as similar questions came in past papers and I learnt the mark scheme. I think it was good but I do feel like I did lose marks in application areas. Also, the photosynthesis question is the exact one in our A2 book. Couldn't be more happier. Especially after dreadful Chem and maths! Hope Biol 5 is good paper too. One subject I might now fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear you're feeling scared, but this is totally natural. Our advice would be to try deep breathing and doing gentle exercise like yoga or going for a walk. We've just posted a thread on coping with exam stress that can help too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4171051&p=65864277#post65864277

Hope you feel yourself again soon *hugs*

Maddy - Birmingham City University
nearly cried reading this - i felt the exact same way this year! my exams have been consumed by my anxiety to the point where I felt physically sick after every exam. my brain would turn to mush in the last half an hour, so i'm so scared that i've made mistakes that will cost me dearly + i set myself very high expectations - much higher than my predictions. I know i will get into uni (if not, i may honestly never have a shred of confidence again) but i know that i will be crushed and disappointed on results day regardless...

Quick Reply

Latest