The Student Room Group

B3 Biology Edexcel Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chrlhyms
where did you say the mitochondria came from?

The egg's cytoplasm
Original post by Farrahjaber
the egg cell :smile:

the nucleus or cytoplasm there were 2 options
Original post by TSR778899
swear the question was about how it was reabsorbed into the blood? I put Selective reabs
IalsputtatHIalsputt oalsoal
Original post by chrlhyms
the nucleus or cytoplasm there were 2 options
the cytoplasm
the cytoplasm

good thats what i said
Okay pls help, I put 53% as I rounded it up, will I still get the mark? I also put oxygen for the first question (it's right, I looked in my revision guide). I put renal artery for the multiple choice as the blood is going away from the heart. The last question was a wet dream, 100% 6 marks. I kinda ****ed up on the other 6 marker though as I compared the fossils from 1.6 and 4.2 million years ago. When it should have been 1.6 million to 3.2 million years ago, kms. I'll probably still get a good few marks tho. Ummmmmm, the punnet square ****ed me up as I did have it correct with 0% but for some reason I changed it. that's 3 marks gone. I remember a question where it asked you to recall a hormone - lol I just put enzymes, another mark gone. I think that's all I messed up on. So that's 7 marks, take another 8 marks from miscellaneous questions and I scored around 45, what grade do you reckon that'll be?
Original post by jj.repinec
Yeah, i put carbon dioxide and then crossed it out and put oxygen. Apparently the answer was carbon dioxide because it mentioned at the start of the question that the microalgae are photosynthetic

There's no light in the fermenter for photosynthesis
Original post by J__
Same:s-smilie: Hopefully we get maybe 1 mark

You should definitely get the mark if you spoke about re absorption against a concentration gradient. ultra filtration wasn't really needed.
Reply 88
I'm so angry that I made so many dumb mistakes in that exam 😡. For the 53% I wrote this and then crossed it out and put 47% but I didn't cross out the marking. are they allowed to give you marks for working even if I wrote 47 as the answer?
Original post by TSR778899
swear the question was about how it was reabsorbed into the blood? I put Selective reabsorption against the concentration gradient through the tubules?

That's exactly what I put, all the glucose filtered out of the blood into the kidney is reabsobed into the blood because it is needed in large amounts by the body?
Reply 90
I said the thickening of the lining

I said that too because it happens at 4-14 days? but I can't be sure of that haha
Reply 91
Original post by TSlayerr
There's no light in the fermenter for photosynthesis

It wasn't a fermenter, it was a controlled room.
Original post by qutae
I said that too because it happens at 4-14 days? but I can't be sure of that haha

I put menstruation since all of their cycles were out of sync so different things were happening on different days. The question was about looking at the level of the hormone, not the day I believe
Reply 93
Original post by Heardmanator
I put menstruation since all of their cycles were out of sync so different things were happening on different days. The question was about looking at the level of the hormone, not the day I believe

Yeah that's what I said, the question said in a period of 30 days not 30 days of a particular cycle.
Reply 94
Original post by Heardmanator

Menstruation only occurs if the level of oestrogen is low too, and when there is a sudden drop in progesterone. It wasn't a sudden drop and the graph doesn't tell us about oestrogen, there's a graph in the CPG revision guide! But it still could be either :-)
Reply 95
It was selective reabsorption. The question asked how does it get moved out of the nephron not the blood, so you say it is selectively reabsorbed back into the blood against the concentration gradient. Simplessss.
The maths one was definitely under 50% because 85 is less then half of 180? (or whatever the two numbers were, one was definitely two times more than the other. I put 47%). Also would it not be oxygen for the microalgae as they respire aerobically?

Apart from that I have to say it was a fairly straightforward paper, besides a few harder bits towards the end perhaps. Think I've got somewhere in the 40s.
Its percentage decrease. Its 180-85 = 95 and then 95/180 x 100 = 53%
Original post by J__
Oh, parental care helps to increase the offspring's chance of survival by protection, feeding & teaching them skills needed for survival. This increases their chance of survival and passing on the parents genes to the next generation.

I wasn't sure about this answer, then I thought that's the only things we were thought about Parental care so lets put it down lol
Reply 99
Original post by StudentRobbie
The maths one was definitely under 50% because 85 is less then half of 180? (or whatever the two numbers were, one was definitely two times more than the other. I put 47%). Also would it not be oxygen for the microalgae as they respire aerobically?

Apart from that I have to say it was a fairly straightforward paper, besides a few harder bits towards the end perhaps. Think I've got somewhere in the 40s.

The maths one was 52.9% or 53%, it doesn't matter that 85 is less than half of 180 because it was asking for a percentage "decrease" and 180-85 is 95 which is a bit more than 50% :smile:

Other than that, I think it was oxygen too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending