The Student Room Group

B7 21C (21st Century New GCSE Biology - UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blessingmariee
I see why you think this and to be completely honest I have no idea if that would be right or not.

The reason I understand why you say this is because it would help to see if there's a faulty gene, so if it's not producing insulin the it's still faulty.

However, the gene probe is used in genetic testing e.g. to see if a baby will have cystic fibrosis.

I have no idea though...

Ye but in the end the gene probe only works because its base pair is complementary to the base sequence of a gene/allele. If the probe bases are complementary to the insulin gene then it will always 'stick' to it, no matter the organism as DNA is universal. I guess you could take out the nucleus from a single cell bacteria as easily as from a white blood cell in humans.

It's important to know that the gene probe isn't just used for detecting genetic diseases, it can be used to detect any base sequence of a DNA strand.
And one other thing, on your mark scheme question 22. It said other than smoking, so the smoking one wouldn't give you a mark. You could have little exercise I guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Unknown123321
Ye but in the end the gene probe only works because its base pair is complementary to the base sequence of a gene/allele. If the probe bases are complementary to the insulin gene then it will always 'stick' to it, no matter the organism as DNA is universal. I guess you could take out the nucleus from a single cell bacteria as easily as from a white blood cell in humans.

It's important to know that the gene probe isn't just used for detecting genetic diseases, it can be used to detect any base sequence of a DNA strand.

Sometimes, I think that is what the examiners wanted us to understand from the six marker. I guess if people do have different interpretations which are valid, then it will be accepted. But the key thing is that genetic testing ( hence the name) can bs used to test for any genetic disorder or any faulty gene because of the order of bases. Hence the insulin production protein will have to be probed too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending