The Student Room Group

Postgraduate student loans

I will be moving to the UK from the Republic of Ireland this September to complete my MA in Mass Communications at LJMU. I have been reading up on the postgraduate student loan and it seems like a good funding option. However just wondering, if anyone has any further details about it? I already rang the Student Finance number and was basically told that if you apply you get it so long as you meet the eligibility criteria, and I was told I did. anyone have any further knowledge on it? I need to know asap as I'll have to apply for a loan out of my local bank branch otherwise which Ill have to do asap!
Its a very last minute set-up and info is scanty and vague. I am advising many of my students to wait until next year as late payments/no payments/total chaos seems almost certain.
Reply 2
Ya it just seems a bit bizarre to me that whoever applies for it basically gets it. I mean in Ireland u need guaranteers, savings, proof of income amongst other things before they'll even consider u for a loan. Think Ill apply anyways and fingers crossed there will be no problem with it.
Original post by returnmigrant
Its a very last minute set-up and info is scanty and vague. I am advising many of my students to wait until next year as late payments/no payments/total chaos seems almost certain.

Perhaps that isn't the greatest advice. The PG loans are confirmed, applications begin within the next couple of weeks, and we know for certain these loans will be in place for the upcoming September. Advising people to voluntarily wait another year is far riskier given the current climate, and there's every chance the Government of the day retracts this proposition after huge interest this year.

I know many people who specifically postponed their studies for the new loan scheme, so asking people to wait another year based on the assumption that their may be some late payments is hypothetical at best.
Reply 4
Als does anyone know how the EU referendum affect the postgrad loan for EU students? I mean I was reallt looking forward to starting my course, now I don't know where I stand and to make it worse I am worried now I wont be able to get the loan and will have to fork out international student fees which no way on earth I can afford. Britain why did ye have to leave. Disaster.
Reply 5
Hello thereI am about to start an MA course this September and have been extremely anxious since I could not afford it without a loan. I have been a law student and I know that in order for any European country to leave Europe there should be a negotiation period of 2 years minimum (article 50) and during this period the country should be considered and act as a member of the EU union or else there will be ''bad'' consequences , according to the European Law system.I have also made my online search and found this.
''The ultimate effects of the referendum result won't become clear until negotiations take place over the UK's withdrawal agreement. This is expected to take two years or more. The forthcoming postgraduate Masters loans are not expected to be immediately affected, with EU students continuing to be eligible in 2016-17. ''
According to the european law system the postgraduate loans should be available for the whole period of two years and until the negotiations finish.But we live in medieval ages and anything might be possible .I hope i helped.Hope for the best .For me and for any person who wants to study and go further in his life...
Reply 6
Original post by Karendwyer92
I will be moving to the UK from the Republic of Ireland this September to complete my MA in Mass Communications at LJMU. I have been reading up on the postgraduate student loan and it seems like a good funding option. However just wondering, if anyone has any further details about it? I already rang the Student Finance number and was basically told that if you apply you get it so long as you meet the eligibility criteria, and I was told I did. anyone have any further knowledge on it? I need to know asap as I'll have to apply for a loan out of my local bank branch otherwise which Ill have to do asap!

If SF can't tell you, we stand no chance. In your shoes, I'd arrange the bank loan and also apply for the Postgrad Loan. If you get the PG loan, you can use it to pay off the bank loan. Might cost you extra interest but if that's the difference between doing a Masters or not, then it has to be safety first/safety second.

Brexit's thrown a spanner in the works for EU students anyway. Whist I'd like to think thank changes won't happen fast, there's always a ossibility that "qucik wins" will be identified and implemented. Severing access to a loan which hasn't started yet, would be a soft target.
Reply 7
When does the application to apply for the loan begin anyways?says late june on the gov website burvits late june now
Reply 8
When does the application to apply for the loan begin anyways?says late june on the gov website burvits late june now

Yup, they're cutting it fine. Applications are still not open, with less than 5 days of June to go.
Ya it just seems a bit bizarre to me that whoever applies for it basically gets it. I mean in Ireland u need guaranteers, savings, proof of income amongst other things before they'll even consider u for a loan. Think Ill apply anyways and fingers crossed there will be no problem with it.

Because along with our undergraduate student finance system it is paid back like a tax- it is taken out of a persons pay packet when they earn over the threshold. It doesn't work in the same way as a loan in that respect
I just seen on the student finance englands facebook that they released a statement saying there would be no changes for current eu students applying this year yet they go on to state you must have lived in the uk for 5 years prior to the start of the course...so which is it??very confusing
Reply 11
I just seen on the student finance englands facebook that they released a statement saying there would be no changes for current eu students applying this year yet they go on to state you must have lived in the uk for 5 years prior to the start of the course...so which is it??very confusing

Five years of UK residence applies only to the undergraduate Maintenance Loan.

If you check the postgraduate loan details, you need to have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for three years before the start of your postgrad course, in order to get the postgrad loan:
https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/eligibility
I rang them and they told me u have to be living in the uk.for 3 years prior to the start of the course so Im not eligible for it yet on there facebook they said theyre has been no changes for this year...they would want to be making up there minds about this as its nearly july and i need to organise stuff...i went ahead applied for it anyways. Someone say a prayer fo me.
(edited 7 years ago)
My concern is not funding in general, but for those like me who have more than a 2 year uni course. It is all well and good that they post a statement saying NO IMMEDIATE CHANGES and that those applying for undergraduate should not worry because of the two year negotiation period. However, after that, it is all unclear. So what about 2016 entry who will be starting 3rd year (4th if foundation applies) after we leave? It is possible they screw EUs over by introducing international fees/cutting maintenance loans in their last year. They are only saying what they are to calm people down.
Reply 14
I rang them and they told me u have to be living in the uk.for 3 years prior to the start of the course so Im not eligible for it yet on there facebook they said theyre has been no changes for this year...they would want to be making up there minds about this as its nearly july and i need to organise stuff...i went ahead applied for it anyways. Someone say a prayer fo me.

Stop reading Facebook and start reading the official central government website which I linked to above. To save you the trouble:

Your nationality or residency status
You can get the Postgraduate Loan if all of the following apply:

- you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’, ie there are no restrictions on how long you can stay
-you normally live in England
- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and both the following apply:

- you’re living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course
- you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)

You could also be eligible if you’re:

the child of a Swiss national
the child of a Turkish worker
a refugee or a relative of one
an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one
under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it
18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years or at least half your life

If you have not lived in the UK or the EU/EEA/Switzerland for three years before your course starts, then you will not get the Postgraduate Loan. Prayers will not make you eligible and your application will be refused.
I rang them again and they told me I was eligible this time cause Ive been ordinarily resident in the EU for the past 3 years. Sorry I sound annoying its just when I rang them the day before they told me I wasn't eligible for postgraduate funding as I am not living in the UK for the past 5 years. I just really need proper clarification on this matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending