The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zayn is Bae
Yeah but there's not many jobs most people "love", unless they're a centre forward for Real Madrid. I guess I'm speaking personally, but I enjoy pretty much no work and I'm happy to be a mercenary in the employment world.

Btw, 10 years post-qual dentists working in a private branch will easily earn over £100,000, especially in London.

Maybe you're a little biased due to personal experience though? Some people will get a degree in their chosen area and absolutely love going to work every day.
Personally I'll never be satisfied unless I'm loving my job, regardless of how much I'm earning at the time.

Down to £100k now is it pal!

Also, lol at tooth mechanic profession - would you call yourself Dr. Zayn is Bae ironically?
Original post by fallen_acorns
agree with zerf.

Way to many other variables that come in to play when you are older/working properly.

Money is definitely near the top, but not always.

For me personally:

1. Pride in my work
2. Control and Independence
3. Money
4. Enjoyment
5. Routes of progression/future opportunities
6. Amount of free time

Yeah exactly - who wants to go to work knowing they they make pretty much no difference in what they do?

When I do my job, I don't just come in, work, and go home just to get paid. I want to make sure my actions directly result in a positive result.
Hell even at my temporary job in banking, I care a great deal about out figures and the effect it has on other colleagues who are permanently assessed on them.
Reply 6442
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah exactly - who wants to go to work knowing they they make pretty much no difference in what they do?

When I do my job, I don't just come in, work, and go home just to get paid. I want to make sure my actions directly result in a positive result.
Hell even at my temporary job in banking, I care a great deal about out figures and the effect it has on other colleagues who are permanently assessed on them.

Man like Luke preventing dat money laundering
Yeah of course then it's a no brainer, happiness over the money. I just meant that there's not really any jobs out there for me personally, and for the vast majority of those out there I imagine, that has them salivating at the mouth short of a Premier League footballer. And as I said I do believe money to an extent is related to happiness.

My brother works for Deloitte and I can understand why he quit! Money is incredible but they're absolute slave-drivers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard a lot of stories that the big 4, especially audit, isn't all its made out to be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
Man like Luke preventing dat money laundering

You know it pal
If you're gonna do money laundering, just wait until after I'm gone in September x

Bank gets fined billions if we don't do it properly; paying 70 people across the country £39k is nothing compared to the potential losses.
man like Luke trying to pretend he doesn't care about money after mentioning his salary in every post he's made for the last 9 months
Original post by Lúcio
You know it pal
If you're gonna do money laundering, just wait until after I'm gone in September x

Bank gets fined billions if we don't do it properly; paying 70 people across the country £39k is nothing compared to the potential losses.

AML/KYC isn't the most exciting thing in the world either 😂 Our customer services department get so many complaints about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I have, and money is still #1. Probably always will be.

Fair enough in money being number #1 priority but that's different to saying it is the only factor (which is the point I was disputing).

Background/personal reasons for it? Usually I've found other ethnics who have come from families who have had to make sacrifices due to money are the ones who focus on earning a lot of money (not saying it in a bad way).

I guess for me money is the first priority up to a certain threshold of money and then after that I start factoring in a number of other things?
Return flights to japan for 85 quid :drool:

(inb4 swirly gif about people not giving a **** about china stuff)

Edit. My bad, with the exchange rates thats now 92 quid.. hashtag-****-brexit-yeah
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sr90
AML/KYC isn't the most exciting thing in the world either 😂 Our customer services department get so many complaints about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no it really isn't but it's a necessity and customers seldom understand that it'll have to be done regardless of which UK bank they're with.
I mean yeah you can threaten to go to Santander but it's not gonna make one bit of difference pal :tongue:

I don't usually do the reviews myself, I just have stupidly detailed knowledge of the requirements so I'm pretty much a consultant for everybody.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Return flights to japan for 85 quid :drool:

(inb4 swirly gif about people not giving a **** about china stuff)

Edit. My bad, with the exchange rates thats now 92 quid.. hashtag-****-brexit-yeah

Very jealous!

Think you should take advantage of travelling while you're out in China if the longer term plan is to come back. So expensive to go to the far East from England.
Original post by Zerforax
Fair enough in money being number #1 priority but that's different to saying it is the only factor (which is the point I was disputing).

Background/personal reasons for it? Usually I've found other ethnics who have come from families who have had to make sacrifices due to money are the ones who focus on earning a lot of money (not saying it in a bad way).

I guess for me money is the first priority up to a certain threshold of money and then after that I start factoring in a number of other things?

Yeah, all I was saying is that it's the number one factor
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Money is the #1 factor tbh

Lol, is it ****
Reply 6453
Original post by difeo
man like Luke trying to pretend he doesn't care about money after mentioning his salary in every post he's made for the last 9 months

Do people here have certain criteria for their future spouse education/career wise? Not to the extent where you only want someone on £100k+ but would you have certain expectations (realistic of course)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do people here have certain criteria for their future spouse education/career wise? Not to the extent where you only want someone on £100k+ but would you have certain expectations (realistic of course)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

somewhat.

I wanted a wife who was driven and wanted something of her own. I have seen far to many older relitives + friends who when the children leave, when her job at home is done.. the wife goes really crazy as she feels she has nothing of value any more, and has achieved nothing.. atleast 3-4 older ladies I know can be described this way.Think its a symptom of the changing times.. they were raised in a time when women stayed at home, but now they are old in a time when women value their own achievements.. so they are caught in the middle, full of regret.

But...

I wanted a wife who will not work full-time when she has kids. No women in my family has ever worked a full-time job when having children, and whilst it may be the norm now, its not something I agree with. No problem at all with work that fits around child-care.. (for instance my mother stopped her job career and worked as a child-minder whilst she raised me + my sister, allowing her to still earn + feel good about herself, but it was a job that gave her complete time for her children).

I always worried that those two things are quite contradictory.. I want a girl who wants her own career, and values her own achievements.. but also one who will potentially drop it to raise children.

Glad to say that my wife has the same opinion, and its pretty much the norm over here in china, so everything has worked out well. My wife is very buisness driven, and like me always wants to run her own buisness. But she would never want work to get in the way of children, and currently has plans for a smaller-scaled down buisness project she can run in the background whilst raising kids, increasing in demand to the point where the kids go to school, and she can take it full time.

My cousin is similar in opinion to me, but his fiance never wants to work - she will be a housewife for the forseeable future.

Puts a lot of extra pressure on us guys to earn more and provide the equivalant of two combined incomes... but ah well, all for the kids.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Needs to have ambition. Far too many women out there who sit in low paid hospitality, retail or customer service jobs leeching off their boyfriend who works hard to establish a career for himself.

Preferably degree educated too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not particularly. Just needs to be alright with moving around a lot and that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Big ol' titties

Latest