The Student Room Group

Why is this happening to me ?

Now that A levels are over, I'm having nightmares about failing on results day. This scares me even more than I am already. Is it going to be like that until results day ? Have you guys experienced that as well ?
It's completely normal to be worried about your results day! Everyone panics. I've had panic attacks thinking about what my exam grades might be before. The best thing you can do is distract yourself. Try and find some fun things to do over the summer to take your mind off it. The more you have other things to think about, the less you'll worry about that one thing. Hope you feel better soon, and I'm sure you did great!
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
It's completely normal to be worried about your results day! Everyone panics. I've had panic attacks thinking about what my exam grades might be before. The best thing you can do is distract yourself. Try and find some fun things to do over the summer to take your mind off it. The more you have other things to think about, the less you'll worry about that one thing. Hope you feel better soon, and I'm sure you did great!

Thank you very much for replying😊.
I certainly was worried, it's a perfectly normal reaction but it sems that you've taken a lot of stress upon yourself and that's made you feel bad.

I'm sure you've heard this a lot but it's worth repeating to yourself and thinking about if you feel that you're getting worked up: your results do not define you, nor will they hold you back in a major way. Unless you're looking to go into magic circle law firms the position of a university in the rankings doesn't matter at all. Somewhere like Portsmouth is quite low in the rankings, yet at the same time their geology and engineering geology courses are regarded as some of the best in the world by industry.

If you think about what the actual implications of bad results will be, you'll hopefully come to realist that they are nothing to worry about. You won't fail, and if by bad chance you get bad grades it has such a minimal impact on your life yet is such a mental burden on you. I studied at Plymouth (accepted through clearning) after getting DEE at A Level (yes, you may laugh lol) but I've been working as a wellsite geologist in Saudi Arabia for the last few years. All is not lost bud!
Normal reaction. Deep breaths, stay calm, you'll be fine. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Now that A levels are over, I'm having nightmares about failing on results day. This scares me even more than I am already. Is it going to be like that until results day ? Have you guys experienced that as well ?

Yeah it's normal. I'm quite a chilled guy, never really "stressed" about anything, but after a level results I over analysed it ALL the time. I had worked out exactly what UMS I needed based on a number of different scenarios, and could at the drop of a hat tell you if I hit this mark in a particular exam, it would probably be this ums, and what i needed in my other exams. Seriously, it was insane.

So yeah, worrying is normal :wink: just try keep yourself busy, and just think there's nothing you can do about it now, you can either spend the next month worried sick and you'll get whatever grade, or you can enjoy one of the best summers of your life, and still get the same grade :smile:
Reply 6
Financial markets fear the unknown, that's why they become so erratic with wild swings....the same applies to humans.
OP you need to understand, what has been done has been done, no point crying over spilt milk. You have to have faith in yourself and for whatever reason you don't get into your preferred university, there are a whole of others very very happy to take you.

This is why life can be so interesting at times, you never know which doors will close and thus which new ones will open!
Original post by geolowiser
I certainly was worried, it's a perfectly normal reaction but it sems that you've taken a lot of stress upon yourself and that's made you feel bad.

I'm sure you've heard this a lot but it's worth repeating to yourself and thinking about if you feel that you're getting worked up: your results do not define you, nor will they hold you back in a major way. Unless you're looking to go into magic circle law firms the position of a university in the rankings doesn't matter at all. Somewhere like Portsmouth is quite low in the rankings, yet at the same time their geology and engineering geology courses are regarded as some of the best in the world by industry.

If you think about what the actual implications of bad results will be, you'll hopefully come to realist that they are nothing to worry about. You won't fail, and if by bad chance you get bad grades it has such a minimal impact on your life yet is such a mental burden on you. I studied at Plymouth (accepted through clearning) after getting DEE at A Level (yes, you may laugh lol) but I've been working as a wellsite geologist in Saudi Arabia for the last few years. All is not lost bud!

I certainty would not laugh sir. By the way I'm studying geoscience in September, hopefully.
Original post by Franckenstar
I certainty would not laugh sir. By the way I'm studying geoscience in September, hopefully.

Good luck! The geosciences offer some of the most rewarding careers that exist, hope you get in and enjoy it as much as I did! I'm actually returning to uni this September to read for MSc Engineering Geology at Newcastle.

OP I had a repeat of this panic when getting the results of my first degree - I was on Ellesmere Island and it cost me so much money to get my results as I had to use a portable satellite and laptop connected to a sat phone to get the info and I was panicking so much I just thought **** it I need to know and just paid the data fees. Horrible feeling to have, but like I said, put it in context and understand that millions before you have been in this position and come out on top regardless of the results. It's a lot easier said than done and largely a useless saying but have faith in yourself and trust that you did your best. Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by geolowiser
Good luck! The geosciences offer some of the most rewarding careers that exist, hope you get in and enjoy it as much as I did! I'm actually returning to uni this September to read for MSc Engineering Geology at Newcastle.

OP I had a repeat of this panic when getting the results of my first degree - I was on Ellesmere Island and it cost me so much money to get my results as I had to use a portable satellite and laptop connected to a sat phone to get the info and I was panicking so much I just thought **** it I need to know and just paid the data fees. Horrible feeling to have, but like I said, put it in context and understand that millions before you have been in this position and come out on top regardless of the results. It's a lot easier said than done and largely a useless saying but have faith in yourself and trust that you did your best. Good luck!

Thank you very much sir for your good advise. Good luck to you too come September.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you very much sir for your good advise. Good luck to you too come September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending