The Student Room Group

missed one chore and got screamed at for a couple hours

i always do my chores, but just today i forgot to do the dishes, i did everything else, and my mother comes home, sees it, and i explain to her „i hadnt got round to it yet“. and she suddenly gets into a huge huff like „i guess i have to do it myself“

its not like i refused to do it, i just hadnt done it YET. i said to her i would do it right now and she told me to „f off“ and so i went and kind of hid in the bathroom because i knew i was going to get screamed at. and while im sat on the floor, i can hear here shouting and screaming (im not exaggerating) saying how no one looks after her or cleans up after her and saying how it happens ALL THE TIME. (this has happened before but months and months ago)

she starts hitting and throwing things in the sink and then punching doors and cabinets, last time she hit my door and broke her hand - then of course she blamed me for breaking her hand.

we live in a flat too, so the neighbours heard it again today and started stomping because she was so noisy.

and shes been shouting at me for a couple hours and finally left me alone, but im afraid of this happening again, because it really does make me feel scared and like im worthless and cant do anything.

am i in the wrong? is it my fault?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by misou
i always do my chores, but just today i forgot to do the dishes, i did everything else, and my mother comes home, sees it, and i explain to her „i hadnt got round to it yet“. and she suddenly gets into a huge huff like „i guess i have to do it myself“
its not like i refused to do it, i just hadnt done it YET. i said to her i would do it right now and she told me to „f off“ and so i went and kind of hid in the bathroom because i knew i was going to get screamed at. and while im sat on the floor, i can hear here shouting and screaming (im not exaggerating) saying how no one looks after her or cleans up after her and saying how it happens ALL THE TIME. (this has happened before but months and months ago)
she starts hitting and throwing things in the sink and then punching doors and cabinets, last time she hit my door and broke her hand - then of course she blamed me for breaking her hand.
we live in a flat too, so the neighbours heard it again today and started stomping because she was so noisy.
and shes been shouting at me for a couple hours and finally left me alone, but im afraid of this happening again, because it really does make me feel scared and like im worthless and cant do anything.

no, now stop blaming yourself.
She’s crazy, not in the wrong at all
Reply 3
Heya!

You're not in the wrong at all, don't think you're worthless. If this is happening more than once I would suggest talking about it with any adults or friends you trust, or even with your mum, if you can. She's having a mood swing or something has happened to ruin her mood, so shes placing all that stress and anger on you and that's wrong and immature of her.

If you're feeling scared or stressed, try doing something to calm yourself down, like listening to your favourite music or any hobbies. Living in that type of environment is tough, I empathise with you.

If you're scared to tell anyone, updating how it is online does help.
I apologise if this didn't help a lot, but I hope your situation gets better!
Original post by misou

No not at all, why the **** should you look after her or clean up after her, she is the parent, she should be looking after you and cleaning up after herself. My Mum did not believe in chores but occasionally she would ask and we'd gladly do something, I never understood why a parents expect their child to do everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending