The Student Room Group

Need help planning for as-levels (textbooks)

I'm having trouble affording the latest edition of the exam board textbooks for all my a-levels, I got really excited when I saw I could get used versions for £2 or less on amazon but then I realise they are all 2008 versions and the new ones are £15+ per minimum, which is a lot on my current budget all in one hit.
My question is how different exactly is the new specification and would it be more feasible to;
buy the old versions and just supplement the gaps with the internet?
buy the smaller individual module books piecemeal as I work through?
buy alternative textbooks from a third party that still covers the syllabus even though it isn't the exam board text itself (ideally below £10 per used)?
or something else i haven't thought of?

Doing aqa biology, chemistry, physics and edexcel maths, psychology, so any relevant book recommendations that can help me teach myself these subjects and still be able to work within the exam board's expectations much appreciated.

Thanks for any response!
Original post by hazlute
I'm having trouble affording the latest edition of the exam board textbooks for all my a-levels, I got really excited when I saw I could get used versions for £2 or less on amazon but then I realise they are all 2008 versions and the new ones are £15+ per minimum, which is a lot on my current budget all in one hit.
My question is how different exactly is the new specification and would it be more feasible to;
buy the old versions and just supplement the gaps with the internet?
buy the smaller individual module books piecemeal as I work through?
buy alternative textbooks from a third party that still covers the syllabus even though it isn't the exam board text itself (ideally below £10 per used)?
or something else i haven't thought of?

Doing aqa biology, chemistry, physics and edexcel maths, psychology, so any relevant book recommendations that can help me teach myself these subjects and still be able to work within the exam board's expectations much appreciated.

Thanks for any response!

Are you self teaching or going to college? I never bought textbooks for my a levels. I just bought revision guides which tend to be cheaper and more concise. I didn't buy anything for maths. For chemistry I had exam board specific revision guides for each module and that was really helpful as they covered only what you needed to know and were a manageable size.

If you are starting in September and feeling keen to read ahead maybe buy one to give you something to get on with and then see what you feel you need. Your library at college may have useful resources as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending