The Student Room Group

Med School at 39

Sorry a little long winded!

I've been looking at various options that may make it possible for me to get in to medical school at 39 years of age but am now at a point where i need advice/guidance.

- I did A-levels 20 years ago and didn't do well (My mind was not on studies at this stage of my life) - I got B (Chem), C(Biology), D(Maths)
- I went on to get a 2:2 in Accountancy and Finance (17 years ago)
-Had a 12 year Investment Banking career (worked very hard, did many exams, passed them all - yes i was in the right frame of mind to study later in life)

My questions.....
- I know access to medicine is the route most people have told me to take . Even if i attain distinction in all units will they still look at my A-levels and Degree?

-Shall I/Can I re-sit A-levels instead of access to medicine and try to get in that way or would they not even bother to look at my application even if i got amazing grades

-Any other suggestion?

I have spent the last three years running a business with the sole purpose of allowing it to run itself and provide an income whilst i go back to study. I have also been doing a lot of voluntary work and hospital shadowing .

Really appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Thankyou
Reply 1
Your circumstances are fairly non-standard for a medicine applicant, so I think the best thing you can do is contact the universities you're interested in and check whether a)they would accept an Access to Medicine course, and b)redoing A-levels would be acceptable or even a stronger option. You will of course also need to take at least one of the UKCAT/BMAT, so it's a good idea to start preparing for them. Good luck!
Thank you Helenia, really appreciate the advice.
I have spoken to a few and they say they will only look at the access course (provided I get distinctions in all units) and would ignore such an old degree/a-levels.

However a lot of on-line sources suggest they will still look at my past history of education and work which isn't horrendous but not great either!

As suggested I will ring more universities and keep searching!

Thanks again
Reply 3
May be worth doing a Masters degree and applying for Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM), although it is more competitive than most other routes it does give you the ability to apply for loans to cover the majority of the university fees and it is a fast track 4 year course. However, a Masters will take at least a year to complete so you would only save one year overall in comparison to undergrad medicine (with your foundation year).

Many GEM programmes don't consider previous education aside from degree qualifications, but usually having a Masters makes up for achieving a 2.2 at undergrad. Hence why I am currently doing one...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I wouldn't trust the online resources unless they are officially from the med schools. I am in my early 30s with no a level science and I have five unis (4yrs ukcat only: warwick and newcastle + gamsat: sgul, swansea and nottingham) to choose from because i am doing the gamsat and ukcat. I know these unis will not look at a levels :smile:

Besides, i'd be surprised if med schools looked at a levels more than a few years old given the change in curriculum, etc.

I am guessing you are doing the access course to expand your options?
Reply 5
Actually i overlooked the 2.2. Marathi has a point re the masters suggestion.
Original post by dr_2b
I am in my early 30s with no a level science and I have five unis (4yrs ukcat only: warwick and newcastle + gamsat: sgul, swansea and nottingham) to choose from because i am doing the gamsat and ukcat. I know these unis will not look at a levels :smile:

Hey dr_2b, thanks for the response.....gives me hope knowing i'm not the only over 30 with these dreams!

So are you going down the Graduate entry route? - guessing you have a 2:1/1st

Re access - yes it feels like my best option but the chances are still slim.

If I was was told attaining top marks in A-levels would be a better route, I would sign up right away.
I have tried typing everything in to google to get an answer but all the results relate to recent exams and re-sits.
My friend's mum did Graduate Entry Medicine in her 30s. I think your most recent grades count most

Why are you switching from IB though? I have a front office role lined up for September :h:
Original post by Millieconfused

Why are you switching from IB though? I have a front office role lined up for September :h:

Please don't let it hinder you in any way but I left for the following reason...

after years or exams and reading , learning and loving the stock markets, living and breathing the financial times/news , instead of being able to use my hard earned qualifications to actually create amazing portfolios for my clients (it takes time to earn their trust) and make investment decisions, we were basically forced to sell very bad products that made the banks money (and always lost the clients money)..... I left 5 years ago.

I worked for 3 BIG institutions ...... yes the money is amazing but for me it just wasn't worth the dodgy things they tried to make us do
Reply 9
Original post by MidLifeNonCrisis
Hey dr_2b, thanks for the response.....gives me hope knowing i'm not the only over 30 with these dreams!

So are you going down the Graduate entry route? - guessing you have a 2:1/1st

Re access - yes it feels like my best option but the chances are still slim.

If I was was told attaining top marks in A-levels would be a better route, I would sign up right away.
I have tried typing everything in to google to get an answer but all the results relate to recent exams and re-sits.

Forunately I have first.The masters route as suggested by Marathi will help the 2.2 situation (assuming you do well). It should also open up more grad entry courses. Alternatively, check out schools that accept the access courses and ask them if it will be accepted since your a levels are from twenty years ago. I believe sgul (5yr) accept access but you should complete it before you apply. Southampton accept resits on case by case basis and you might have a good case here. Oh and don't email. Call first then get a confirmation on email. It will be quicker than waiting a few weeks for someone to reapond to email.Re access why do you feel your chances are slim? Do you mean to achieve the grade or just the competition in the application?Also, have you considered the gamsat?Plymouth seems to accept it for mature students. They didnt even mention the degree requirement but best call them up and clarify.Basically, you have a few routes (even with a 2.2) and you could do a couple of things to expand your school options. Maybe jot down the requirements for the schools that appeal to you then decide what route(s) will suit you.Earlier this year i was thinking of doing the a levels but figured i am better off studying for the gamsat since i can only apply to 4 schools.Whatever route you go for, all the best!
Reply 10
And apologies for one huge paragraph. It wouldn't let me separate them :O
Reply 11
Hi

From the research I have done your options are slim but it's still possible :smile:

You can either do GAMSAT and this will enable you to apply for Nottingham or do a masters which will open up further options like Warwick (you need to have completed your masters with results not predicted results though).

I am the same age as you and have poor A Levels and not brilliant GCSE's and was told by the universities that it didn't matter whether I had done them 20 years ago they still required the same grades. One of the London unis suggested resitting some GCSE's regardless of having a higher grade in A Level to meet their requirements.

I also ran my own business for many years although I had never been to uni so decided to go back into education with Medicine as my goal I am just completing my degree but tbh due to A Level grades I still can't apply to many universities. I intend to apply to Nottingham, Warwick and Newcastle depending on how well UKCAT and GAMSAT go.

On a positive note after attending Warwick open day I was assured by the admissions tutor that I am not too old and the year before last they accepting someone who was 51 years old. Nottingham told me the oldest they have accepted is 49.

I wish you all the best and although it may take a little longer than you had planned especially if doing a Masters first I believe there is no reason why you can't be successful :smile:
Hello and thankyou to everybody for all your replies and advice !

So today I called over 15 medical schools in a hope to make things clearer .

Good news is that if i get distinctions in every unit on the access course they will not look at my past degree and A-levles.

In particular Manchester, Keele, Brighton & Sussex were very positive.

Leicester and Hull/York said they would still look at older qualifications but heavier weighting would be given to UKCAT and access course.

I have been speaking to Manchester College (access to medicine) and they have been wonderful. As long as you have english and maths GSCE's at B or above they are more about you as a person and your motivations rather than qualifications.

Another ray of light was my conversation with COWA (College of West Anglia).... I called them a month ago and was told I would need at least a 2:1 to get on to the access course.

I found this strange since this is the requirement for Grad entry Med.... BUT i decided to call again today to discuss this further and the lady explained that the last person i spoke to must have thought I meant grad entry medicine .

In fact COWA want to see 6 months of NHS experience and GCSE's as above.
They will ignore OLD A-levels and Degrees BUT NOT RECENT ONES.

I'm going to keep researching , keep thinking and keep my fingers crossed.
Reply 13
That's good that you have got some more options :smile:

Will keep my fingers crossed for you and keep us updated on your progress

Latest

Trending

Trending