The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Think there's a lack of experience in the squad personally so is difficult to see a title challenge when you consider that really. Chelsea and Liverpool have great opportunities though with less games because of no Europe.
Leicester, Spurs, Everton and Soton without a win today is very good news!

I'd take a draw tomorrow for sure.
Alright then lads, today's the day!

Are we gonna bottle it against a weakened Arsenal side or are we gonna start the season off with a bang?
Reply 8923
Preferred line-ups? I've not seen most of preseason (only the barca game) but I'm gunna stick my head out there and say Coutinho should be dropped.

On the assumption that Milner and Sturridge aren't fit, 4-3-3:

Mignolet

Clyne
Lovern
Klavan
Moreno

Henderson
Can
Lallana

Mane
Origi
Firmino
Original post by Lúcio
Alright then lads, today's the day!

Are we gonna bottle it against a weakened Arsenal side or are we gonna start the season off with a bang?

Two possible outcomes:

1. We create loads of chances but end up losing 2-1
2. We batter them 5-0

EDIT: Actually - isn't that just Liverpool all over? :p:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Two possible outcomes:

1. We create loads of chances but end up losing 2-1
2. We batter them 5-0

That sounds like the Liverpool I know!!!

We don't have a good record against Arsenal really, especially not at the Emirates.
One of their players will randomly go on a mad one (like Mata tends to do when we play United).

One thing I do love is how many players we have on the pitch who can score.
Coutinho from long range with Mané, Firmino, Origi and even Wijnaldum with decent stats.
I do like Lallana but although he's never struggled to create chances, he's struggled to score them himself.
Best chance we'll have in a while to beat them considering their injury problems and other players late back from pre-season.
Original post by Zerforax
Best chance we'll have in a while to beat them considering their injury problems and other players late back from pre-season.

I agree, it's just the venue is much big of a difference than you might think.

Arsenal always seem to perform against us, although I agree that if we play to our potential, we'll win.
This is the kind of inconsistency we need to eliminate from our game - a good performance and a win here is much more than 3 points.

Like I said, with it being Arsenal away though, I'd take a draw.
Original post by cBay
Preferred line-ups? I've not seen most of preseason (only the barca game) but I'm gunna stick my head out there and say Coutinho should be dropped.

On the assumption that Milner and Sturridge aren't fit, 4-3-3:

Mignolet

Clyne
Lovern
Klavan
Moreno

Henderson
Can
Lallana

Mane
Origi
Firmino

Firmino ? That's a speed deficit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino

Subs: Manninger, Can, Origi, Matip, Alexander-Arnold, Stewart, Grujic
No surprises at all with the lineup (especially the back 4).
Original post by mr tim
Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino

Subs: Manninger, Can, Origi, Matip, Alexander-Arnold, Stewart, Grujic

Interesting to see Henderson and Wijnaldum both ahead of Can.

Origi on the bench is good; we press hard in the first half with Lallana and Co, then bring Origi on in the second half with his pace against tired/inexperienced legs.
Have some faith, we'll win lads. :biggrin:
Original post by Lúcio
Interesting to see Henderson and Wijnaldum both ahead of Can.

Origi on the bench is good; we press hard in the first half with Lallana and Co, then bring Origi on in the second half with his pace against tired/inexperienced legs.

Can is probably not up to speed yet since he only joined the squad a few weeks ago, I also heard rumours he had a dead leg last night. Once he regains his fitness he will no doubt be one of the first on the team sheet.
Reply 8934
Would rather have Stewart than Henderson as our deepest midfielder tbh but oh well
Cant wait for the new season! Mane will be amazing and Can will keep getting better. <3 Klopp
Moreno's positioning and decision making is absolutely abysmal.
No way he's ever gonna improve to the level we need.

Slow start - Arsenal pressing us well it we've been sloppy and a little desperate at times.
penalty arsenal, moreno concedes
Mignolet saved!
Mignolet saves a pen!!!

Bailed Moreno out there, poor pen from Walcott though.
Nothing more to say about our LB - the sooner he gets replaced, the better.

Latest