The Student Room Group

Asians - The WORST parents/relatives EVER

Hello, as the title mentions asian parents and relatvies are the worst. I put this in the A level section to see what others think about asian parents especially before, on and after results day. Since, they seem to get worse around results day. I don't need that TSR countdown, my mum is counting down every hour. The relatives are just as bad, if not worse. Share your thoughts if you have asian parents/relatives who are just as bad.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I only have one Asian parent, so its kind of different, but I just think they're a normal parent in that they underestimate how difficult it is to do well, or complain about that 1% when you get 99%.

And fair enough, it can be very controlling and parents can be very controlling and demanding and I'm not saying its right, but can help in getting good results.

But I also love the culture that I get to be a part of. Food, the country, relatives etc sre all great.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree.
I remember last year when I got my GCSE results my mum was like "well done, you've done your best." Then later on I overheard her on the phone with my aunt saying how disappointed she actually was with my results. Tbh she kinda made a big deal out of it, my school was under special measures because it was really bad, not even the really smart kids got straight A's
I don't blame them, your grades are a big deal.
By Asian do you mean from the Indian subcontinent or from the Far East?
Reply 5
Original post by Trinculo
By Asian do you mean from the Indian subcontinent or from the Far East?

Not specifically, just asian parents/relatives in general, but yeah they are probably the worst.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Asian parents are the worst TBH tOO strict
I feel all of your pain (Sinhalese Sri Lankan here) :sadnod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN9VdjgDwM
Original post by Phantomx60
Not specifically, just asian parents/relatives in general, but yeah they are probably the worst.

I kind of meant which are your parents?
Reply 9
As much as you have expectations for grades so do your parents. Maybe, Asian parents just have higher expectations of their children(?)
My dad refuses to believe I won't get the grades needed for my offer. So I can't even bring up clearing without a lecture :s-smilie:
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I agree.
I remember last year when I got my GCSE results my mum was like "well done, you've done your best." Then later on I overheard her on the phone with my aunt saying how disappointed she actually was with my results. Tbh she kinda made a big deal out of it, my school was under special measures because it was really bad, not even the really smart kids got straight A's

That is actually quite nasty tbh.
Hello, as the title mentions asian parents and relatvies are the worst. I put this in the A level section to see what others think about asian parents especially before, on and after results day. Since, they seem to get worse around results day. I don't need that TSR countdown, my mum is counting down every hour. The relatives are just as bad, if not worse. Share your thoughts if you have asian parents/relatives who are just as bad.

I of course don't think Asian parents are bad at all (being one myself :smile: )

Where I do think Asian parents could improve is not just to have expectations of their kids and tell them they should be doctors/lawyers/engineers, but to sit with them and guide them as well as helping where possible.

Asian parents are great at telling kids to study and do well but they are rarely actively involved in their children's education.
It kind of depends on the parents themselves.

My mom was understandably upset when I told her I got a C for GCSE business (lol idk how that happened). But now we tend to make jokes about it, and my family has honestly forgotten about it because it really doesn't matter as much for me in the end :P
Reply 14
Worst? No. They want the best for you.
Original post by Allie4
South or East? actually both seem just as strict

but I'd say South are slightly worse because thats mainly where you hear about honour killings.

Parents who are happy for their children to be raped and killed by their spouses is by far the worse so yeah I'll go with south-Asians

I don't think people want to read about honour killings and rape in the Alevels section of TSR...
And your statement by the way is one of the stupidest things I've read on TSR today. Reported.
(edited 7 years ago)

i think im expected of too much with force rather than guidance.
(edited 3 years ago)
I am asian (as my name suggests) and surprisingly all my relatives said they would be happy with one grade 8 at GCSE lol. I went to an average school and our year was seen as the best year the school had seen for a number of years....

I have read that when A-levels come about and UCAS stuff begins in year 12, Asian parents tend to bring out their inner oxbridge self and for some reason only know oxford and cmabridge (they legit forget about the other unis). I dont know how often this happens but it is common with medicine applicants for some reason......

Luckily I want to do CS at uni so I have been saved from the all of that although when we were in lockdown I was told about how doctors are very respected and it is a rewarding job.
when it comes to results... a level parents, relatives and family friends are the worst!

I agree!

Quick Reply

Latest