The Student Room Group

Am I being unreasonable?

Let me start off by setting the scene…

I’m currently a university student at Cardiff University. Prior to coming to Cardiff, I lived in London with both of my parents. I don’t have any siblings. Due to various reasons, my first year at university was a bit rocky, which resulted in me spending most of the year in London. Understandably, this didn’t give my parents the best opportunity to shake the empty nest syndrome they would’ve experienced when I returned to Cardiff last October. Therefore, I am constantly bombarded with phone calls at least 3/4 times (followed up with messages) from each parent, sometimes even when I am at university. Despite my increasing annoyance, I decided to humour them to prevent any trouble, hoping they would stop calling that often. To my dismay, 5 months later, they are still calling and texting multiple times per day!

Quite recently, I went to dinner with a few friends. I called my mother before I left my accommodation and told her I would drop a text when I reached the restaurant, when I left the restaurant, and again when I reached the accommodation. One would hope that this would keep her happy, but it was made very clear early into the dinner that it wasn’t when I was greeted by a text from her asking ‘how’s it going?’. I, of course, didn’t reply. I was then promptly sent another text: ‘Shyleen?’
Quite frustrated at this point, I ignored her once again. Later on in the night, 2 minutes before I reached my accommodation, I was bombarded with two consecutive phone calls, the latter of which I finally answered. We had a bit of an argument in which I made it clear that I didn’t want to be texted when I was out, especially when I had assured her when I had reached and when I would be leaving. She didn’t take that very well which ended the conversation for the night. In hindsight, I think I was a bit rude, so I do admit fault there.

Two days ago, I was embroiled in another argument with my mother and sort of with my father about the insane amount of phone calls and messages that I was receiving from them. I calmly (sort of) explained that I would appreciate not being called so often as I am a university student and therefore have things to be getting on with. This, as I’m sure you can imagine by now, didn’t go down very well and I was accused of being involved in bad company and that she wouldn’t be calling me again since I was so fascinated with the independence that came with university and have forgotten all about her and my father. The conversation, once again, abruptly ended. A few hours later, my cousin called and said she was asked by mother to find out how I was and if anything was wrong. This part I was expecting, since I can’t remember a single time where my mother has directly and genuinely asked me how I was. Cousin didn’t provide me with any advice for fear she would make things worse, though I’m not entirely sure that was even possible.

Today, after 48 hours of not speaking to each other, my mother called. This was initiated by 2 missed calls by my father and 2 missed calls by mother, all within 2 minutes. The 3rd phone call by mother I picked up. The reason I didn’t answer was because I was in the kitchen. The conversation started with her simply shouting across the phone at me for being selfish for not getting in touch with her. This was followed by her bursting into tears and putting the phone down before I could even put together a single sentence. I called her again to no avail. I imagine we are back to not speaking to each other again.

I acknowledge this post is getting long and repetitive, so I’ll stop with the saga.

So, as per the title, am I being unreasonable?

TL;DR Is it wrong of me to only want to talk to my parents once a day or once every two days whilst at university rather than multiple times a day, everyday?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

A lot of university students don’t talk to their parents for weeks, let alone every day. Of course you aren’t being unreasonable.

I am guessing you’re Asian. You should either explain to them how controlling they are, or look for ways to move out from home once you leave university if that’s what you want to do. Don’t waste your life away because of controlling and overbearing parents.
Original post by 5hyl33n

I’m currently a university student at Cardiff University. Prior to coming to Cardiff, I lived in London with both of my parents. I don’t have any siblings. Due to various reasons, my first year at university was a bit rocky, which resulted in me spending most of the year in London. Understandably, this didn’t give my parents the best opportunity to shake the empty nest syndrome they would’ve experienced when I returned to Cardiff last October. Therefore, I am constantly bombarded with phone calls at least 3/4 times (followed up with messages) from each parent, sometimes even when I am at university. Despite my increasing annoyance, I decided to humour them to prevent any trouble, hoping they would stop calling that often. To my dismay, 5 months later, they are still calling and texting multiple times per day!

Quite recently, I went to dinner with a few friends. I called my mother before I left my accommodation and told her I would drop a text when I reached the restaurant, when I left the restaurant, and again when I reached the accommodation. One would hope that this would keep her happy, but it was made very clear early into the dinner that it wasn’t when I was greeted by a text from her asking ‘how’s it going?’. I, of course, didn’t reply. I was then promptly sent another text: ‘Shyleen?’
Quite frustrated at this point, I ignored her once again. Later on in the night, 2 minutes before I reached my accommodation, I was bombarded with two consecutive phone calls, the latter of which I finally answered. We had a bit of an argument in which I made it clear that I didn’t want to be texted when I was out, especially when I had assured her when I had reached and when I would be leaving. She didn’t take that very well which ended the conversation for the night. In hindsight, I think I was a bit rude, so I do admit fault there.

Two days ago, I was embroiled in another argument with my mother and sort of with my father about the insane amount of phone calls and messages that I was receiving from them. I calmly (sort of) explained that I would appreciate not being called so often as I am a university student and therefore have things to be getting on with. This, as I’m sure you can imagine by now, didn’t go down very well and I was accused of being involved in bad company and that she wouldn’t be calling me again since I was so fascinated with the independence that came with university and have forgotten all about her and my father. The conversation, once again, abruptly ended. A few hours later, my cousin called and said she was asked by mother to find out how I was and if anything was wrong. This part I was expecting, since I can’t remember a single time where my mother has directly and genuinely asked me how I was. Cousin didn’t provide me with any advice for fear she would make things worse, though I’m not entirely sure that was even possible.

Today, after 48 hours of not speaking to each other, my mother called. This was initiated by 2 missed calls by my father and 2 missed calls by mother, all within 2 minutes. The 3rd phone call by mother I picked up. The reason I didn’t answer was because I was in the kitchen. The conversation started with her simply shouting across the phone at me for being selfish for not getting in touch with her. This was followed by her bursting into tears and putting the phone down before I could even put together a single sentence. I called her again to no avail. I imagine we are back to not speaking to each other again.

I acknowledge this post is getting long and repetitive, so I’ll stop with the saga.

TL;DR Is it wrong of me to only want to talk to my parents once a day or once every two days whilst at university rather than multiple times a day, everyday?

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Quite the opposite. I think if I'd been bombarded by all those texts and phone calls from my parents (well, anyone really) I'd have changed my number by now.

I find their mindset difficult to fathom. Surely they realise that you're an independent person with your own life, and won't be able to answer every text and phone call instantly? Well, apparently not. :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
A lot of university students don’t talk to their parents for weeks, let alone every day. Of course you aren’t being unreasonable.

I am guessing you’re Asian. You should either explain to them how controlling they are, or look for ways to move out from home once you leave university if that’s what you want to do. Don’t waste your life away because of controlling and overbearing parents.

I am Asian. Indian, specifically.

I have tried to explain the issue to my mother, but it is quite difficult when she only wants to say whatever she wants and then immediately put the phone down. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the advice, nevertheless. I am definitely looking to move out as soon as possible. Let’s wait and see their reaction to that one. :laugh:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n

Honestly, you don't sound unreasonable at all. When my brother left for uni, he called my parents every 3-4 days and my parents are extremely overprotective people - the rate at which you guys communicate is crazy. It's understandable that you have your own schedule because of classes, living in accommodation and your own plans which means you're busy too.

I understand your parent's concern and it's great that they care about you so much, but they do need to back off. You're an adult and they should understand your situation (as mentioned previously). Moving forward it'll be good to establish rules as to when calls and texts should happen - like once in the morning and once at night - just so they know you're okay - it sounds like a lot but not as intense as the situation you mentioned. Your parents are way too overprotective and they need to understand that they should be supporting you by giving yourself time and that they need to trust you in what you do - I hope the situation improves and you have handled this better than most people tbh.
I'm scared this is going to happen for me at university, or I just have to stay at home instead of getting to move out.
Original post by DataVenia
I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Quite the opposite. I think if I'd been bombarded by all those texts and phone calls from my parents (well, anyone really) I'd have changed my number by now.

I find their mindset difficult to fathom. Surely they realise that you're an independent person with your own life, and won't be able to answer every text and phone call instantly? Well, apparently not. :frown:

I think that’s the issue. I’m an independent person with my own life. I’m not really sure what to do at this point. :frown:
No, you are not being unreasonable.
Your parents are being highly unreasonable.
Particularly your mother attempting to emotionally blackmail you into accepting & appeasing her pestering nasty behaviour.
Then getting your cousin involved, trying to manipulate you or both you and the cousin.

Get a new phone and sim card to use for your uni friends.
Use your old phone for your parents and all the relatives that they speak to.
Keep it in your room and only turn it on twice a day- during the hours when you have some spare time & are willing to talk to parents if they are civil.

Try to find a job during term time and holidays so that you are not financially dependent upon your parents or vulnerable to threats to disinherit you if you don't always immediately comply with their demands.
Book a holiday overseas or arrange to stay with uni friends that your parents don't know over the holidays.
Whatever you do, do not return to your parents home or local area over the summer holidays.
The risks of a harsh or illegal punishment for building an independent adult life at uni that is beyond their control is far too great.
Good luck!
Original post by toxicgamage56
I'm scared this is going to happen for me at university, or I just have to stay at home instead of getting to move out.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

Check your student loan entitlement, get a part time job and save up as much money as you possibly can.
Good luck!
Original post by 5hyl33n

Nah, you’re not being unreasonable. I’d be annoyed to if my folks did that to me!

just explain that they call too frequently and just need to give you space as it is affecting your studies. Tell them you will call once or twice a day (breakfast and before bed), and hopefully they’ll be ok with that.

i remember my parents were similar when i was at uni. They kept wanting to visit me but i just said it’s not a good
time as i was busy then they accused me of not loving them anymore. Gotta hate family dramas huh? Lol
Thank you all for your responses so far. I’ll be back tomorrow afternoon to reply individually. :smile:
Original post by Bean_cat
Honestly, you don't sound unreasonable at all. When my brother left for uni, he called my parents every 3-4 days and my parents are extremely overprotective people - the rate at which you guys communicate is crazy. It's understandable that you have your own schedule because of classes, living in accommodation and your own plans which means you're busy too.

I understand your parent's concern and it's great that they care about you so much, but they do need to back off. You're an adult and they should understand your situation (as mentioned previously). Moving forward it'll be good to establish rules as to when calls and texts should happen - like once in the morning and once at night - just so they know you're okay - it sounds like a lot but not as intense as the situation you mentioned. Your parents are way too overprotective and they need to understand that they should be supporting you by giving yourself time and that they need to trust you in what you do - I hope the situation improves and you have handled this better than most people tbh.

I’ve mentioned all of the above to my parents. I do hope the situation improves as well since my schedule is only going to get busier going forward.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by toxicgamage56

londonmyst has provided sound advice. Along with that, start preparing your parents now. Good luck. :rolleyes:
(edited 1 year ago)
All these people saying reason with your parents, not realising that with Asian parents there is no reasoning :colonhash:
Original post by Huzam001
All these people saying reason with your parents, not realising that with Asian parents there is no reasoning :colonhash:

Sort of an impossible situation!
Original post by 5hyl33n
I am Asian. Indian, specifically.

I have tried to explain the issue to my mother, but it is quite difficult when she only wants to say whatever she wants and then immediately put the phone down. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the advice, nevertheless. I am definitely looking to move out as soon as possible. Let’s wait and see their reaction to that one. :laugh:

Maybe you being their only child also has something to do with them needing to call you this often? least that's the case with me.

Even I don't receive 3-4 calls a day though (from the same person), 1 call a day max, only time I'll ever receive that many calls in a day from one person is if I didn't pick up the phone so parent starts to panic and simply wants to hear my voice to know that I'm ok/alive. Or if we need to talk about stuff that requires us to call each other back that often (appointments, accomodation, meeting up etc).

I dislike speaking on the phone to people or texting them unless I need something from them or want to tell them some good news.

Can somewhat relate to this (I'm not SA though). 3-4 phone calls a day per parent is excessive.

Same thing with some black parents :rofl: (at least when it comes to stuff like this. You can be 30 and they could still be willing to call and text you everyday to check that you're ok if that's what they choose to do). Or you could get told "IT'S DARK (even if it's only like 6pm)! Why are you going outside?! Where are you going? Call/text me when you get back (if you're going out alone)." Like nah you need to chill instead.

Amen to that bro :tongue:

There is a generation divide. Teens \ young adults from Asian parents growing up now have had enough of being controlled unlike their peers and are forcing change. You will see a lot of these people growing up into adults with children not allowing them to speak to their grandparents due to how they have been treated.

Calling a 19 year old every day when they are at university makes no sense and is the reason why lots of these people struggle socially and to live independently in the real-world.
So many of my Indian students have this going on. You aren't being unreasonable but honestly, I think sometimes they just need to be upset for a bit to realise their way isn't working any more. NOt ideal but that's my experience of it. Talking about it doesn't seem to work, I know that much.
Original post by gjd800
So many of my Indian students have this going on. You aren't being unreasonable but honestly, I think sometimes they just need to be upset for a bit to realise their way isn't working any more. NOt ideal but that's my experience of it. Talking about it doesn't seem to work, I know that much.

God talking about it isnt an asian thing. Keeping feelings locked up and all is commonplace. Once i tried talking to my parents about my depression. Their response was something along the lines of: stop being weak, it’s all in the head. If you stop thinking about it, it will go away :rolleyes:. Was an utterly fruitless discussion which ended up me feeling more like **** haha. Last time I ever expressed my feelings to them :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending