The Student Room Group

Craziest clearing stories?

BEWARE, very long entry for a very crazy day

Okay today has been very surreal for me, I am still even asking myself did today really happen? I legit keep pinching myself to remind myself that I am in reality. So I thought I was going to fail my English literature a level, a subject that I thoroughly enjoy and love, this was due to me not being able to finish my coursework and getting, (I really regret my laziness) and I calculated that even if I achieved the highest percentage in the exam paper, the best I would achieve would be a C, even with my high AS grade combined.

On the day of my actual English exam, I just blindly wrote whatever came to my mind, I power phrased all the quotes, I don't think I remembered all the theories or context comparisons, God knows what I wrote because I believed I wrote a lot of rubbish. So I left that exam thinking that I had absolutely flopped and I had completely failed English, the subject I was best at. I was really disappointed with myself and I knew I would have to go into clearing , and if somehow I manage to convince a Uni was to accept me with a U grade( I convinced myself this was my English grade) then I could not study English- my true passion.

I had already had an unconditional offer at another university, which was very incredibly comforting but my parents had preferred me to go to a more local university and suggested that if I cannot find any places in London then I would go to my unconditional offer far away. As far as I was concerned, no university would accept me and I would have to go to my unconditional, I was terrifyingly counting the days up to results day.

On the day, t, I found I achieved quite average grades which surprised me as I was expecting much worse, and this is the craziest bit, I achieved 100% A grade on my exam paper, I was like wtf??? MY coursework was a U, combined with this A grade paper was a B overall! I achieved a B, a grade I did not expect.

During clearing, I applied to your average universities, then my mum said to me 'apply for those Russell group universities' I was adament that they would reject me but I later called up one to humor her. Firstly I applied for Goldsmith, a very good uni for Literature and I was half expecting the to reject me, but they didn't! They sent me an email stating they would consider my application and then one hour later, a English lit professor called me up stating I had a place! I was so flabaghasted, I had only achieved a BBC, grades that fall well below their general A/B standard. I convinced myself I would go to Goldsmith, and I knew I was very lucky to have this oppurtunity, I thsnked all my lucky stars, first this English grade and now this?! Life could not get any better.

Then I called up Queen Mary University to humor my mum, I did not expect anything at all mind you. I was already shocked and chuffed about Goldsmith. Ths is the crazy crazy bit, she informed me that my grades are well below their standard and I had a mini interview with a lady from the Lit department and I was sweating during half of it, I stumbled a little and when she said ' okay... we will review you application and we will let you know by the end of the day." I legit believed that I failed that interview as it is a top university, but I did not mind as I expected that and I was going to go to Goldsmith! I was going to put that ony my Ucas track and do that the next day.

A few hours later, I checked my email and Queen Mary's offered me place, if I was not shocked then, you should of seen me then, I was getting dizzy and confused, I kept thinking perhaps that queen mary accidently sent me an email with their acceptance. Today has been a very crazy day, tbh I don't know which one to go to, my parents are more shocked then as I had always been the kind of underachiever in my family and I was getting an offer from universities better than my siblings. Even now I just do not believe it, I am simply blown away by these seires of events, I keep thinking perhaps the examiner had mistakenly marked my paper as an A which gave me an overall B.
So guys sorry for my rambling entry, what bout you guys any crazy clearing unis?
Original post by hellosunshine334
BEWARE, very long entry for a very crazy day

Okay today has been very surreal for me, I am still even asking myself did today really happen? I legit keep pinching myself to remind myself that I am in reality. So I thought I was going to fail my English literature a level, a subject that I thoroughly enjoy and love, this was due to me not being able to finish my coursework and getting, (I really regret my laziness) and I calculated that even if I achieved the highest percentage in the exam paper, the best I would achieve would be a C, even with my high AS grade combined.

On the day of my actual English exam, I just blindly wrote whatever came to my mind, I power phrased all the quotes, I don't think I remembered all the theories or context comparisons, God knows what I wrote because I believed I wrote a lot of rubbish. So I left that exam thinking that I had absolutely flopped and I had completely failed English, the subject I was best at. I was really disappointed with myself and I knew I would have to go into clearing , and if somehow I manage to convince a Uni was to accept me with a U grade( I convinced myself this was my English grade) then I could not study English- my true passion.

I had already had an unconditional offer at another university, which was very incredibly comforting but my parents had preferred me to go to a more local university and suggested that if I cannot find any places in London then I would go to my unconditional offer far away. As far as I was concerned, no university would accept me and I would have to go to my unconditional, I was terrifyingly counting the days up to results day.

On the day, t, I found I achieved quite average grades which surprised me as I was expecting much worse, and this is the craziest bit, I achieved 100% A grade on my exam paper, I was like wtf??? MY coursework was a U, combined with this A grade paper was a B overall! I achieved a B, a grade I did not expect.

During clearing, I applied to your average universities, then my mum said to me 'apply for those Russell group universities' I was adament that they would reject me but I later called up one to humor her. Firstly I applied for Goldsmith, a very good uni for Literature and I was half expecting the to reject me, but they didn't! They sent me an email stating they would consider my application and then one hour later, a English lit professor called me up stating I had a place! I was so flabaghasted, I had only achieved a BBC, grades that fall well below their general A/B standard. I convinced myself I would go to Goldsmith, and I knew I was very lucky to have this oppurtunity, I thsnked all my lucky stars, first this English grade and now this?! Life could not get any better.

Then I called up Queen Mary University to humor my mum, I did not expect anything at all mind you. I was already shocked and chuffed about Goldsmith. Ths is the crazy crazy bit, she informed me that my grades are well below their standard and I had a mini interview with a lady from the Lit department and I was sweating during half of it, I stumbled a little and when she said ' okay... we will review you application and we will let you know by the end of the day." I legit believed that I failed that interview as it is a top university, but I did not mind as I expected that and I was going to go to Goldsmith! I was going to put that ony my Ucas track and do that the next day.

A few hours later, I checked my email and Queen Mary's offered me place, if I was not shocked then, you should of seen me then, I was getting dizzy and confused, I kept thinking perhaps that queen mary accidently sent me an email with their acceptance. Today has been a very crazy day, tbh I don't know which one to go to, my parents are more shocked then as I had always been the kind of underachiever in my family and I was getting an offer from universities better than my siblings. Even now I just do not believe it, I am simply blown away by these seires of events, I keep thinking perhaps the examiner had mistakenly marked my paper as an A which gave me an overall B.
So guys sorry for my rambling entry, what bout you guys any crazy clearing unis?

Perhaps you should go and buy a lottery ticket before the sun sets ...

But well done, you've done well for yourself :tongue: (not sure about your mum going 'Russel Group Russel Group Russel Group...' but :erm: some parents don't understand, I guess.

And well done with your 100% on the paper given how you felt it went :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
Perhaps you should go and buy a lottery ticket before the sun sets ...

But well done, you've done well for yourself :tongue: (not sure about your mum going 'Russel Group Russel Group Russel Group...' but :erm: some parents don't understand, I guess.

And well done with your 100% on the paper given how you felt it went :tongue:

Hehehe thanks, never did a lottery ticket in my life you know, I guess I would get my lucky pick! My parents just want me to do well in life, which I totally understand, that QM offer took all my family and relatives in complete surprise. I am slightly over my shock now and I guess I really do want to go to QM, I mean it is an opportunity of a lifetime. What about you? what uni will you/ or hope to go to?
Original post by hellosunshine334
Hehehe thanks, never did a lottery ticket in my life you know, I guess I would get my lucky pick! My parents just want me to do well in life, which I totally understand, that QM offer took all my family and relatives in complete surprise. I am slightly over my shock now and I guess I really do want to go to QM, I mean it is an opportunity of a lifetime. What about you? what uni will you/ or hope to go to?

Maybe so :tongue:

Yeah maybe it will all feel surreal or wear off tomorrow after a night's sleep :lol:

I am a third year student at uni now :lol: and trust me, it feels like not too long ago that I was waiting for results too.
I'm just starting A2's but I very much enjoyed reading about your very hectic yet extraordinary day! I wish you good luck and hope you have a wonderful time :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cleared the floor once

Quick Reply

Latest