The Student Room Group

Do Universities discriminate?

Do you think all Universities should have entry requirements of CCC?

I ask this because Unis are liberal places where everyone, regardless of nationality, background, colour and creed, can go to study and feel equal amongst other like minded liberal peers. They are definitely not racist.

But, they do discriminate people based on exam performance, and ultimately how 'intelligent' you are.

I think it is time to advance liberal SJW ideas and ban universities from having higher entry requirements than others because this is seen as ultimately discriminatory and boils down to 'You are less intelligent, therefore you are unworthy and inferior'.

All Universities should have exactly the same entry requirements.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Then what about the people who get DDD? Are they too dumb and inferior to go to uni then?

Somehow I feel you didn't get into the uni you wanted to. Just a guess.
Reply 2
Unis can't discriminate.

But they can have entry requirements regarding education.

End of.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the scummy lefty NUS end up trying to push this. Don't go giving them ideas, whether you're joking or not (and I sincerely hope you are, or I worry for your sanity).
Then you would have people who got 3A*s and people with 3Cs mixed together and either the A* people would not find the course stimulating enough or the people with Cs would get left behind... People undeserving would get into courses such as medicine and the people who worked really hard might miss out.

Of course they need high entry grades because 3Cs does not warrant becoming a doctor or lawyer when people work extremely hard to get there.
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
Then what about the people who get DDD? Are they too dumb and inferior to go to uni then?

Somehow I feel you didn't get into the uni you wanted to. Just a guess.

Yes they are.

The point is, you are either at a University, or you are not. Some people I've spoken to feel like, although they are at University, it isn't particulary seen as a 'great' University, so they actually feel like they shouldn't be at University, and do actually feel unworthy and inferior. Universities are imposing a derogatory 'label' on students who study at lower ranked Universities because they're indirectly telling them 'You're at University, because you're not as intelligent as the people at the higher ranked University'. This is exactly the same logic that causes racism and discrimination like 'Sure you're a black man, so you'll never be as good as the white guy'.

I'm already at University.
Reply 6
Original post by rleah1998
Then you would have people who got 3A*s and people with 3Cs mixed together and either the A* people would not find the course stimulating enough or the people with Cs would get left behind... People undeserving would get into courses such as medicine and the people who worked really hard might miss out.

Of course they need high entry grades because 3Cs does not warrant becoming a doctor or lawyer when people work extremely hard to get there.

The first thing we need to do is abolish the grade system. It is an archaic class system which is now severely outdated.

It should be replaced with only two grades, pass or fail.

If you pass, you attend the University of your choosing.

To prevent everyone choosing Oxbridge, abolish Oxbridge completely, and standardise their teaching so it is in line with all the Universities
I think not meeting entry requirements is less about not being intelligent enough for the university and more that they don't think you'd be able to keep up with the work standard for their course and risk falling behind/dropping out

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are loads of smaller lesser known universities that have really low entry grade requirements or none at all. Therefore anyone really can goto uni somewhere if they desire

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by LillyB14
I think not meeting entry requirements is less about not being intelligent enough for the university and more that they don't think you'd be able to keep up with the work standard for their course and risk falling behind/dropping out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then we need to make sure all courses are exactly the same, whether it is law at Cambridge, or law at South Bank, right down to the exam questions and reading material. Just like how A levels are exactly the same across all schools, if the exam board is the same.

We need to make sure Universities are run by one exam board, which ensures that every University is like a clone of one another, with exactly the same entry requirements, teaching standards, and exams.

The University's location is the only thing which will differ, and which should be the only deciding factor when choosing which University you want to attend, and spend your money on.
tell me this is satire?
Original post by Thuthebough
The first thing we need to do is abolish the grade system. It is an archaic class system which is now severely outdated.

It should be replaced with only two grades, pass or fail.

If you pass, you attend the University of your choosing.

To prevent everyone choosing Oxbridge, abolish Oxbridge completely, and standardise their teaching so it is in line with all the Universities

So are you suggesting the pass should just be at 60%, the same as a C? Why would or should unis take someone on if they just scraped their way through A Levels to get 60%. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't particularly want my life to be in the hands of an anaesthetist who achieved 3Cs at A Level if you need to have knowledge of maths, chemistry and biology and besides, who is to say they wouldn't just fail the degree and have wasted a load of money
Reply 12
wot? Then you might as well banish any sort of selective process.
Reply 13
Original post by LillyB14
There are loads of smaller lesser known universities that have really low entry grade requirements or none at all. Therefore anyone really can goto uni somewhere if they desire

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is wrong because like I said, those students who do attend the 'lower Universities' feel in some way disadvantaged compared to those students at higher ranked Universities.

And it is disgusting that 'lower' Universities exploit students, by robbing them of upwards of 40k, imposing a huge debt on them, and giving them a degree which is not worth the paper it is written on.

All these new Universities cropping up, which are plastered all over this website, are taking advantage of students because they're greedy capitalist companies selling a product which is worthless.

That is why all Universities should be standardised to ensure that every student feels and is treated equally no matter if they study at Oxford, Sheffield, Bath or London.
Reply 14
Original post by tanyapotter
tell me this is satire?

Of course it is. It's Friday night, and we're on TSR when normal people are out having drinks or celebrating.

OP is bored. Obviously. Get the popcorn.
Why not let morbidly obese people run in the Olympics too? Because we cannot discriminate against them can we? Uni courses require intelligence, some more than others. Its a cruel world, where unfortunately some are not cut out for what others can do. Yes absolutely unis can discriminate based on ability, what an unbelievably stupid question. Did you by any chance get CCC and are now miffed why you didn't get into medicine at Cambridge?
Reply 16
What am I even reading?

A person who achieves A*A*A* will do better at university than someone with CCC. Hence they deserve to go to a university that gathers for their abilities.

Degrees in university can't possibly be standardised, as they are made in such a way that students can tailor what they study around their interest, which is a large part of university. Also, certain degrees can only be found in one or two universities.

If anything, we should promote alternatives to university, as well as raise the minimum requirement for any institution to CCC.
this is worse than communism
no
If you're unable to attain the grades for a particular university, chances are you're not going to do well there anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest