The Student Room Group

What A level should i drop for an Economics degree

Hello, I hope everyone's AS/A2 results went well.
I have a bit of a hard decision to make, so I was hoping you guys on here can help. I want to study economics at a Russell group Uni around the bath, Warwick level. Here are my AS grades:

AS Ocr Chemistry A: 119/140 (an A was 108)
AS AQA Physics :A (don't know my marks yet)
AS Edexcel Economics :got 69/80 in Micro (an A was 59), and haven't received my macro result back
AS ocr mei maths :A C1:B, C2:B S1: A (full ums)
I was very happy with my grades overall, but the problem is that my AS maths result is too low, (as I had a bad day, and the pressure got to me), so came out with only 85 UMS on avg, hence I wont be predicted an a* in a2 (which is a requirement of top
Russell group unis in economics). Is It worth applying for economics?
I am also currently doing my EPQ, but I don't know which subject I should drop and whether I should do AS Further maths or not.
Thank you in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supplynddemand99
Hello, I hope everyone's AS/A2 results went well.
I have a bit of a hard decision to make, so I was hoping you guys on here can help. I want to study economics at a Russell group Uni around the bath, Warwick level. Here are my AS grades:

AS Ocr Chemistry A: 119/140 (an A was 108)
AS AQA Physics :A (don't know my marks yet)
AS Edexcel Economics :got 69/80 in Micro (an A was 59), and haven't received my macro result back
AS ocr mei maths :A C1:B, C2:B S1: A (full ums)
I was very happy with my grades overall, but the problem is that my AS maths result is too low, (as I had a bad day, and the pressure got to me), so came out with only 85 UMS on avg, hence I wont be predicted an a* in a2 (which is a requirement of top
Russell group unis in economics). Is It worth applying for economics?
I am also currently doing my EPQ, but I don't know which subject I should drop and whether I should do AS Further maths or not.
Thank you in advance

I'd say to drop Chemistry as it's probably the least relevant and gets really tough at A2. You don't need to do FM but it could help if you're applying to top universities. Also, you don't actually have to drop anything, but I think dropping Chemistry (or Physics if you wanted) would help you focus on Maths and Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I'd say to drop Chemistry as it's probably the least relevant and gets really tough at A2. You don't need to do FM but it could help if you're applying to top universities. Also, you don't actually have to drop anything, but I think dropping Chemistry (or Physics if you wanted) would help you focus on Maths and Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I think thats what i am doing. I am applying for oxford, ucl, bath, warwick and bristol, so i think i may need Fm
Drop the subject you feel less confident with - if you have Maths & Economics, the third subject wont be specified, just the grade.

Lots of good advice about apply for Economocs here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree
Reply 4
I had the exactly the same A-levels as you and dropped Chemistry. Pick between Physics and Chemistry, I dropped Chemistry because I found Physics and Maths much more closely related and therefore easier. I also originally was going to do AS FM but all offers were A*AA with no requirement for the AS FM. It's useful, but not necessary.

P.S. Bath isn't in the Russell Group.
What the user said above. Drop Chem, this will give you more time to focus on mathematics, which is the biggest pre-req for economics at degree level.
Original post by Speckle

P.S. Bath isn't in the Russell Group.

PS. so what ....?

RG is just a marketing group with a made- up name. It doesn't actually mean anything significant.
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
PS. so what ....?

RG is just a marketing group with a made- up name. It doesn't actually mean anything significant.

P.S. just means an additional remark. I didn't comment on the pros or cons of the RG. Just pointing out the fact that Bath is not in the RG which the OP's writing suggests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending