The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danny the Geezer
A Liverpool fan giving me the same old spiel at work after the Arsenal game- "We're gonna be frightening this season" Man U maybe- Liverpool??.... narrowly beating a poor Arsenal side doesn't mean you are going to do wonders - Liverpool are perennial under-achievers, it's always been the way and always will be.

"always"

TIL time started in 1991
Reply 9141
In the last 30 minutes we saw a lot of Lovren trying to play the ball forwards and switching it out to the left. Obviously a lot of it was a bit wayward but it makes me think that in future when we're in games like that where we're behind but completely dominating it could be useful to move Can into defence. Sub on an attacking player for one of our CB's and bingo.
Tony Barrett just tweeted that we are looking to send Sakho out on loan.

EDIT: Paul Joyce just said same thing. Seems to be all over the media.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Tony Barrett just tweeted that we are looking to send Sakho out on loan.

EDIT: Paul Joyce just said same thing. Seems to be all over the media.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471902953.224902.jpg
Lol why??
So let me get this straight.

We've conceded 5 goals in 2 games, are playing a CM at LB and are in desperate need of defensive improvement, yet we're "considering" sending our best CB out on loan?

If Sakho goes out on loan, he's basically lost to us. Why even bring in Klavan, only to send Sakho out on loan?
Let's also not forget that Matip will have AFCON during the season which will mess things up even further.

Karius, Matip and Sakho all injured and we're without a competent LB.
What the hell is happening here?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Lol why??

It's completely surprising and quite unfair on Sakho as he was in really good form before his ban.

Apparently it's for him to regain fitness since he's been out since May and has also been injured. I've heard people say it could be due to his disciplinary problems with Klopp. I guess Klopp wants to show Sakho who's boss and see if Sakho is willing to work hard to see if he wants a career at Liverpool. Also, Klopp blocked Lucas' move because he wants Lucas to stay as a CB.
I miss Carragher :frown:
Original post by Lúcio
So let me get this straight.

We've conceded 5 goals in 2 games, are playing a CM at LB and are in desperate need of defensive improvement, yet we're "considering" sending our best CB out on loan?

If Sakho goes out on loan, he's basically lost to us. Let's also not forget that Matip will have AFCON during the season which will mess things up even further.

Karius, Matip and Sakho all injured and we're without a competent LB.
What the hell is happening here?

As far as I'm aware Matip is fine and is set to join Lovren tomorrow at CB. Karius is apparently 4 weeks away too and Sakho only started training today.

I still think we'll get another signing, journos such as James Pearce and Tony Barrett said there might be one more on the way- I'm not sure who though.
The most galling aspect of the Burnley defeat was the fact I feel like I've seen it time and time again over the past 20 years.

In many ways, this Klopp side strike a greater resemblance to Roy Evans' 1995-96 team than many here may realise (due to your tender years). They are effervescent going forward, but they struggle against two banks of four.

I really fear for this Liverpool side - because I don't think they have a 0-0 in them. And, if a team in the bottom eight or so can score first, I worry about our ability to probe and penetrate. We will reduce ourselves to Coutinho pot shots, which just isn't healthy.

No player from Saturday emerged with any credit - except maybe Mignolet, who couldn't do anything with the goals, and Grujic, who injected some life into the game. Sturridge was wasted, and I feel sympathy for him, but the midfield was bypassed far too often and Henderson's performance was arguably the worst I've ever seen from him - though he wasn't helped by a lack of runs into space from the forward men.

Burton will be a tricky outfit to navigate. This is the biggest week of their history, in some respects, because they face Derby this weekend. They are good at set-pieces and Stuart Beavon is a threat.
Original post by Mackay
The most galling aspect of the Burnley defeat was the fact I feel like I've seen it time and time again over the past 20 years.

In many ways, this Klopp side strike a greater resemblance to Roy Evans' 1995-96 team than many here may realise (due to your tender years). They are effervescent going forward, but they struggle against two banks of four.

Yeah, I agree. However, I would say your were more defensively strong in 95/96. But, again you had quality all over the pitch, Fowler, Collymore, Barnes, McManaman, McAteer etc..
I think in that period the difference between yourself, Newcastle and United in level of quality was not that much but both yourself and Newcastle lacked a little mental toughness. And, I do believe you see that today, your tend to play better against the bigger teams, whilst you struggle against teams that sit back and make it difficult to break down. An example of that being the case in 95/96 was the famous 4-3 win against Newcastle followed by a 1-0 loss to Coventry.
Original post by samiz20891
Yeah, I agree. However, I would say your were more defensively strong in 95/96. But, again you had quality all over the pitch, Fowler, Collymore, Barnes, McManaman, McAteer etc..
I think in that period the difference between yourself, Newcastle and United in level of quality was not that much but both yourself and Newcastle lacked a little mental toughness. And, I do believe you see that today, your tend to play better against the bigger teams, whilst you struggle against teams that sit back and make it difficult to break down. An example of that being the case in 95/96 was the famous 4-3 win against Newcastle followed by a 1-0 loss to Coventry.

We were better in defence - but arguably only marginally. We had very good wing-backs back then, but we were so vulnerable and could be cut open through the middle very easily. Everybody talks about Newcastle being the entertainers, and they were, but Liverpool had a knack for high-scoring games too in the mid-1990s.
Genuinely considering sticking a fiver on Burton.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Genuinely considering sticking a fiver on Burton.

PayPal it to me instead fool
Can we please, please, just sign Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsburg! Would only cost £20-30m, arguably one of the best left backs in the world, and he's German too! Have been waiting for this transfer for years.
Original post by chrisjharty
Can we please, please, just sign Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsburg! Would only cost £20-30m, arguably one of the best left backs in the world, and he's German too! Have been waiting for this transfer for years.

Swiss.
Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Milner, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Mane, Origi

Subs: Manninger, Klavan, Moreno, Stewart, Wijnaldum, Ings, Sturridge
Original post by chrisjharty

Either Wolfsburg aren't willing to sell or he isn't as great as his hype otherwise someone would've come in and signed him this summer imo.

Still surprised that Klopp hasn't signed a LB this summer though.
Original post by Zerforax
Either Wolfsburg aren't willing to sell or he isn't as great as his hype otherwise someone would've come in and signed him this summer imo.

Still surprised that Klopp hasn't signed a LB this summer though.

I understand that Klopp doesn't want to panic buy but I think he's really got it wrong here.

Moreno has had plenty of time to show his ability but he's never lived up to it. I can't see any logical reason why a manager as good as Klopp would persist with him.

All I can think of is that we've been unable to find a suitable LB and Klopp is only defending Moreno to keep his morale from dropping.
That being said, I struggle to comprehend that there isn't a single attainable LB out there that improves on Moreno/Milner.
Original post by Lúcio
I understand that Klopp doesn't want to panic buy but I think he's really got it wrong here.

Moreno has had plenty of time to show his ability but he's never lived up to it. I can't see any logical reason why a manager as good as Klopp would persist with him.

All I can think of is that we've been unable to find a suitable LB and Klopp is only defending Moreno to keep his morale from dropping.
That being said, I struggle to comprehend that there isn't a single attainable LB out there that improves on Moreno/Milner.

He's had almost a full season to assess and see that Moreno has some obvious weaknesses in his game. Fair enough he if can't find a top quality LB but surely we can find one that can defend competently so that at least he has two options to switch? We then could've played the defensive LB against Arsenal and then Moreno against Burnley..

LFC twitter on tonight's line up:

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Milner, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Mane, Origi
Substitutes: Manninger, Klavan, Moreno, Stewart, Wijnaldum, Ings, Sturridge
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest