The Student Room Group

I need help on choices...

So I'm currently studying biology a level, going into year 13 this September, and most veterinary courses want biology and chemistry, but I am AWFUL at chem. So I don't know whether it's worth choosing chemistry and working my butt off for year 13 and staying for year 14. Or completing year 13 and then go to college and do BTEC Extended Diploma Animal Management (I am a lot better at coursework than exams) I'm just a bit confused on which would be better and I need help....
Thank you
Work your butt off. Those people who you envy who consistently achieve A and A* grades in chemistry only do so because of hard work. Natural intelligence is not sufficient when doing A Levels. Hard work guarantees you a reward and that is an excellent grade in chemistry. So stop doubting yourself or seeking the easiest way out and get a move on. I look forward to hearing about the A* achieved in Chemistry on next years results day, OP.

Spoiler

Original post by zoebrown140799
So I'm currently studying biology a level, going into year 13 this September, and most veterinary courses want biology and chemistry, but I am AWFUL at chem. So I don't know whether it's worth choosing chemistry and working my butt off for year 13 and staying for year 14. Or completing year 13 and then go to college and do BTEC Extended Diploma Animal Management (I am a lot better at coursework than exams) I'm just a bit confused on which would be better and I need help....
Thank you

You're going to have to do exams at vet school so it would be more beneficial to you to get your head down and work hard and do your a-levels rather than do a BTEC. With a BTEC you're limited to what vet schools you can apply to as not every vet school accepts the BTEC, and you still need As chemistry or even A level chemistry when you apply alongside the BTEC for some of the universities.
I did a BTEC, for the same reason because I was much better at coursework, but it caused a problem when I got into vet school because I absolutely sucked at exams, and at vet school you have to get 50% to pass and it's exam based so you can't avoid exams. I was limited to where I applied, at the time I could only apply to Nottingham, this was however about 7 years ago. Liverpool and Bristol do take the BTEC now (Bristol as far as I'm aware however I applied with a degree as well so I'm not 100% sure) but Cambridge and some of the others are out of the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm just starting year 11 and want to go into veterinary too as I want to be a vet surgeon. I was thinking of taking Biology and Chemistry at a level, the same as you, what do you find difficult about them?

Also what other subjects did you take because I was wondering whether to take maths or further maths as a choice? Is there a real big difference or benefit for one? - or anything else that would be handy to know/do for sixth-form etc.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you

I'm a little bit confused about what stage you're at right now, are you studying in England or NI? And are you currently only doing one A Lvel subject? As Lizziefickling has said, I'd recommend the A level route into vet med, but even if you choose to do a BTEC, start that straight away if you can; there's no merit in just doing AS/only one A level since that won't be enough to get you onto the course.

Original post by laurena01
Hi, I'm just starting year 11 and want to go into veterinary too as I want to be a vet surgeon. I was thinking of taking Biology and Chemistry at a level, the same as you, what do you find difficult about them?

Also what other subjects did you take because I was wondering whether to take maths or further maths as a choice? Is there a real big difference or benefit for one? - or anything else that would be handy to know/do for sixth-form etc.

Thanks!

List of all vet school A level requirements

Maths and further maths are both acceptable third A level/4th AS subjects, but they don't confer any advantage or disadvantage compared to most other subjects. A few vet students I know took maths as their third A level, physics was also a popular option, and I know people who did geography, history, English literature, psychology, sociology and RS as their other subjects, among others.

Maths is good to do, but don't do it for the sole purpose of thinking it will make you look 'more academic' than taking, say, a humanity. Pick a subject that you enjoy and that you think you can get a good grade in. If you're going to study it for 1/2 years you may as well have fun with it :smile:
Thank you everyone for your reply. I probs should have made it more clear I'm studying in England and last year I was taking biology, photography A2 and business BTEC as my a levels.
As this September comes around I have finished photo, I didn't like business and therefore I also need courses to do at my sixth form as the requirement to stay is 3 courses. I got back to school on 31st so I'll probably have to have a long sit down with the sixth form team as to what I do, I wish I had just taken chem for year 12, but hey ho, I've just got to go on now.
Original post by laurena01

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

First, good luck with your GCSEs. Second, bio and chem is, like most other a levels is a lot of hard work. I kinda came into A levels treating it as GCSEs which doesn't work. I soon eventually saw and then tried my hardest to keep up with the pace of a levels but it doesn't help if you end up with 3 different teachers throughout the whole year. Obviously the effort I put in wasn't good enough cos I've come out with a U for as bio.

My bio friends do chem and I see the work they do and that is a large amount. I don't think anything can prepare anyone for a levels. For other such choices, vet schools don't really have a preference other than they don't like any general studies. Again my friends do maths and to put that with 2 sciences is a lot of work and strain on a person but if you're up for the challenge then do it, do what's best for you.
I do kinda have a little rule of having a 'fun' course to do, mine was photography.

Another tip for during the whole of sixth form is to get work experience at small/large and mixed animal vets and at other animal based places, e.g. Farms, charities, kennels, during lambing season is the best time for a good work experience.. I've just done 4 weeks of work experience over the summer, which is good fun and I did enjoy it but it takes away time for other things I needed sorting so if you could get your work experience weeks across the year it will give you time to do that and keep up with everything else in your life.
Hope you have fun in year 11, whilst the fun lasts :wink:
Original post by CounTolstoy
Work your butt off. Those people who you envy who consistently achieve A and A* grades in chemistry only do so because of hard work. Natural intelligence is not sufficient when doing A Levels. Hard work guarantees you a reward and that is an excellent grade in chemistry. So stop doubting yourself or seeking the easiest way out and get a move on. I look forward to hearing about the A* achieved in Chemistry on next years results day, OP.

Spoiler

Thank you for your motivation speech :wink: I'm not even looking to get a A or A*, at this point a C would be amazing. I think when I get back to school I'll have a long talk with the sixth form office.
Thank you! That has made things much clearer :smile:

List of all vet school A level requirements

Maths and further maths are both acceptable third A level/4th AS subjects, but they don't confer any advantage or disadvantage compared to most other subjects. A few vet students I know took maths as their third A level, physics was also a popular option, and I know people who did geography, history, English literature, psychology, sociology and RS as their other subjects, among others.

Maths is good to do, but don't do it for the sole purpose of thinking it will make you look 'more academic' than taking, say, a humanity. Pick a subject that you enjoy and that you think you can get a good grade in. If you're going to study it for 1/2 years you may as well have fun with it :smile:
Thank you everyone for your reply. I probs should have made it more clear I'm studying in England and last year I was taking biology, photography A2 and business BTEC as my a levels.
As this September comes around I have finished photo, I didn't like business and therefore I also need courses to do at my sixth form as the requirement to stay is 3 courses. I got back to school on 31st so I'll probably have to have a long sit down with the sixth form team as to what I do, I wish I had just taken chem for year 12, but hey ho, I've just got to go on now.

Okay. Perhaps an option to consider would be Nottingham's Vet Med course with a preliminary year, which you could get onto without chemistry if you're worried about getting a high enough grade in it. As far as I can tell, they'd accept your photography A level, then you could continue with biology and pick up one other subject. They also accept BTECs, but check out the entry requirements to make sure you'd be eligible with business.

This is one option, but honestly I would still recommend doing chemistry so that you can apply for more than one course. Applying to only one is risky.
First, good luck with your GCSEs. Second, bio and chem is, like most other a levels is a lot of hard work. I kinda came into A levels treating it as GCSEs which doesn't work. I soon eventually saw and then tried my hardest to keep up with the pace of a levels but it doesn't help if you end up with 3 different teachers throughout the whole year. Obviously the effort I put in wasn't good enough cos I've come out with a U for as bio.

My bio friends do chem and I see the work they do and that is a large amount. I don't think anything can prepare anyone for a levels. For other such choices, vet schools don't really have a preference other than they don't like any general studies. Again my friends do maths and to put that with 2 sciences is a lot of work and strain on a person but if you're up for the challenge then do it, do what's best for you.
I do kinda have a little rule of having a 'fun' course to do, mine was photography.

Another tip for during the whole of sixth form is to get work experience at small/large and mixed animal vets and at other animal based places, e.g. Farms, charities, kennels, during lambing season is the best time for a good work experience.. I've just done 4 weeks of work experience over the summer, which is good fun and I did enjoy it but it takes away time for other things I needed sorting so if you could get your work experience weeks across the year it will give you time to do that and keep up with everything else in your life.
Hope you have fun in year 11, whilst the fun lasts :wink:

Thank you! I've started at cats protection and hopefully getting some work experience at a vets, but it's just all of the insurance that stops some places from allowing me to help out.
+ thanks for the tips about a levels, hopefully I'll be abld to cope with it! Haha
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Okay. Perhaps an option to consider would be Nottingham's Vet Med course with a preliminary year, which you could get onto without chemistry if you're worried about getting a high enough grade in it. As far as I can tell, they'd accept your photography A level, then you could continue with biology and pick up one other subject. They also accept BTECs, but check out the entry requirements to make sure you'd be eligible with business.

This is one option, but honestly I would still recommend doing chemistry so that you can apply for more than one course. Applying to only one is risky.

Thank you again, just curious as to whether you would know if training to be a veterinary nurse then a vet is an option?

In Nottinghams entry requirements it says in the other qualification section:
"Registered Veterinary Nurses can apply with RVN qualification and a minimum of grade B in English and maths GCSE."
Thank you again, just curious as to whether you would know if training to be a veterinary nurse then a vet is an option?

In Nottinghams entry requirements it says in the other qualification section:
"Registered Veterinary Nurses can apply with RVN qualification and a minimum of grade B in English and maths GCSE."

Yes, it's possible to become a vet after training as a veterinary nurse. That would take a long time, though.

All of the vet schools will allow you to apply as a graduate, and in this case I believe they place more emphasis on your degree classification than your A levels and GCSEs, although these are still looked at. At universities which offer an 'accelerated' four-year program for graduates, veterinary nursing is one of the degrees that is accepted as part of the entry criteria.

That said, it is possible to become an RVN without a degree if you take the more vocational route of training. In this instance, as I understand it you would only be eligible for Nottingham's prelim year (ignoring any A levels/BTECs you may have that might make you eligible for others).
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Yes, it's possible to become a vet after training as a veterinary nurse. That would take a long time, though.

All of the vet schools will allow you to apply as a graduate, and in this case I believe they place more emphasis on your degree classification than your A levels and GCSEs, although these are still looked at. At universities which offer an 'accelerated' four-year program for graduates, veterinary nursing is one of the degrees that is accepted as part of the entry criteria.

That said, it is possible to become an RVN without a degree if you take the more vocational route of training. In this instance, as I understand it you would only be eligible for Nottingham's prelim year (ignoring any A levels/BTECs you may have that might make you eligible for others).

Okay, thank you. So is that all universities accept that route? And which UNIs offer the 'accelerated' program?
At this point I'm just looking at it from all angles so to keep all my options open. Again, thank you for helping so much
Okay, thank you. So is that all universities accept that route? And which UNIs offer the 'accelerated' program?
At this point I'm just looking at it from all angles so to keep all my options open. Again, thank you for helping so much

Which one, the graduate one? Yes I believe so, but double check on the individual vet schools' websites. They're all in the sticky Resources Thread if you want to save yourself some Googling :tongue:

As for the accelerated course, off the top of my head it's RVC and Edinburgh. Not sure about any others. The websites will tell you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending