The Student Room Group

Core maths acceptable??

Hi all,
I'm new so I do apologise if this post appears to be in the wrong section.

I have a quick question. Starting my A levels and want to go into medicine. Taking Bio, Chem and I need either maths or physics. My question is can I take Core maths instead of normal maths and still do a course in medicine? The core maths site states it is favoured in science but I just don't know.
Thanks.
Original post by Snazzymacguy
Hi all,

I have a quick question. Starting my A levels and want to go into medicine. Taking Bio, Chem and I need either maths or physics. My question is can I take Core maths instead of normal maths and still do a course in medicine? The core maths site states it is favoured in science but I just don't know.
Thanks.

I would definetly email the universities you wish to apply to and ask them because core maths is a new qualification
Reply 2
Hi all,

Thanks.

Unless you want to go to Cambridge, you don't NEED maths or physics. No other UK university requires/favours them over other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As above, if you aren't for Cambridge, you don't need maths or physics. So do what you'll enjoy for your third A-level. As long as it's not a wishy-washy one like General Studies :P

If you are for Cambridge, then I suggest you give them a call and double check your application/a-level details with them :smile:
Tyvm for your reply. What do you mean by general studies, 'easy' things like Media or? Would it be fine for me to take either Geog or History since I got A/A* in those?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also guys, I checked a few other university's and they actually do require you to have either maths or physics as well. This might be a new addition due to the A levels becoming much more linear on 2017?
Reply 6
General studies/media/critical thinking from the top of my head are the type they don't accept as a third alevel

Feel free to link us to those uni's which require Maths/Physics.

Other than Cambridge, no-one else requires it. As long as you already have Chem/Bio, no other sciences or maths are required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Also guys, I checked a few other university's and they actually do require you to have either maths or physics as well. This might be a new addition due to the A levels becoming much more linear on 2017?

Which ones? Do show us their websites...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry currently on the go so it's hard to find the specific links:

Queen Mary uni requires Chemistry or Biology and another science or maths (so chem bio phys or maths).
Kings College requires Bio and Chem, as well as either english or maths (don't require physics).
Sorry if im being vague if you need I can provide full links once I reach home.
Thanks
Reply 9
Sorry currently on the go so it's hard to find the specific links:

Queen Mary uni requires Chemistry or Biology and another science or maths (so chem bio phys or maths).
Kings College requires Bio and Chem, as well as either english or maths (don't require physics).
Sorry if im being vague if you need I can provide full links once I reach home.
Thanks

KCL - nope "Required subjects - Chemistry and Biology. Preferred subjects - none"

QMUL (or rather, Barts & the London, for medicine) - nope "Compulsory subjects. Two Science A levels from Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths. Both Chemistry and Biology at AS to a minimum of grade B. In Year 13, 3 of the accepted A levels must be taken over not more than 2 years study"

Do let us know if you think you find any more :h:
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
KCL - nope "Required subjects - Chemistry and Biology. Preferred subjects - none"

QMUL (or rather, Barts & the London, for medicine) - nope "Compulsory subjects. Two Science A levels from Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths. Both Chemistry and Biology at AS to a minimum of grade B. In Year 13, 3 of the accepted A levels must be taken over not more than 2 years study"

Do let us know if you think you find any more :h:

:biggrin::biggrin:

Feel free to save yourself some time OP and just listen to what we've said above :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending