The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lementation
Nope dont worry about it, they understand maths is not necessarily your strongest subject. You are however already disadvantaged because most offer holders will have at least 95% in maths. But the system is changing so I think it would be unwise for someone of your intelligence to not apply :smile:

Where are you getting all these figures from, just wondering?
Nope dont worry about it, they understand maths is not necessarily your strongest subject. You are however already disadvantaged because most offer holders will have at least 95% in maths. But the system is changing so I think it would be unwise for someone of your intelligence to not apply :smile:

Yeah I was thinking I will regret not applying so might as well :smile: they interview most people anyway right so maybe can make up for it there idk. Aha thanks. Debating on whether trying to ask a teacher to put one of my chemistry raw marks in the reference (I got 69/70 or 73 idk which) but as they are not asking for them at all do you think it will be pointless?
i thought they weren't using ums anymore because of the alevel reform???:s-smilie:
My opinion would be to apply for it, and have it there in case you change your mind! Its not exactly as if you are going to need every single place you can get for medicine, your application seems pretty strong already and you will easily get offers from other universities provided you dont muck up the interview. But if you really feel you need all 4 places to apply to, then yeah skip cam as its risky

Fingers crossed I do! :colondollar:
But doesn't Cambridge have one of the lowest applicant to places ratio for medicine? Not that it really matters, because it is still very difficult to get into :u:

I still don't think I'll apply to Cambridge. I don't think the course will suit me, and even though it will be such an intellectually stimulating environment, I think I'll be better off applying for places where i really am confident i will enjoy the course :h:

If you're wondering, my UMS was 99% for maths, 91% for Fmaths, although the modules may be switched resulting in it being slightly different.
I was also 27 marks over the A boundary for biology, and 21 marks over for Chemistry. I don't think they're the strongest considering the low grade boundaries, but who knows :lol:

Original post by pandasandpens
i thought they weren't using ums anymore because of the alevel reform???:s-smilie:

I've no idea either :dontknow:

Has there been an official statement from the medicine department?
Original post by Gogregg
Fingers crossed I do! :colondollar:
But doesn't Cambridge have one of the lowest applicant to places ratio for medicine? Not that it really matters, because it is still very difficult to get into :u:

I still don't think I'll apply to Cambridge. I don't think the course will suit me, and even though it will be such an intellectually stimulating environment, I think I'll be better off applying for places where i really am confident i will enjoy the course :h:

If you're wondering, my UMS was 99% for maths, 91% for Fmaths, although the modules may be switched resulting in it being slightly different.
I was also 27 marks over the A boundary for biology, and 21 marks over for Chemistry. I don't think they're the strongest considering the low grade boundaries, but who knows :lol:

I've no idea either :dontknow:

Has there been an official statement from the medicine department?

I emailed admissions and asked a tutor on a thread on TSR, it's been decided that for reformed subjects they are not asking for raw marks so As should be fine. For unreformed, they are looking at UMS still, though perhaps not as much as before as SUMS cannot be calculated.

I asked about my 90 UMS in maths and was told that as it is just one subject I should not really be disadvantaged to apply due to this, so a bit more relaxed about it now aha
Original post by isabella1999
I emailed admissions and asked a tutor on a thread on TSR, it's been decided that for reformed subjects they are not asking for raw marks so As should be fine. For unreformed, they are looking at UMS still, though perhaps not as much as before as SUMS cannot be calculated.

I asked about my 90 UMS in maths and was told that as it is just one subject I should not really be disadvantaged to apply due to this, so a bit more relaxed about it now aha

That's interesting, but it's weird to hear that :colondollar:
Original post by Gogregg
That's interesting, but it's weird to hear that :colondollar:

Yeah I know right, I practically convinced myself my dreams were over as I didn't get 95+ but apparently not :biggrin: I get what you mean tho, the course isn't for everyone, you should apply for where you think you will have the best experience and enjoy more as wherever you go you get a degree after all
Yeah I know right, I practically convinced myself my dreams were over as I didn't get 95+ but apparently not :biggrin: I get what you mean tho, the course isn't for everyone, you should apply for where you think you will have the best experience and enjoy more as wherever you go you get a degree after all

Do you think UMS of 86 in Maths is still too low? :frown:
Original post by andrewszk

I'm not sure, I think as they are not putting too much emphasis this time as in previous years so as long as your BMAT is great and you have a good interview then got a chance :smile: that's why im trying to ace the BMAT aha. State or private though?
I'm not sure, I think as they are not putting too much emphasis this time as in previous years so as long as your BMAT is great and you have a good interview then got a chance :smile: that's why im trying to ace the BMAT aha. State or private though?

State college, although I know people with higher UMS that are applying for medicine too.
State college, although I know people with higher UMS that are applying for medicine too.

That's better than, they just want you to do well compared to your school right? I go to a state school too but only like 5 of us are applying to medicine, and only 1 other person is going for Oxbridge but we are pretty even stats wise apart from GCSE. If you are really worried email the college you like admissions email but I wouldn't completely rule it out
That's better than, they just want you to do well compared to your school right? I go to a state school too but only like 5 of us are applying to medicine, and only 1 other person is going for Oxbridge but we are pretty even stats wise apart from GCSE. If you are really worried email the college you like admissions email but I wouldn't completely rule it out

Wow only 5 people?! I think about 50 people are applying from my college, but then again it's a very large college.
Wow only 5 people?! I think about 50 people are applying from my college, but then again it's a very large college.

We have about 150 people in my school year, about 30 people wanted to do medicine at the start of the year that's dropped as a levels hit jaha. Wow how big that's mad

I'd say e-mail them. It's quite a big decision to apply to a university who, usually in the past, have been incredibly UMS heavy in a year where it's unclear how seriously they are going to take them so I think you'd be better off with a definitive answer.

Its low but not so low that you wont get an offer. As long as all else is good.
Just did my UKCAT, Over here wishing my score would somehow magically transfer over to Cambridge :frown: I doubt I will do as well in the BMAT, better start sweating it out hahaha maybe there is a correlation between the exams (at least I can hope)
Just did my UKCAT, Over here wishing my score would somehow magically transfer over to Cambridge :frown: I doubt I will do as well in the BMAT, better start sweating it out hahaha maybe there is a correlation between the exams (at least I can hope)

Congratulations on your amazing UKCAT! Let's hope it does, it would be nice! :lol:
Original post by Gogregg
Congratulations on your amazing UKCAT! Let's hope it does, it would be nice! :lol:

Aw thanks! And yeah :h:
FOI requests mainly, check them out. Google "cambridge medicine FOI" and you can find some pretty big spreadsheets / smaller ones for certain colleges and they give a fair amount of statistical data.
Original post by Gogregg
Where are you getting all these figures from, just wondering?
It would be very unwise to put one mark for only one exam. either do it for all of them or none of them, the reason why should be self explanatory! 69/70 is amazing though, if your other exams are near that definitily declare them. An Admission coordinator told me to provide as much evidence of academia to them as possible, so albeit they arent asking for it, give it to them if its good!

My other one isn't unite as good (60 o think) so perhaps not 😞 Will see what my school day, but thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending