The Student Room Group

How can i get an A* in my English Language investigation?

Hi, last year i was predicted to get an A in my AS levels for English, unfortunately i only got a C, i really wish to get better than that to get into uni so if you could help me, i would be really grateful.
My English language investigation is about how language use is different in a courtroom between the accused and the prosecutor in a cross- examination
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Hey there, sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your grade. I'm doing the investigation right now so hopefully I can give some tips.

Your topic sounds very interesting, but how are you going to obtain data for it? You'll need to make transcripts of the conversations you intend to analyse, which will be very time-consuming, so obviously don't leave until the last moment.

Have you got any initial thoughts on what the difference might be, and is is backed by any theory? You'll really benefit if you have any kind of sociolinguistic theory which you're either criticising or using to back up your argument.

You'll need to structure it as:
Introduction - why you're doing this topic, what your hypothesis is, and maybe how your project has developed
Methodology - how you found your data, any flaws in data analysis, primary and secondary sources, any related theory
Analysis - (bulk of your project) what the data shows you, how that links to theory, whether it proves your hypothesis, why it might be that way
Conclusion - what you've learnt, how you could develop your findings

I can give you additional help but you'll have to give me more details than that
Reply 3
Original post by blue2337
Hey there, sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your grade. I'm doing the investigation right now so hopefully I can give some tips.

Your topic sounds very interesting, but how are you going to obtain data for it? You'll need to make transcripts of the conversations you intend to analyse, which will be very time-consuming, so obviously don't leave until the last moment.

Have you got any initial thoughts on what the difference might be, and is is backed by any theory? You'll really benefit if you have any kind of sociolinguistic theory which you're either criticising or using to back up your argument.

Introduction - why you're doing this topic, what your hypothesis is, and maybe how your project has developed
Methodology - how you found your data, any flaws in data analysis, primary and secondary sources, any related theory
Analysis - (bulk of your project) what the data shows you, how that links to theory, whether it proves your hypothesis, why it might be that way

I can give you additional help but you'll have to

This is very helpful thankyou! Yes i have all those types of details, now its just a matter of putting it altogether.
Original post by blue2337

I can give you additional help but you'll have to give me more details than that

Hi,

I'm currently trying to decide the topic for my Language Investigation aswell but I am finding it very difficult! These are some of the ideas I have...

Look at how team project managers from the TV show The Apprentice use different language features depending on gender

Compare speeches between David Cameron and Teresa May (focus on power and gender)

Compare text messages between boys and girls aged 17 - some during group chats and one on one conversations

I'm not too sure about any of the ideas and I really need a lot of help with just getting started as my teachers are being incredibly unhelpful and I am aiming for a TOP GRADE!!

I would really appreciate the help and feedback, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending