The Student Room Group

School volunteering

Alongside my three chosen subjects, my school 'encourages us'; put loosely, to volunteer to aid a lesson a week, helping younger pupils adapt and improve in lessons. Over the two years this will likely accumulate to around 80 hours of work. Would it be worth putting on a CV even though the school more force it on us, albeit most pupils previously asked for this opportunity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamieTheb
Alongside my three chosen subjects, my school 'encourages us'; put loosely, to volunteer to aid a lesson a week, helping younger pupils adapt and improve in lessons. Over the two years this will likely accumulate to around 80 hours of work. Would it be worth putting on a CV even though the school more force it on us, albeit most pupils previously asked for this opportunity.

Yes, include it. It is voluntary and it will give you skills outside of the normal academic range. Helping younger pupils is not always easy; if you can keep it up for two years it will show commitment, an ability to work with others outside of your friendship group and skills in being able to explain work in a different way to make it accessible. In some ways you will be a role model to the younger pupils, with all the responsibility that entails. A willingness to share your love of your subject with others can only be a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest