The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doll Parts
As they are doing Standard level Disclosures these will show all spent and unspent offences, therefore I'd recommend you disclose prior to them receiving the certificate.

Roles in HMRC are classed as 'Exempted Professions' so they can ask for the full criminal record including spent offences.

My passport has expired and on the DBS questionnaire it's asking do I have a valid passport Yes/No what do I write and if I say no will that mess it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by memoryfish
Yeh if you look at your licence before the number will be your surname...so your driving licence 'number' is the whole thing including ur surname.

This is correct, your driving license number includes your name. Make sure you enter it correctly or it will delay your DBS check, as they use this as one of the identifiers against PNC.
As they are doing Standard level Disclosures these will show all spent and unspent offences, therefore I'd recommend you disclose prior to them receiving the certificate.

Roles in HMRC are classed as 'Exempted Professions' so they can ask for the full criminal record including spent offences.

I have a caution for being drunk and disorderly, and obstructing police from when I was like 17, and two convictions for assault, both of which were a considerable time ago also. Not a single point on my driving license though, would that help? Lol. :-P
Original post by Jamz115
My passport has expired and on the DBS questionnaire it's asking do I have a valid passport Yes/No what do I write and if I say no will that mess it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if your passport has expired it's not valid! It won't 'mess it up' they may just ask for other ID.
Original post by sw1981
I have a caution for being drunk and disorderly, and obstructing police from when I was like 17, and two convictions for assault, both of which were a considerable time ago also. Not a single point on my driving license though, would that help? Lol. :-P

Quite a lot of PNC info then! The employer will look at age, nature, relevance, pattern of offending, disposal and time since last offence.
Well, if your passport has expired it's not valid! It won't 'mess it up' they may just ask for other ID.

Ok so I should just fill it in saying I don't have a valid passport and they will likely ask for a birth certificate etc? Which is fine as I have that and a Driving licence photocard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Ok so I should just fill it in saying I don't have a valid passport and they will likely ask for a birth certificate etc? Which is fine as I have that and a Driving licence photocard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes; if you have a driving license & original birth cert, this will be fine.
Yes; if you have a driving license & original birth cert, this will be fine.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it. Could you estimate roughly how long from this stage of a DBS application going in when it's likely you will get a Formal offer? I'm not too bothered but to have some idea then it would be good to know at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Thanks a lot. Appreciate it. Could you estimate roughly how long from this stage of a DBS application going in when it's likely you will get a Formal offer? I'm not too bothered but to have some idea then it would be good to know at least

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you guys existing civil servants? Or have u got offers from the reserve list for the last external campaign?
Are you guys existing civil servants? Or have u got offers from the reserve list for the last external campaign?

Provisional offer from the September 2015 campaign after being on the reserve list

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Provisional offer from the September 2015 campaign after being on the reserve list

Posted from TSR Mobile

For EO or HEO?
For EO or HEO?

EO or Officer as they just call them now. People use the term EO but I haven't heard the role referred as that in any literature I have received from CSR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your disclosure cert will be quick, once HMRC submit the application, as it's going through an automated process. However, it's difficult to estimate how long for a formal offer as it depends on whether you need an OH consultation, if you have information on your Disclosure and CS resourcing workload etc.

My formal offer was a good few weeks after my Disclosure cert was received.

Be aware that they may not submit your Disclosure application to DBS as soon as you provide the info either. Many on this thread found that HMRC didn't send the application to DBS for a while.
Your disclosure cert will be quick, once HMRC submit the application, as it's going through an automated process. However, it's difficult to estimate how long for a formal offer as it depends on whether you need an OH consultation, if you have information on your Disclosure and CS resourcing workload etc.

Be aware that they may not submit your Disclosure application to DBS as soon as you provide the info either. Many on this thread found that HMRC didn't send the application to DBS for a while.

Oh yeh definitely, when i started at Hmrc my disclosure was sent off to them like 2 months after the prov.offer

Are you an Officer / Higher Officer doing this job too? Do you like it? This will be my first position in the civil service so not sure what to expect. Daunting but exciting too so looking forward to it fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Are you an Officer / Higher Officer doing this job too? Do you like it? This will be my first position in the civil service so not sure what to expect. Daunting but exciting too so looking forward to it fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a HEO at DBS, who came on level transfer to HMRC. I only started at HMRC last week but I'm happy I made the move.

In general, the civil service is a good place to work but T&Cs are significantly worse now than when I started and will continue to be eroded whilst we are in austerity.

In terms of what to expect; expect it to be a bit disorganised and expect plenty of e-learning!

Oh, and expect the people to be nice - they almost all are :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
I was a HEO at DBS, who came on level transfer to HMRC. I only started at HMRC last week but I'm happy I made the move.

In general, the civil service is a good place to work but T&Cs are significantly worse now than when I started and will continue to be eroded whilst we are in austerity.

In terms of what to expect; expect it to be a bit disorganised and expect plenty of e-learning!

Oh, and expect the people to be nice - they almost all are :-)

That sounds great. People have been saying they get " base allowances" on top of their pay every month for things like getting the train to work .. Is that true? Also at Christmas do you just get Christmas Day/Boxing Day/ New Year's Day or is their an additional day. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
That sounds great. People have been saying they get " base allowances" on top of their pay every month for things like getting the train to work .. Is that true? Also at Christmas do you just get Christmas Day/Boxing Day/ New Year's Day or is their an additional day. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol allowances on top of pay for getting the train into work? In the civil service? I know you'll be able to take out a season ticket loan if that's what you mean, but it's a loan and you have to pay it back. Obviously if you go somewhere as part of your work then you can claim expenses.
Lol allowances on top of pay for getting the train into work? In the civil service? I know you'll be able to take out a season ticket loan if that's what you mean, but it's a loan and you have to pay it back. Obviously if you go somewhere as part of your work then you can claim expenses.

Haha I was rather sceptical myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115

Posted from TSR Mobile

As memoryfish said, you can apply for an interest free loan to purchase an annual travel pass (or to buy a bike). They then take the monthly repayment directly from your salary.

You would get London Weighting Allowance if you work in London.

You get the standard bank holidays at Xmas, as you will be on modernised T&Cs. Some of your long serving colleagues will get an extra day, but that is because they are on unmodernised T&Cs. You do however get one extra 'privilege day' for the Queens Birthday. Most departments either add this to your leave or ask you to take it at some point in June.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending