The Student Room Group

student finance England - EU student

good evening. I have been struggling a lot with what I should do about applying for maintenance loan.
I have been told now that I am eligible for my 5 years residency this means I can have settlement status which means I can now apply for maintenance loan.
due to me living with my auntie apparently I can't do this application through her as she is not my parent or legal guardian. I have been told that my best solution is to apply through my dad who is Portuguese (so am i). he has always lived and worked in Portugal. I have also been told to complete a pff2 but how does this work with HMRC and NI as Portugal has none of this. what documents do I send to prove his income. I really need help with this.
Original post by RCor
good evening. I have been struggling a lot with what I should do about applying for maintenance loan.
I have been told now that I am eligible for my 5 years residency this means I can have settlement status which means I can now apply for maintenance loan.
due to me living with my auntie apparently I can't do this application through her as she is not my parent or legal guardian. I have been told that my best solution is to apply through my dad who is Portuguese (so am i). he has always lived and worked in Portugal. I have also been told to complete a pff2 but how does this work with HMRC and NI as Portugal has none of this. what documents do I send to prove his income. I really need help with this.

Hi there, Just to confirm you have now gained settled status, is that correct? Thanks, Angela
Original post by RCor

Hi there. Do you already have an application? If so, are you only getting Tuition Fees at the moment?

If you're applying for the higher rate of a Maintenance Loan and are under 25, then we do need your parent/s to support the application. Since they are overseas and won't have a National Insurance Number, we require evidence of the income. For example;

Letter from the sponsor’s employer (confirming salary for the tax year).
Accountant’s letter.
Self-Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent).
Week 53 payslip.
Month 12 payslip.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 3
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Just to confirm you have now gained settled status, is that correct? Thanks, Angela

yes I have gained settled status.
Reply 4
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Do you already have an application? If so, are you only getting Tuition Fees at the moment?

If you're applying for the higher rate of a Maintenance Loan and are under 25, then we do need your parent/s to support the application. Since they are overseas and won't have a National Insurance Number, we require evidence of the income. For example;

Letter from the sponsor’s employer (confirming salary for the tax year).
Accountant’s letter.
Self-Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent).
Week 53 payslip.
Month 12 payslip.

Thanks, Leah.

yes I am currently only getting tuition fee.
will any of these letters have to be translated as he lives in Portugal.
Original post by RCor
yes I am currently only getting tuition fee.
will any of these letters have to be translated as he lives in Portugal.

If you're able to translate the documents, we would recommend this. If not, someone here will attempt to translate it for you.

In case you aren't already aware, it will be a PN1 form that is needed to apply. It would need to be sent in the post if you already have an EU Tuition Fee application, as it won't let you apply online.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 6
Oh I see so I apply for a PN1 form and a Pff2 is that correct? Do I send everything through the post as-well or should my dad apply for an account online?
sorry to be a pain, but on the pff2 form it says below : Did did you receive any income in tax year 2021-22 from overseas that wasn’t declared to HMRC? I put no do everything as he basically doesn't need to declare anything to HMRC right?
also thank you very much for your help.
Original post by RCor
Oh I see so I apply for a PN1 form and a Pff2 is that correct? Do I send everything through the post as-well or should my dad apply for an account online?
sorry to be a pain, but on the pff2 form it says below : Did did you receive any income in tax year 2021-22 from overseas that wasn’t declared to HMRC? I put no do everything as he basically doesn't need to declare anything to HMRC right?
also thank you very much for your help.

Yes. There is a PFF2 within the PN1 form, but you can send the PFF2 separately if you prefer. We will also need your settled share code on the application and Home Office letter confirming the date you were granted the settled status.

If he receives income in Portugal then this question would be 'yes', since this would not be declared to the HMRC in the UK. It will then say go to section 4, which then asks about what kind of income he receives. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 8
Good morning, I forgot to ask yesterday if it will be a possible for me to get backpay from maintenance loan? When I called student finance up they said if I could prove that I have been attending university since September I could possibly get the amount that was due to me at the end of September/ start of October and then the following one that's coming up. Will I have to provide any type proof for this or request anything in particular?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by RCor
Good morning, I forgot to ask yesterday if it will be a possible for me to get backpay from maintenance loan? When I called student finance up they said if I could prove that I have been attending university since September I could possibly get the amount that was due to me at the end of September/ start of October and then the following one that's coming up. Will I have to provide any type proof for this or request anything in particular?

Hi there.

Yes, this is possible. Just to confirm, when did you get Settled Status, was this just recently?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 10
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there.

Yes, this is possible. Just to confirm, when did you get Settled Status, was this just recently?

Thanks, Graeme

Yes I have just recently been approved for settled status.
Original post by RCor
Yes I have just recently been approved for settled status.

Okay, it's possible that you'll be entitled to the Term 1 payment, but we'll need our assessors to review your application first.

We'd suggest posting the PN1 form to us as soon as you're able and then we can tell you exactly what you're entitled to.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 12
Original post by Graeme SFE
Okay, it's possible that you'll be entitled to the Term 1 payment, but we'll need our assessors to review your application first.

We'd suggest posting the PN1 form to us as soon as you're able and then we can tell you exactly what you're entitled to.

Thanks, Graeme

Thank you very much for your help.
Do I sent the pn1 form separate to the pff2 or can I send this all together with all the proof inside as well. Also should my dad (who is Portuguese) create an account to support my application or not as we will be sending everything through the post?
Original post by RCor
Thank you very much for your help.
Do I sent the pn1 form separate to the pff2 or can I send this all together with all the proof inside as well. Also should my dad (who is Portuguese) create an account to support my application or not as we will be sending everything through the post?

Hi RCor,

You can send all the documents together. Your dad does not need to create an online account if you are sending a pff2 by post.

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending