The Student Room Group

Dropping a GCSE option in Year 11?

Hello, I don't really know how to use this website (I hope that this is the correct section to be posting in!) so I'll keep this short (kind of).

I have been contemplating whether or not I should drop one of the options I have selected. I am still deciding, however I wish to gain other people's opinions on this matter.

But before I discuss about this - here is a quick overview explaining why I wish to drop this certain subject.

It all began at the beginning of the year. We were informed that we would be recieving a new teacher prior to Year 11, however I believed that this would not affect the subject or the class in anyway, in consideration that Year 10 had been a good year. Nevertheless this assumption was false, and the class has been causing me to become miserable everytime I am required to attend. I despise (I shouldn't be saying this but it's true) the teacher, as they do not treat me as fairly as the other students/ignore me most of the time, in addition to treating me inferior to other pupils as they often speak to me as if I am idiotic. Furthermore the pupils in the class itself have become much worse in terms of behaviour and tend to be louder as a result. This generally distracts me from my work, which I fear will soon lead me to having vast amounts of incomplete work.

I still wish to earn a full set of GCSEs. Nonetheless I fear that it is too late to swap subjects and though I wish to gain happiness from removing this burden in my life, I believe that I would regret not recieving the ten GCSEs that I have been anticipating for. I am also aware that it is quite foolish to want to drop a GCSE due to the class itself, however at the moment I am extremely desperate to resolve this problem.
It's too late to drop it just carry on with it
Original post by RocketWarrior
Hello, I don't really know how to use this website (I hope that this is the correct section to be posting in!) so I'll keep this short (kind of).

I have been contemplating whether or not I should drop one of the options I have selected. I am still deciding, however I wish to gain other people's opinions on this matter.

But before I discuss about this - here is a quick overview explaining why I wish to drop this certain subject.

It all began at the beginning of the year. We were informed that we would be recieving a new teacher prior to Year 11, however I believed that this would not affect the subject or the class in anyway, in consideration that Year 10 had been a good year. Nevertheless this assumption was false, and the class has been causing me to become miserable everytime I am required to attend. I despise (I shouldn't be saying this but it's true) the teacher, as they do not treat me as fairly as the other students/ignore me most of the time, in addition to treating me inferior to other pupils as they often speak to me as if I am idiotic. Furthermore the pupils in the class itself have become much worse in terms of behaviour and tend to be louder as a result. This generally distracts me from my work, which I fear will soon lead me to having vast amounts of incomplete work.

I still wish to earn a full set of GCSEs. Nonetheless I fear that it is too late to swap subjects and though I wish to gain happiness from removing this burden in my life, I believe that I would regret not recieving the ten GCSEs that I have been anticipating for. I am also aware that it is quite foolish to want to drop a GCSE due to the class itself, however at the moment I am extremely desperate to resolve this problem.

A full set of GCSEs is soon going to be 8 (Google: Attainment 8) and right now, the highest number of GCSEs I've seen a University require for a top course is 9. So dropping one subject will be fine if that's a massive concern. However if you still want ten, have you tried speaking to your teacher? Form tutor? Head of Subject? Head of Year? In most schools, sets overlap in terms of progress and predicted grades, so maybe if you can see if moving set is an option? Or if your school is organised in this way, move class within the same band/set?
Original post by Mahree_Ah
A full set of GCSEs is soon going to be 8 (Google: Attainment 8) and right now, the highest number of GCSEs I've seen a University require for a top course is 9. So dropping one subject will be fine if that's a massive concern. However if you still want ten, have you tried speaking to your teacher? Form tutor? Head of Subject? Head of Year? In most schools, sets overlap in terms of progress and predicted grades, so maybe if you can see if moving set is an option? Or if your school is organised in this way, move class within the same band/set?

Thank you for your reply!
I have considered discussing this matter with the head of year, however they tend to be quite busy so I am not sure when I'll be able to do so. But I can always speak to my form tutor to pass on a message. :smile:
Original post by ChemGeek16

Despite the fact that teachers say that, it's not true much of the time.
Original post by _gcx
Despite the fact that teachers say that, it's not true much of the time.

Trust me I tried

That is always an option to consider. Nonetheless I might as well see if I have any other options as opposed to carrying on with it.
However if all else fails, I'll do this.
Trust me I tried

The school may decline your request, but it's still theoretically possible, ie. some schools will withdraw you.
Original post by _gcx
The school may decline your request, but it's still theoretically possible, ie. some schools will withdraw you.

There's no point though it's the final year. Actually it's 8 months
Original post by RocketWarrior

What subject?

Quick Reply

Latest