The Student Room Group

General question about timetables in unis

Hi there.

Very general question since i am financially bothered. How many days/hours per week are taking place in the uni while studying bsc nursing (mental health)?
I would like to work(approximately 25-30 hours/week) while studying because i am on my own and i have to consider about rent and bills. But could i achieve this in reality?
Thanks... :smile:
Original post by Asklepios1
Hi there.

Very general question since i am financially bothered. How many days/hours per week are taking place in the uni while studying bsc nursing (mental health)?
I would like to work(approximately 25-30 hours/week) while studying because i am on my own and i have to consider about rent and bills. But could i achieve this in reality?
Thanks... :smile:

Hi, unfortunately this would not be possible at all. University hours for nursing usually begin as four, or even five, full days a week. This does gradually decrease in second and third year, but then the expectation is that you will use that time as self-directed study for your essays - and your dissertation in third year. Placements are obviously full time, and although some will be shifts, and therefore offer more days off than a Mon-Fri role, you will need to spend your time off writing essays, reflections and completing your placement assessment paperwork, as the chances of completing it on the ward are usually slim.

You must also consider the implication on your patients when on placement, if you are working yourself into the ground outside of placement. If you are exhausted due to working lots of extra hours, this will not only affect your learning, but also your capacity to respond appropriately in an emergency or to recognise an impending one. And that is not acceptable, as even as a student nurse you have a duty of care to your patients. Most student nurses find it useful to have a job with a 0 hour contract that fits around their studies because you simply cannot commit to any regular hours in a place of work, whatsoever. Many student nurses do Bank HCA work, others work for their universities (Like I did). Anywhere that does 0 hour contracts is ideal.
Hi, I'm in the same position I'm starting in September, it's a worry financially when you're on your own. 0 hours or casual relief work is the best option. you just let the company know your availability or in some cases they show you the rota 2 weeks/1 month beforehand and you can let them know when you're free to work. this is ideal as some weeks you may be on top of study and have a day or two off depending on timetable so you could pick a couple of shifts up. other weeks will be more intense and you may not have the time to work at all.

Ring around a few companies, preferably for you ones that focus on mental health, and see what they can offer you. this will allow you to earn some extra money without committing to an unrealistic work schedule plus you'll gain lots of experience in the field whilst studying.

I have secured a position as casual relief with one company that offer floating support where you work with people for short shifts who just need basic support with finances, shopping etc. these shifts are flexible and generally last 4 hours. I've also got a zero hours contract with another care firm who just ask what your availability is every week so having 2 contracts means it gives me a backup if one firm hasn't got hours to offer me but also gives me flexibility to not work for either if i need to focus more on study.

The good thing is that care firms must ensure adequate cover is available because it's unsafe to not have the appropriate levels of cover in care homes and providing care in people's houses so usually scope for relief workers to pick up hours regularly. Hope you can pick something up soon :smile:
Carrie thanks a lot for your post. Very helpful. Could you please tell me how many days per week is your course? I assume is bsc mental health nursing.

Thank you paediatricstn. Always your posts are very enlightening.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
At my uni each year of nursing counts towards the final classification.
I'm now in my final year and our days in uni have not decreased. The workload has gradually increased and we're really busy all week basically. I'm in 9-5 Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is a half day. Thurs i am in all day and Fridays vary but usually that is a half day with then the lectures online for later on.
Saying that, I am lucky to have work with agency bank etc where I can pick up shifts after uni during the week and do shifts on the weekends.
There have been some weeks I've managed 25 hours in uni, around 20 hours of self directed study and then 35 hours in work some weeks.
It's a delicate balancing act and I'm exhausted come the end of the week but I need to work or I couldn't afford to live. Never mind getting to placement and back etc.
It's all about what you can manage around your studies and how well you can balance working with also getting good grades etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Timetable seems too strict. Myself i am EU mature student, i am in the country for 3 years and on my own but i have no access to maintenance loan. Living in London the rent is no joke. I want to study though, i want to progress. It seems that bank is the best option. Although i am afraid that some weeks i won't find the desirable hours. Nhs bursaries next year are off. I don't know, everything seems not very student-friendly at the moment. Thanks deviant for time to guide me. :smile:

Agency banking is the best option as you need that flexibility around classes.
You need to do 2300 hours of theory in class and 2300 in practice so you can't miss classes for the sake of picking up an extra shift or two.
It's difficult, but nursing timetables are full on. They're not like other university courses.
Try and work as much as you can before you begin to look at completing the course. That way you can save up and use that money for weeks where you may not be able to work. Don't worry about hours though, the NHS and private companies are unfortunately very often understaffed and short of people. Hence the existence of banking and agencies. This weekend alone I've had requests in my area for cover for 18 different wards in different hospitals.
Some times you'll be inundated, others not as much. But there will always be work going!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the info. You gave me a good insight. I will apply next month for next year's intake. I will firm London unis cause i feel i will have more job opportunities here in the capital instead of risking and going to a new unknown and smaller place. Hope my logic is right.

Best of luck to you lovely, i understand what you mean about things not being very student friendly with the decision to withdraw bursaries, its not an option for lots of people to study without working part time and with the nursing being a 3 year degree it's very demanding to balance study and work. Be much easier if there was a PGCE style one year course for it that would be ideal! i hope you can use this year to save up and gain some experience before you apply for next year, having extra funds and exposure to the area you want to study will stand you in good stead financially and on a practical basis 😊
Thanks Carrie, all the best and to you too. What's your timetable? Out of curiosity :biggrin:

I havent had my full timetable yet as the tutorial groups will be set during induction week but the base timetable is 3.5 days per week so i am hoping to pick up 1-2 short evening shifts in the week and 1 longer one on a weekend day so that i have enough time to study and have a rest day and still earn money.that's the plan anyway not sure what the reality will be like!
Good luck, everything will go well. Are you going to a uni in London?

Thank you :smile: i am based in Wales and attending uni here as its 40 minutes from my home.
Beautiful Wales :smile: You are so lucky that you have the uni close to you. Less problems to worry about. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending