The Student Room Group

Can you sit in on uni lectures

And if so, how do you find the lecture timetables of a uni? And do they take attendance or can you just walk in?
Reply 1
It all depends on your uni, usually you'll have a virtual learning platform within which you'll have all your academic materials, timetables etc. Attendance is stated to be compulsory for most uni's lectures but my uni doesn't take attendance and I've found that your tutorials are much more important (and beneficial anyway). As long as you keep up with the assigned work you'll be fine.
Original post by examcrammer156
And if so, how do you find the lecture timetables of a uni? And do they take attendance or can you just walk in?

As a uni student at that uni, potentially - you would need to contact the lecturer in advance for permission however.

If you're a member of the public or of another university, generally no.

Hi,

Since the pandemic, there's been a lot of changes in the educational system so lectures can be either online or in person and occasionally both. It depends on your university, degree and even what year you are in. When I was in my first year, both my lectures and seminars were in person but now in my second year, my lectures are online and some are pre recorded lectures. My timetable is quite comfortable as I only come to school 9hrs a week but I know some people in other courses that have a class every day so again depends on what course you do. And attendance is always taken because we have a system where we just tap our student ID's. There should be a specified site or app where you can access your timetables, every uni has it's different systems. But I'm sure all this information would be provided when you ask someone who works in the Uni or your coursemate/friend.

Benedicta,
Digital Ambassador UoS

Hey @examcrammer156 :smile: Are you already a student at a uni? I'm not sure if you're maybe looking to get a taster from some subjects as part of your application process? If so then Open Days are a good way to do that - you can sit in on taster/mini lectures so you can see the teaching space and get a feel for academics teaching on the course. You can sit in as many as you like across the day.
If you're not able to sit in one during term time then that's a potential alternative. Sorry if that's not the reason you were asking the question! :redface:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending