The Student Room Group

What would be your ideal job?

Whether you're in the job already, working towards it, or even if it's just a lofty goal, what would your ideal job be, and why?

And how does that compare to the job you're in now?
Reply 1
I'd love to become a uni researcher/lecturer and currently a undergrad so...
Reply 2
I want to work rescuing animals. Whether that is just working for my local animal shelter or doing conservation work or something along those lines, I'm not too sure yet but I have a broad idea of what I would like to do. I am studying biology at uni, well I will be when I return hopefully next year, and I hope to use my degree towards working with animals as well as my previous work experience and courses.
Original post by shadowdweller
Whether you're in the job already, working towards it, or even if it's just a lofty goal, what would your ideal job be, and why?

And how does that compare to the job you're in now?

I have a couple:
1. CEO and Founder of a billion dollar technology company working on building next gen technological products (e.g. self driving cars, VR, molecular scale robots etc).

2. Private equity and venture capital investor with a focus on technology + R&D. Would put in part time software engineer/inventor into this too.

3. Partner or MD in a leading investment bank's technology coverage team or in the TMT practice of a strategy consulting firm

4. VP of Engineering, Strategy or Product for a large tech company or up and coming startup

I feel they all have something in common:
- specializing in technology (i'm a CompSci student and tech geek at hear)
- bigger picture, strategic nature of the work
- large scale impact
- huge mounds of responsibility and challenge
- all require collaboration across several different key players
- mix of technology, business, finance, strategy and various other domains
- it takes heavy investing in your career + luck to reach any of the above; i.e. they're all a challenge to obtain
- compensation potential

As of now, I'll be starting a CS degree so a fair bit away from any of the above. Open to starting my career in either investment banking, consulting, software engineering or product management and really just any job that'll act as a springboard to my eventual goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I want to do research. I just love it. I love literature reviewing, identifying evidence gaps, planning interventions/designing studies, thinking about advantages and limitations, applying research, critiquing, evaluating, writing reports, learning. I just love it.

I am a Social Researcher.

Ergo, yay. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Spock's Socks
I want to work rescuing animals. Whether that is just working for my local animal shelter or doing conservation work or something along those lines, I'm not too sure yet but I have a broad idea of what I would like to do. I am studying biology at uni, well I will be when I return hopefully next year, and I hope to use my degree towards working with animals as well as my previous work experience and courses.

Exactly this!

In an ideal world, I would love to be an animal rescuer, or work with animals in any way for a number of years, then go back to university and study to become a vet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending