The Student Room Group

Chemistry help

Hey guys, it would mean loads if you could help me with this question, it seems simple but I can't seem to figure it out!

A) An atom of element Q contains the same number of neutrons as are found in an atom of 27 Al. An atom of Q also contains 14 protons.

I) Give the number of protons in an atom of 27 Al

II) Deduce the symbol, including mass number and atomic number, for this atom of element Q ( I looked at the periodic table and got the answer of 28.1 Si 14)

Please help!
Hello, there is a whatsgroup which is filled of students helping each other on mathematics and the science based subjects, it consists AS & A2 that help each other. Everyone in this group is a student of the student room and it has been running since March this year. If you are interested reply to this message
Original post by Qasim Abbassi
Hey guys, it would mean loads if you could help me with this question, it seems simple but I can't seem to figure it out!

A) An atom of element Q contains the same number of neutrons as are found in an atom of 27 Al. An atom of Q also contains 14 protons.

I) Give the number of protons in an atom of 27 Al

II) Deduce the symbol, including mass number and atomic number, for this atom of element Q ( I looked at the periodic table and got the answer of 28.1 Si 14)

Please help!

Simply do 27-14=13 neutrons for Q
Look for element has 14 protons
Which assuming you are correct is silicon
You're very close, the answer should be 28 Si
28.1 is an average based off all the isotopes and their relative abundancies, since you have both the proton and neutron numbers however, you can be more specific than the average Ar of a silicon atom and give the precise Ar of this silicon atom.
14 neutrons + 14 protons = 28
Original post by Dr Cobbold
Simply do 27-14=13 neutrons for Q
Look for element has 14 protons
Which assuming you are correct is silicon

Thanks so much!!!
Original post by k.russell
You're very close, the answer should be 28 Si
28.1 is an average based off all the isotopes and their relative abundancies, since you have both the proton and neutron numbers however, you can be more specific than the average Ar of a silicon atom and give the precise Ar of this silicon atom.
14 neutrons + 14 protons = 28

Omg thanks!!! i don't feel confused anymore lol! x

Quick Reply

Latest