The Student Room Group

Which college would you apply for in this situation?

Hello TSR.

I'm in a bit of dilema choosing my Oxford college. So I'd thought I consult you lot to get some form of consensus.

So, I'm applying for Oriental Studies as a mature student. I spent two years at a different uni, studying English then Theology, but always has a passion for the languages I'm applying to study and I demonstrated this through the course, and extra curricular language classes- I originally applied to do Law, but realised I didnt want to be a lawyer, so I switched. I always wanted to do Oriental Studies

Anyway.

I'm stuck between St John's and Harris Manchester (mature college)

One the one hand, Johns is much much cheaper- in fact, the two are the cheapest and most expensive Oxford colleges to live in. One the other hand, Harris Manchester might be more accomodating of my educational unorthodox background.

St John's is more competitve than Harris Manchester. However, you are more likely to be pooled from St John's- giving me an extra shot at interview. Question: If I apply as a 20 year old starting uni at 21, would they automatically pool me to Harris Manchester if I applied to St John's? In which case, if it yes, then I might as well try for St John;s.

Also, I'm a little worried that I'll be a bit too old for St John's, starting at 21 years. However, I visited both colleges, and loved them both in ambience etc....

Not sure what to do. The question in bold is the key one.

Thanks a lot TSR.
Reply 1
BUMP
Original post by Shakapulu
Hello TSR.

I'm in a bit of dilema choosing my Oxford college. So I'd thought I consult you lot to get some form of consensus.

So, I'm applying for Oriental Studies as a mature student. I spent two years at a different uni, studying English then Theology, but always has a passion for the languages I'm applying to study and I demonstrated this through the course, and extra curricular language classes- I originally applied to do Law, but realised I didnt want to be a lawyer, so I switched. I always wanted to do Oriental Studies

Anyway.

I'm stuck between St John's and Harris Manchester (mature college)

One the one hand, Johns is much much cheaper- in fact, the two are the cheapest and most expensive Oxford colleges to live in. One the other hand, Harris Manchester might be more accomodating of my educational unorthodox background.

St John's is more competitve than Harris Manchester. However, you are more likely to be pooled from St John's- giving me an extra shot at interview. Question: If I apply as a 20 year old starting uni at 21, would they automatically pool me to Harris Manchester if I applied to St John's? In which case, if it yes, then I might as well try for St John;s.

Also, I'm a little worried that I'll be a bit too old for St John's, starting at 21 years. However, I visited both colleges, and loved them both in ambience etc....

Not sure what to do. The question in bold is the key one.

Thanks a lot TSR.

If you make an Open Application, then we think you would be allocated to Harris Manchester. If you apply to St John's and were you to receive an offer, this would be either a St John's offer or an offer from another college accepting students for Oriental Studies, which might or might not be Harris Manchester.

Our Fresher age range for entry in October is 16 to 27 with 3 aged under 18, 5 over 20, and the rest aged 18 or 19.

The general guidance to applicants is to choose the college they prefer and to see what happens - in the knowledge that the overwhelming majority of students gaining places are very happy with the college they are undergraduates at, even if this differs from the choice at application.
Reply 3
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
If you make an Open Application, then we think you would be allocated to Harris Manchester. If you apply to St John's and were you to receive an offer, this would be either a St John's offer or an offer from another college accepting students for Oriental Studies, which might or might not be Harris Manchester.

Our Fresher age range for entry in October is 16 to 27 with 3 aged under 18, 5 over 20, and the rest aged 18 or 19.

The general guidance to applicants is to choose the college they prefer and to see what happens - in the knowledge that the overwhelming majority of students gaining places are very happy with the college they are undergraduates at, even if this differs from the choice at application.

Thanks anyway. But, you still have answered my question- if I apply to St John's, will I automatically get the second interview at HM because I am a mature student?
Original post by Shakapulu
Thanks anyway. But, you still have answered my question- if I apply to St John's, will I automatically get the second interview at HM because I am a mature student?

We don't know about second interviews. We have some information based on final destinations.

The only automatic allocation to HM we are aware of is Open Offers who are 21+

We had a quick look at last year's admissions stats. 3 candiates applied to St John's who are 21 or older on matriculation and who gained places elsewhere. 1 was offered a place at Harris Manchester and the other 2 places at another college.

On the basis of quite limited information, our conclusion is 'automatic - no' and 'more likely than other colleges - yes'. You'll have to ask St John's or Harris Manchester for more insights.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending