The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into high ranked universities for master's?

Hello everyone,

I've recently completed my undergraduate studies in business management and I'm looking forward to applying for my master's degree in management as well.

However, the thing is that I've graduated from a low ranked university, which is ranked somewhere in the 100s on the league of tables. I've got a 2:1 which is good and what is actually required by the universities I am going to apply to.

The question is, do I have a chance at receiving an offer from high ranked universities such as City or UCL in management? I'm particularly interested in UCL.

Unfortunately, I haven't done anything special during my undergraduate studies, such as work or volunteering etc, which I greatly regret. As you know, these things must be mentioned in the CV and personal statement which I will be sending them.

In summary, considering that I got a 2:1 degree from a low ranked university, no work experience, no volunteering, and the ability to provide two academic references from my lecturers/tutors, what are my realistic chances of getting into high ranked universities, ideally City or UCL in a master's course in management? Should I get my hopes high or should I lower my expectations. Either way, I am still applying.

Would appreciate any answers. Especially from those who's been through similar situations.

Thanks.
Original post by Ali40
Hello everyone,

I've recently completed my undergraduate studies in business management and I'm looking forward to applying for my master's degree in management as well.

However, the thing is that I've graduated from a low ranked university, which is ranked somewhere in the 100s on the league of tables. I've got a 2:1 which is good and what is actually required by the universities I am going to apply to.

The question is, do I have a chance at receiving an offer from high ranked universities such as City or UCL in management? I'm particularly interested in UCL.

Unfortunately, I haven't done anything special during my undergraduate studies, such as work or volunteering etc, which I greatly regret. As you know, these things must be mentioned in the CV and personal statement which I will be sending them.

In summary, considering that I got a 2:1 degree from a low ranked university, no work experience, no volunteering, and the ability to provide two academic references from my lecturers/tutors, what are my realistic chances of getting into high ranked universities, ideally City or UCL in a master's course in management? Should I get my hopes high or should I lower my expectations. Either way, I am still applying.

Would appreciate any answers. Especially from those who's been through similar situations.

Thanks.

Generally for masters courses if you have a 2i and the funds to pay the fees then you'll get an offer - universities are far less selective for postgrad courses than for undergrad courses.
If you meet the entry requirements then you've got a decent chance of getting in. Rankings are pretty much meaningless at postgraduate level (possibly exceptions for law and some finance courses) and a MSc in Management really won't care where your first degree was from.

One thing to consider - masters degrees in management are funny. They don't really follow on from undergraduate degrees (there's no new content as such) so are often designed for people who did undergraduate degrees in subjects other than business. If you've got a few years work experience then you could consider an accredited MBA which adds a valuable network and brand to your profile. With an undergraduate degree in business management you should think very carefully before going for a MSc/MiM Management course. Consider the course content and think about what you'll actually gain from doing the course.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Generally for masters courses if you have a 2i and the funds to pay the fees then you'll get an offer - universities are far less selective for postgrad courses than for undergrad courses.

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks for your reply.
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
If you meet the entry requirements then you've got a decent chance of getting in. Rankings are pretty much meaningless at postgraduate level (possibly exceptions for law and some finance courses) and a MSc in Management really won't care where your first degree was from.

One thing to consider - masters degrees in management are funny. They don't really follow on from undergraduate degrees (there's no new content as such) so are often designed for people who did undergraduate degrees in subjects other than business. If you've got a few years work experience then you could consider an accredited MBA which adds a valuable network and brand to your profile. With an undergraduate degree in business management you should think very carefully before going for a MSc/MiM Management course. Consider the course content and think about what you'll actually gain from doing the course.

That's interesting.

You're right, it really isn't that much of a continuation from the undergraduate degree.

Do you think it's unusual or kind of stupid to do an MBA after I do my MSc in management?

Or perhaps, what is your personal opinion regarding what subject I should do my master's other than management, if I consider doing an MBA after a few years of work experience. For example, a master's in business analytics/IT, economics, computer science etc?
Reply 5
Management post grads are often targeted at folk like myself who did not do business at undergrad and want to get into business.

My degree was in biomed, and I've been in contact with various admissions teams from various red brick unis and this seems to be the case for most of them.
Reply 6
A Master's level degree in Management is intended for newly college grads of a discipline ouside of management. The program will introduce you to the concepts of the subject field and will expose you to the nature of the industry encompassing management, finance and consulting.

UCL is a brilliant university, but it's not really good in this subject field. It pales in comparison to some places in the countryside. I don't see an added cost benefit of acquiring a master's level management degree at UCL good. The program fee is high. Living in London is utterly expensive. And, the employment prospect coming out of the program isn't that good.

WIth your qualification and stats, I'd suggest you set your sight at, and focus your application on, the ff schools:

1. Warwick
2. Manchester
3. Cranfield

These schools are world-class with global recognition and respect. Their graduates are able to land jobs at leading banks and management consulting firms. Warwick, for instance, will get you interviews at Goldman Sachs, Google, Amazon, McKinsey and other big names in the financial industry.

- gap -

Edinburgh
Bath
Nottingham
Durham
Bristol

Then also maybe

Lancaster
Bradford
Aston
Birmingham
Ashridge
York

OR maybe you have a shot at some really highly respected program in the US.

Take a look:
http://poetsandquants.com/2016/10/25/meet-berkeleys-haas-mba-class-2018/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
This is really interesting, I'm applying for a management MSc, just graduated this year with 86% average, but was looking at league tables and thought Bath, lancaster and Durham were better than Manchester?

I'd love insight from someone who knows more about this field because I'm changing from biomedicine so it'd good to hear some advice about how respected these institutions are within the field.
Original post by Ali40
Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Congratulations @Ali40 for completing your undergraduate studies. Cranfield University, where I currently run my PhD, has an excellent reputation in Management and Management related courses. I'm sure other schools which are high-ranked follow similar admissions process.

Firstly, it is good to have a good degree which you have, a 2.1. This should put your application amongst those which will be selected for initial review in a high-ranked university. Since you don't have a work experience, I would suggest that in your personal statement, you make a clear argument on why you should be selected. Your academic record, passion for the course, career aspirations, current and future world/business challenges you think the degree will help you solve, etc. Those kind of bits. If a reference is requested, then contact your undergraduate thesis supervisor/ lecturers; I am sure they will be keen on helping you if you tell them that you intend to go for a Masters. I had my undergraduate studies in a "low-ranked university", but did my MSc in a higher-ranked University.

Your chances are higher than you think! Gooduck with your application. (Just out of interest, have you considered an MBA?)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending