The Student Room Group

To people who believe in God, could you answer my questions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I really did want an insult free thread, but ugh this is TSR after all.

no you wanted a thread without criticism but that's not going to happen on a public forum.

and in fairness, i have not insulted anyone in this thread but i've been insulted plenty. so much for the righteousness of the religious.
Original post by iThrow
no compulsion to provide yourself with any evidence either. i just hope the day doesn't come where your 'god' whispers into your ear for you to do something ultra scary/crazy, and if it does come that maybe you'll question it for a second or 2.

I'm a big fan of Ignatian spirituality, so I would - and do - spend ages discerning anything God says to me before acting. Discernment of the spirits ftw! :king1:

Fear not! :tongue:
Original post by iThrow
no you wanted a thread without criticism but that's not going to happen on a public forum.

and in fairness, i have not insulted anyone in this thread but i've been insulted plenty. so much for the righteousness of the religious.

You seem to know exactly what I want, exactly what every scripture says. Goodness me.
Reply 103
Let's stop this from just becoming a trading of insults. Why don't you tell us more about your beliefs @iThrow?
I don;t want to hear what's wrong about what others think. I want to know about your views on what you think YOUR own personal purpose is, what you consider to be ethical/moral, and what you consider to be kindness. I don't want a response that's a judgement of others, I want you to tell me what you think of yourself.
I'm legitimately interested and would like to know.
Reply 104
You seem to know exactly what I want, exactly what every scripture says. Goodness me.

well nobody has been insulted in this thread so I just assumed you were counting the criticisms as insults (they're not) so it's either that or you're just lying and being a victim.

where did i say i knew what every scripture says? as i said before, i have no desire to delve into the desert scribblings of sikhism.

here's a funny thing though, you don't believe in almost the same amount of gods i don't believe in. there's thousands and thousands of gods that have been believed in and i believe in none of them and you believe in none of them except one, the one you were born into no-less.

but i'm sure that's all just coincidence
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by spico
Let's stop this from just becoming a trading of insults. Why don't you tell us more about your beliefs @iThrow?
I don;t want to hear what's wrong about what others think. I want to know about your views on what you think YOUR own personal purpose is, what you consider to be ethical/moral, and what you consider to be kindness. I don't want a response that's a judgement of others, I want you to tell me what you think of yourself.
I'm legitimately interested and would like to know.

to repeat (largely) my post just above this one, my beliefs are probably nearly identical to yours - except you believe in one more god than me. and you're so sure yours is the right one.

i guess im just less arrogant than that.
Reply 106
Original post by iThrow
to repeat (largely) my post just above this one, my beliefs are probably nearly identical to yours - except you believe in one more god than me. and you're so sure yours is the right one.

i guess im just less arrogant than that.

You call me arrogant yet you just assumed I have faith in a single deity and in your words I am sure mine is the right one. Never once in this thread did I speak of my own beliefs and not once have I said that I even believe in any deity whatsoever.
The only reason I got involved in this thread was because of your blatant inability to accept that people have different beliefs to you and that that is not necessarily a bad thing.
I also asked specific questions that you have brushed over with an entirely generalised reply. Could you please deign to bring yourself down to the level of a decent human being and actually answer my politely worded questions before my intolerance of intolerant people starts to shine through.
Reply 107
Original post by spico
You call me arrogant yet you just assumed I have faith in a single deity and in your words I am sure mine is the right one. Never once in this thread did I speak of my own beliefs and not once have I said that I even believe in any deity whatsoever.
The only reason I got involved in this thread was because of your blatant inability to accept that people have different beliefs to you and that that is not necessarily a bad thing.
I also asked specific questions that you have brushed over with an entirely generalised reply. Could you please deign to bring yourself down to the level of a decent human being and actually answer my politely worded questions before my intolerance of intolerant people starts to shine through.

well then please feel free to furnish me with your religious beliefs so that i can project lack of acceptance on to them also. as i'm sure you can infer i am an atheist.
Reply 108
So now you are going to project a lack of acceptance on atheism despite being an atheist yourself? This should be interesting to watch. Let me grab my popcorn.
Reply 109
Original post by spico
So now you are going to project a lack of acceptance on atheism despite being an atheist yourself? This should be interesting to watch. Let me grab my popcorn.

absolutely not. i merely assumed you were religious and that was clearly a mistaken assumption. tahts the beauty about not having a holy book making your assumptions for you because when you realise you're wrong you can just man up to your mistake - like i did.

doesn't change anything else about this thread other than you taking on some kind of holy white-knight role where you try to 'protect' people from me? very noble of you to stand up for the offended religious people.
Reply 110
It seems to me here that the agenda you have is an end to religion altogether, correct me if I'm wrong.
I presume you also consider yourself to be more ethical and moral, and since you said it yourself, 'more intelligent', than any follower of any religion.
I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption here, again, correct me if I'm wrong, that you consider religion to be entirely detrimental to humanity as a species and thus should be eradicated.
And therein lies the problem I have with your arguments. It is the same problem I tend to have when I see anything that is considered a 'conflict'. The problem is that both sides always claim that they are right, and they want to debate, talk and listen, yet when it comes down to it, they don't. What it is they are truly aiming to do is lecture the other person and force their belief of what is correct on the other person.
I feel that you are too blindsided by your own belief that religion is wrong, to see that there are in fact positives to the concept of religion and religious people that are beneficial to humanity.
(Yes I understand that much of what I have written above may seem hypocritical. However, I would like to point out that I consider this more an explanation of what my opinion of the problem is. I understand that there is a possibility of my being wrong, I understand that it may be one of many factors that make up a whole, and it is not my intention to force you to do anything, but I would however like you to try and see both sided of the argument here. And by that, I'm not talking about the existence of deities, but about the effect of religion on the world and on humanity)
I will not leave anymore messages here or respond to this thread anymore as I feel I have made any point I can make and I don't think that it I can respond to anything more with fresh input as I feel this whole thing is just too cyclic. I hope what I have just said is comprehensible enough for you to understand and that it triggers a train of thought that leads to an attempt to further understanding of the role that religion plays in the world. If you feel that I am just being a hypocritical piece of **** then maybe I have not managed to convey myself clearly enough. I wish you all a nice life and long contemplation.
Reply 111

1)What religion do you belong to?

None, albeit I am tempted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Spoiler

2)Have you "experienced" God in any way, shape or form?

No.

3)What was your experience?

4)Do you believe you will meet/experience God one day?

No.
Original post by yungaheartz
1. Christian
2. Yes
3. Many, many times he has answered my prayers, even ones that seemed impossible so to me thats my way of 'experiencing' him. It just feels like hes right there, I ask him for something and I usually get it.
4. Yes, I really hope so!

Just out of interest, what prayers do you think have been answered for you? I'm especially interested in the ones you consider impossible! :smile:
Original post by iThrow
actually in fact that's kinda how we improve as a species by more-intelligent people coming down hard on the ridiculous musings of the less-intelligent. this is a pretty common thing on the internet where there is no shortage of either smart people or ridiculous musings. when evidence is provided its a different matter - then we can have debate based on evidence but if someones only evidence for something is what they "feel" then they should expect people to provide a robust resistance, like robby did.

If that is the case, it's a shame it's not happening here...
I really want Atheists/ agnostics or anyone who disagrees to completely RESPECT this thread. I can't prevent debate, I'm pretty sure it's inevitable on a thread like this but I just don't want this thread to be 17 pages of insulting dribble on why Prophet Muhammed was a pedophile, or how Islam is unfair to women etc etc

Please keep things respectful and non-judgemental

I've been reading and watching a lot of debates/documentaries on religion/God and his existence (a hobby I seem to have taken up recently), and a lot of the debates are fuelled by complex philosophical arguments and enter this weird realm between Philosophy and Science to back up their points, which is extremely interesting but leaves me a tad bit unsatisfied at times. I honestly really just want to keep this extremely simple.

So I want to ask anyone who believes in God:

Spoiler

Christianity (member of an Anglican church, follow Orthodox teaching).

Yes.

Hard to describe, but it was at a very dark moment in my life a few years ago. It was like a hand on my shoulder and a feeling that it would all be alright in the end.

I believe that all the faithful will be united with God after the end of this world.

Original post by spico
You are not expected to respect a person's beliefs, however you are expected to respect the fact that a person has beliefs, and to insult the fact that they believe in something is disrespectful. To be honest, one could consider atheism a belief that there is no deity at all.
The OP wanted to know about whether or not people felt that they have had an experience with G-d. In your case the answer is no, and so leave it at that. If others have felt that they have had an experience with whatever deity they believe in and they choose to share, it's not your place to ridicule and insult them.

Generally speaking atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of one which is why most atheists are agnostic atheists.
I really want Atheists/ agnostics or anyone who disagrees to completely RESPECT this thread. I can't prevent debate, I'm pretty sure it's inevitable on a thread like this but I just don't want this thread to be 17 pages of insulting dribble on why Prophet Muhammed was a pedophile, or how Islam is unfair to women etc etc

Please keep things respectful and non-judgemental

I've been reading and watching a lot of debates/documentaries on religion/God and his existence (a hobby I seem to have taken up recently), and a lot of the debates are fuelled by complex philosophical arguments and enter this weird realm between Philosophy and Science to back up their points, which is extremely interesting but leaves me a tad bit unsatisfied at times. I honestly really just want to keep this extremely simple.

So I want to ask anyone who believes in God:

Spoiler

1.Ahmadiyya Islam,although my personal beliefs is more this diluted with spirituality.
2.Hmm,not really sure .
3.Not certain whether this is a genuine one but when I read about the world works I do find it sort of miraculous that it works at all and that we are capable of understanding it.
4.Hopefully yes,but i doubt it would be one as accurately described in any religious book.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Robby2312

Magic doesnt exist.That is a primitive belief left over from when we couldnt explain anything.Have you ever seen magic?

I could use the same argument against you, do you believe you have a brain, if yes? Why do you believe so when you haven't seen your own brain?

You believe in it because a reliable source called scientists/doctors/brain surgeons told you.

The same way I believe the Quran to be a reliable source of information. And yes I have seen magic happening.
Original post by Kraixo
I could use the same argument against you, do you believe you have a brain, if yes? Why do you believe so when you haven't seen your own brain?

You believe in it because a reliable source called scientists/doctors/brain surgeons told you.

The same way I believe the Quran to be a reliable source of information. And yes I have seen magic happening.

Thats not the same at all.If I wanted to I could pay someone to knock me unconcious,cut my skull open and take a picture or a tissue sample to prove I have a brain.I could crack open other peoples skulls and see their brain.I could use an mri scanner to see my brain.Its logical to assume I have a brain as I'm a human and all other humans have brains.The difference is that I could look at the evidence for myself if I wanted to.The quran on the other hand makes claims backed by no evidence.I t says mohhamed flew to heaven on a winged horse.No winged horses have ever been observed.Heaven has never been observed.All you have to go on is the quran says this is true so it must be true.I'd be interested to know what magic you have seen happening?
Original post by Kraixo

I kind of get what you're trying to argue, but that's a bad example to use, because a brain is a physical object that can physically be observed.

I really did want an insult/judgement free thread, but ugh this is TSR after all.

also it makes people not want to share any experience at all if they sense judgement

Some people judge unfairly, others are simply asking questions and debating, which should be encouraged, for both parties to question their own beliefs as a healthy exercise, although I understand some are not looking for debate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending