The Student Room Group

Which is best for aerospace engineering??

I am applying for 2017 entry and still don't have my options clear in my mind. I am considering to apply to the University of Bath, the University of Nottingham, the University of Southampton and the University of Sheffield, but I am not fully convinced that these are the ones I want to go to... I would like to have your opinions on them and specifically on their aerospace courses. What are these unis like???
I think Bath, Southampton and Sheffield are all good choices and you can't really go wrong with any of them, they all have roughly the same core content and they have good industry links. The major differences being Sheffield gives you the option to do a lot more Electrical oriented content, Southampton has the group project in final year and individual in third year rather than the other way around and the course is more consistent with presenting aero related content in every year, and Bath doesn't give you any options until 4th year.

For Nottingham I think their aero course is very new, which is likely a bad thing as the interdisciplinary nature of aerospace means it's prone to hiccups and teething problems. The content looks pretty good though and offers a few extras not present in the other courses.

edit: forgot to talk about the locations. Sheffield is probably best overall as it's very much a student city, Nottingham comes close behind, then Southampton as it's quite a bit smaller, followed by Bath as the campus is quite far out from everything and it's very small.
(edited 7 years ago)
My brother does Aerospace at Bath and he loves it! Really good employment rate because of the placement year, loads of hands on stuff, group activities etc. The town is literally beautiful and all the people are lovely.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I think Bath, Southampton and Sheffield are all good choices and you can't really go wrong with any of them, they all have roughly the same core content and they have good industry links. The major differences being Sheffield gives you the option to do a lot more Electrical oriented content, Southampton has the group project in final year and individual in third year rather than the other way around and the course is more consistent with presenting aero related content in every year, and Bath doesn't give you any options until 4th year.

For Nottingham I think their aero course is very new, which is likely a bad thing as the interdisciplinary nature of aerospace means it's prone to hiccups and teething problems. The content looks pretty good though and offers a few extras not present in the other courses.

edit: forgot to talk about the locations. Sheffield is probably best overall as it's very much a student city, Nottingham comes close behind, then Southampton as it's quite a bit smaller, followed by Bath as the campus is quite far out from everything and it's very small.

Thank you very much for spending your time answering my questions. This has been very helpful. I have heard that Southampton is like a ghost city but I find it difficult to believe being one of the sunniest cities in the UK. Anyways, I would like to know whether the city the uni is in is an important factor to take into account. Do undergrads have enough time to explore beyond the uni campus or do they normally just stay within it?
Original post by Rachel58
My brother does Aerospace at Bath and he loves it! Really good employment rate because of the placement year, loads of hands on stuff, group activities etc. The town is literally beautiful and all the people are lovely.

Thank you very much!! It sounds very good. Definitely considering Bath as one of my first options.
Original post by Alvarofieira
Thank you very much for spending your time answering my questions. This has been very helpful. I have heard that Southampton is like a ghost city but I find it difficult to believe being one of the sunniest cities in the UK. Anyways, I would like to know whether the city the uni is in is an important factor to take into account. Do undergrads have enough time to explore beyond the uni campus or do they normally just stay within it?

I would say the city is very important as you'll be spending 4 years there so you don't want to be running out of things to do. Undergrads do go beyond the university bubble, it's often quite rewarding finding somewhere outside of the bubble. That's not the entire story though as you'll also get local areas overlapping with the university bubble and this is where the city of choice really makes a difference and you end up with a lot more choice in bigger cities.

Quick Reply

Latest