The Student Room Group

Changing university

Hi,

I have a questions regarding changing universities. I have found some conversations about it online but most of them were from 2010, so I feel like the information might be outdated.
I am now in my first year of uni and so far have been studying here for 1 month, however I don't like my uni and don't enjoy my course.
I found another uni with the same course but much more interesting modules, does anyone know how i should proceed?
Should I start the process now, wait until the end of semester or the end of the first year? Will they then evaluate my first semesters grades?
Also - how do I explain the university the situation, and will they allow me to transfer to a different uni?

Thanks for any help
Just call the other uni up and ask if they have any available spaces and ask them how to proceed.
They'd usually ask for your UCAS ID.
Don't really need to give a long explanation to your current uni, and if your new uni wants a reason just say you didn't like the modules on your current course.
Also, don't wait. Call them tomorrow first thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Sarah1778
Just call the other uni up and ask if they have any available spaces and ask them how to proceed.
Don't really need to give a long explanation to your current uni, and if your new uni wants a reason just say you didn't like the modules on your current course.

Thank you so much! Will do!!
Reply 3

If the university you want to go to is quite good and the course you want to study is somewhat popular, chances are at this point that seats are FILLED up unfortunately. If you really want to transfer, you're best option is to do this, which is a very long process.

1) Apply for 2017 UCAS entry
2) Apply as an Individual which UCAS will ask
3) enter grades, personal information, you're university and the course you are studying.
4) Predicted grades for your current course, you also need a reference from an old college teacher preferably I know others who have done so and it worked for them.
5)You will have to select your Uni choices and the course you want to study
6) write a Personal Statement
7) wait for the uni you want to go to for their response and get the grades they ask for in your first year at your current university.
I hope this helps.
Original post by Asiel.y
Hi,

I have a questions regarding changing universities. I have found some conversations about it online but most of them were from 2010, so I feel like the information might be outdated.
I am now in my first year of uni and so far have been studying here for 1 month, however I don't like my uni and don't enjoy my course.
I found another uni with the same course but much more interesting modules, does anyone know how i should proceed?
Should I start the process now, wait until the end of semester or the end of the first year? Will they then evaluate my first semesters grades?
Also - how do I explain the university the situation, and will they allow me to transfer to a different uni?

Thanks for any help

Original post by ACER676
If the university you want to go to is quite good and the course you want to study is somewhat popular, chances are at this point that seats are FILLED up unfortunately. If you really want to transfer, you're best option is to do this, which is a very long process.

1) Apply for 2017 UCAS entry
2) Apply as an Individual which UCAS will ask
3) enter grades, personal information, you're university and the course you are studying.
4) Predicted grades for your current course, you also need a reference from an old college teacher preferably I know others who have done so and it worked for them.
5)You will have to select your Uni choices and the course you want to study
6) write a Personal Statement
7) wait for the uni you want to go to for their response and get the grades they ask for in your first year at your current university.
I hope this helps.

I really wouldn't suggest wasting a whole year and applying for 2017 entry unless that's what the uni tells you to do. Should definitely call them first, make sure you're speaking to a department head or course convener or anyone with authority. Then I'd say act according to what they tell you. If they say they have spaces then ask them the procedures. If not, apply for 2017 entry asap.
The other uni might even offer second year entry to the course you like, ask them this too so you can just join the second year next year.
Reply 5
I really wouldn't suggest wasting a whole year and applying for 2017 entry unless that's what the uni tells you to do. Should definitely call them first, make sure you're speaking to a department head or course convener or anyone with authority. Then I'd say act according to what they tell you. If they say they have spaces then ask them the procedures. If not, apply for 2017 entry asap.
The other uni might even offer second year entry to the course you like, ask them this too so you can just join the second year next year.

Thank you both for your answers, I will call them tomorrow!!
I know you will have been told this a thousand times, but 1 month is really not long enough to make an informed assessment of your current position. After all, it's not just the course you're saying you don't like, but the university as well. How do you know that you're not going to feel the same way about the next university you go to, and then what...you can't change again.

Isn't it worth sticking with it a bit longer to see how you feel - you might feel entirely different about it once you've settled into it more, from both a social and academic point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending