The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by AdamCW
I'm not 100% but I think most uni's want minimum of a band 2 in the SJT. Although, med schools like Warwick don't even consider it so best to check the medical school's website.

You UKCAT isn't awful though. Worth a shot still I'd say. People with worse are applying..

I dont want to take the risk of getting a pre-interview rejection as I am on a gap year and I only get 4 choices. I want to get as many interviews as possible. It is unfortunate though because if I had gotten a band 2 KCL probably would have been a solid choice.
Hi everyone, urgently need help

I am an international student

I have
-No gcse/igcse
-AAAA in AS (full ums in Chem and Maths)
-Predicted A*A*A*A*
-ukcat avg 663 Band 2
-a few clinical attachment and work experiences back home and in the UK
-fairly strong PS

Can anyone tell me if i stand any chances for Kings?
Original post by Ali A-R
I dont want to take the risk of getting a pre-interview rejection as I am on a gap year and I only get 4 choices. I want to get as many interviews as possible. It is unfortunate though because if I had gotten a band 2 KCL probably would have been a solid choice.

There's always time mate. I'm 24.

I've had two gap years, lived in India, Australia and Sweden and just got a 2:1 in Biology. Never too late :wink:
Original post by undercover65
Where did you read that they like/look for 4 A Levels?

image.jpeg AS I mean sorry, I did 4 subjects last year but 3 were linear and 1 was modular. This year I've dropped the linear one.
Is it too risky applying to King's with these stats?
GCSE: 6A*s 4As B (I've done them in five months so they're not amazing)
AS: AAAAA
A2: I think A*A*A*A (prediction)
Personal statement pretty strong ( That's what they've told me)
UKCAT: it was so bad 660 average and Band 2
What about the extended degree? I qualify for it but can they reject me because of high prediction?
Original post by AmaduM
No worries :smile:

Yeah I'm applying as a graduate to Birmingham (4 year), Barts (5 year) and Southampton (5 year). I'm just torn between King's (5 year)/Warwick (4 year)/Leicester (5 year) for my fourth choice. Trying to do as much research as I can to see where I stand a better chance. It's so long lol

Oh I see, yeah I know it's so long trying to decide :/ I spent ages researching unis to make sure I had some sort of chance. I ended up going with kings, Barts, leicester and nottingham so hopefully I get at least one of them tbh.
Reply 166
Hey, anyone knows if King's look and prefer a high SJT band? Also, do they look for 4 AS or 4 A2's?
Oh and lots of people worrying about their GCSEs and UKCAT, don't worry, people still get in at King's with what people here consider 'awful' stats. :smile:
I think I read somewhere that you need band 1 or 2 for Kings. Don't quote me on that though.

I have awful GSCEs and A Levels. Seriously awful. But fortunately, I'm a grad with a 2:1 so KCL won't even look at my awful scores 👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rifdhy
Hey, anyone knows if King's look and prefer a high SJT band? Also, do they look for 4 AS or 4 A2's?
Oh and lots of people worrying about their GCSEs and UKCAT, don't worry, people still get in at King's with what people here consider 'awful' stats. :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475665263.050521.jpg

This is from King's themselves. Ideally you have Band 1/2 but you can still get interviewed with Band 3, although unlikely. Band 4 most likely results in an instant rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by ASTK98
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475665263.050521.jpg

This is from King's themselves. Ideally you have Band 1/2 but you can still get interviewed with Band 3, although unlikely. Band 4 most likely results in an instant rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! Thanks
Original post by stressed16
image.jpeg AS I mean sorry, I did 4 subjects last year but 3 were linear and 1 was modular. This year I've dropped the linear one.

Phew, i thought I had missed something. Thanks for the link too
Unsure whether to apply to Kings - I will be a grad (hopefully 2:1 MEng in biomedical engineering)
I studied in Scotland so if anyone knows if this would fit their minimum academic requirements please let me know!
Higher: AAAAB
Adv Higher: ABC (Chem, Bio, Maths)
UKCAT: average 667 :/ band 2

Anyone think I'm in with a shot? If not here then where? I'm starting to panic...
I am sorry to ask a question here,
Man, I am in similar situation... and I really need help, I hope you guys could help me.

My ukcat score is
VR- 580
QR- 830
AR-770
And SJT band 3.....
Average is 726.7, total 2180

I do IB as well! and my predicted grade 41 out of 45.
BioHL 7 ChemHL 6 MathHL 6 Eng B7 Koreanlit6 Geo 6 and 3 additional points.

I am dying, to go to Kings college medicine/
Would I stand a chance?
If not is there any schools that is suited for me?

Thank you, and bless you for the help
Stress is killing me.
Original post by seenkoreanb4?
I am sorry to ask a question here,
Man, I am in similar situation... and I really need help, I hope you guys could help me.

My ukcat score is
VR- 580
QR- 830
AR-770
And SJT band 3.....
Average is 726.7, total 2180

I do IB as well! and my predicted grade 41 out of 45.
BioHL 7 ChemHL 6 MathHL 6 Eng B7 Koreanlit6 Geo 6 and 3 additional points.

I am dying, to go to Kings college medicine/
Would I stand a chance?
If not is there any schools that is suited for me?

Thank you, and bless you for the help
Stress is killing me.

Dunno how IB works but you would be unlikely to receive an interview with a Band 3 SJT at King's from what I know.
Original post by Cookarawrcha
Unsure whether to apply to Kings - I will be a grad (hopefully 2:1 MEng in biomedical engineering)
I studied in Scotland so if anyone knows if this would fit their minimum academic requirements please let me know!
Higher: AAAAB
Adv Higher: ABC (Chem, Bio, Maths)
UKCAT: average 667 :/ band 2

Anyone think I'm in with a shot? If not here then where? I'm starting to panic...

I wouldn't apply for the graduate course because you generally need a score of 700+ to be competitive. You MAY be considered for the 5 year course so I would contact admissions to find out.

Having said that, even applying for 5 year courses as a graduate is still competitive and a score of 667 may be a bit of a risk

I'm not sure how universities look at Scottish qualifications but there's definitely information on individual university websites.

I don't have any suggestions as to where else to apply I'm afraid. But if I were you I'd get a list of ALL UKCAT universities and universities that do not require entrance exams. Go onto their website and check their entry requirements. If you feel you meet the academic requirements then find out how the UKCAT is used to screen applicants. I'd go for universities that do not put massive weighting on the UKCAT. Find out previous cut offs (your score would put you in the 6th decile which isn't too bad) and see if it's worth a shot

Hope that helps a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hormonal
Dunno how IB works but you would be unlikely to receive an interview with a Band 3 SJT at King's from what I know.

Ikr... but still gonna give it try!
Thanks for the reply m8!
Reply 176
Called up and they said their competitive UKCAT score last year was 650! I got 655. Would this be competitive??? Applying as a grad. Looking at deciles, for 2015, the UKCAT competitive score was in 6th decile....Do you guys think it might be logical to assume those with scores in the 6th decile this year may have a chance at getting an interview??
Original post by Anon6
Called up and they said their competitive UKCAT score last year was 650! I got 655. Would this be competitive??? Applying as a grad. Looking at deciles, for 2015, the UKCAT competitive score was in 6th decile....Do you guys think it might be logical to assume those with scores in the 6th decile this year may have a chance at getting an interview??

Yes. Even if your score was lower ie 630, you still have a chance at being invited for interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I gave my UKCAT test and was satisfied with all the scores except for the Verbal Reasoning section. I got 480 in VR, 650 in QR and 620 in AR. However, I got a BAND 1 in the SJT. I did O levels instead of GCSE's and got 2A*5A and 1B and am predicted A*AA for my A levels. Apart from that, I've done quite a lot of extra curricular:I was the Head girl of my school for 4 years, I am the head of the community and welfare society of my college and am one of the best debaters of my school and college.I also came 1st in a national video competition by the British Council and have taken work experience in a hospital and local Clinic. I was a little disheartened because of my UKCAT score but really want to apply for medicine at King's. What are the chances do you think? Will the rest of my academic and extras outweigh the VR score?? Please let me know!Thanks!
I gave my UKCAT test and was satisfied with all the scores except for the Verbal Reasoning section. I got 480 in VR, 650 in QR and 620 in AR. However, I got a BAND 1 in the SJT. I did O levels instead of GCSE's and got 2A*5A and 1B and am predicted A*AA for my A levels. Apart from that, I've done quite a lot of extra curricular:I was the Head girl of my school for 4 years, I am the head of the community and welfare society of my college and am one of the best debaters of my school and college.I also came 1st in a national video competition by the British Council and have taken work experience in a hospital and local Clinic. I was a little disheartened because of my UKCAT score but really want to apply for medicine at Glasgow. What are the chances do you think? Will the rest of my academic and extras outweigh the VR score?? Please let me know!Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending