The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2017 University of Edinburgh hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
GCSE Grades: 7A*s and 3As

Alevel grades already achieved: ABB in Art, Maths and Physics.
Currently studying on an Art Foundation year

Course: Fine Art or Art

Extra Curricular: Blue and silver blue peter badges for drawings (lol), Britain In Bloom painting competition 3rd place, inner school competition win x2, Slade School of Art (UCL) 5 day summer school, studied architecture for a year at the University of Manchester but withdrew because I wanted to study art instead, achieved a 2:1 for the year. Worked for a year at Next and then worked at Hollister whilst in Manchester, work experience in a photography studio, volunteered with Age UK at an arts and crafts group, won a photography competition in manchester, read books and watched documentaries etc :smile:

Other universities I'm applying to: UCL, Goldsmiths, Leeds and maybe Glasgow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hi guys, Eu student here (from italy).

Predicted grades: Don't know yet because I still have to start school and talk with my advisor (I'm on Erasmus+ in Poland and I'll start school next Monday) but probably between 90 and 100/100. I'll do IELTS on the 8th of October.
Course: Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science BSc
Extra Curricular: Web development, Soccer, Running, Learning new programming languages, Puzzles. I was the 'event organizer' at my school in the year 15/16. I'm part of an association that does volunteering and we meet each week to discuss about topical issues (from Brexit to things like the next Referendum in Italy). I'll probably participate to the National Robocup Competition in April/May 2017. I'm finishing today my 1 month internship at a polish company that works with renewable energy.
Other Universities: KCL, Glasgow, Maybe Warwick, Maybe I'll try for UCL, Bristol or St Andrews.
Do someone of you know if a reference coming from tutor in this experience will count something in the application? Do I have a possibility to enter at Edinburgh? It's my dream school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
Course Applying: MA Politics and Quantitative Methods.
GCSES: 5A*s, 5As and a B.
Courses Taking: Politics, Maths and Computer Science (I'm weird)
AS Grades: 2As
Predicted : A*A*A
Extra-Curriculars: Work every week in MP constituency office. Chair of Local Young Labour Grouping. Been on Newsnight once looking a bit confused. Debating Soc. generic politics stuff.
Other Places: St Andrews, Cambridge, York, Leeds.

Literally fell in love with Edinburgh when I came, it's such a beautiful city.
(edited 7 years ago)
Course Applying: Biological science (specifically the development, regeneration and stem cells track but I'm applying for neuroscience and biomed too)
GPA: 2.63 (Yeah I know it's on the low side but I struggled a lot trying to juggle grades and my health in year 1 when I started getting all these weird symptoms , getting a medical check next month to confirm suspected MS)
I'll be applying with ACT, SAT Subj tests (Chem and Math1) which should be on the high range and AP Biology (expected grade 5)
Courses Taking: Biotechnology (Singapore Polytechnic Diploma)
Extra-Curriculars: Published science journalist working for 2 online magazines , Research assistant at A*STAR Fat Metabolism and Stem Cell Group , Spearheading pilot program under the Student Society for Stem Cell Research to develop the first completely online based student chapter in Singapore and executive committee member (head of marketing and publicity) of the Singapore Leaders of Tomorrow Forum 2016 organized by the Global Biotech Revolution (non-profit org from Cambridge Uni)
Other Places: NTU (Singapore) and MIT (I know it's a long shot but I really love the 'maker culture' there)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
course applying- mechanical engineering with management MEng 2nd year entry
as level grades- aaaa, maths physics econs and accounting
a level predicted grades- A*A*A, maths physcis econs, dropped accounting
extra-curricular- malaysia international young inventors, ngo, soccer, drama
other universities- imperial maybe, ucl, manchester, bristol

does anyone knows whether i stand a chance of getting an offer from edinburgh for 2nd year entry? im an international student. will i be interviewed?
Original post by Chiminh
course applying- mechanical engineering with management MEng 2nd year entry
as level grades- aaaa, maths physics econs and accounting
a level predicted grades- A*A*A, maths physcis econs, dropped accounting
extra-curricular- malaysia international young inventors, ngo, soccer, drama
other universities- imperial maybe, ucl, manchester, bristol

does anyone knows whether i stand a chance of getting an offer from edinburgh for 2nd year entry? im an international student. will i be interviewed?

Yes, you only require A*AA for second year entry so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as I'm aware, there isn't an interview for engineering courses at Edinburgh.
Nat 5s AAAAAAAA
Highers AAAAA maths English history modern studies economics
Advanced highers predicted AAA history modern studies economics
Course applying to - politics and economics
Extra curriculars - Debating, model un, public speaking and a lot of extra reading!
Other unis - St. Andrews Warwick LSE Oxford!
Reply 67
Original post by Azzer11
Yes, you only require A*AA for second year entry so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as I'm aware, there isn't an interview for engineering courses at Edinburgh.

aitee:biggrin: thanks mate
Just got my offer come through at AAA for Chemistry (second year entry)!!

(I'm also applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Bath and Manchester)
Original post by Andrewwright1

Congrats!!!!!!

Well done! When did you apply? :smile:
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Well done! When did you apply? :smile:

Monday, I wasn't expecting Edinburgh to reply for a few months so the email was a shock :smile:
Monday, I wasn't expecting Edinburgh to reply for a few months so the email was a shock :smile:

Wow, that's great! :biggrin: They must have thought you were good! >.> Apparently i can't send my application till december so im a bit impatient to apply! I am applying for history. :smile:
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Wow, that's great! :biggrin: They must have thought you were good! >.> Apparently i can't send my application till december so im a bit impatient to apply! I am applying for history. :smile:

Why can't you send it till December?
GCSE grades: A*A*AAAAABBBBAS Levels already achieved:AAAA Levels taken: Art, Geography, Politics, EPQPredicted grades:A*AA + A*EPQUni Course: Architecture Extra-Curricular: Red Cross volunteer, Geography society,politics society, Part time job, Art trips to tuscany and barcelona, skiing,Editor of schools eco eye magazine, mentoring programmes, own architectureblog, I'm sure theres more i just forget hahaOther places i'm applying: Sheffield, Manchester,Nottingham, Liverpool John MooresExtras: anyone else thinking of architecture? also doesanyone know when offers start to come through for edinburgh? i hear they arereally late at offering places.
Original post by jamesevans199819
GCSE grades: A*A*AAAAABBBBAS Levels already achieved:AAAA Levels taken: Art, Geography, Politics, EPQPredicted grades:A*AA + A*EPQUni Course: Architecture Extra-Curricular: Red Cross volunteer, Geography society,politics society, Part time job, Art trips to tuscany and barcelona, skiing,Editor of schools eco eye magazine, mentoring programmes, own architectureblog, I'm sure theres more i just forget hahaOther places i'm applying: Sheffield, Manchester,Nottingham, Liverpool John MooresExtras: anyone else thinking of architecture? also doesanyone know when offers start to come through for edinburgh? i hear they arereally late at offering places.

No offence but why are you applying to LJMU? You could easily get an offer from a much better uni.
Original post by DarkEnergy
No offence but why are you applying to LJMU? You could easily get an offer from a much better uni.

Just as my insurance choice, its still ABB to get onto the course there so i needed a lower one just incase aha, hoping i get an offer from Edinburgh though!
GCSE Grades: 11A*s
AS Grades: A (only took one non-reformed A Level)
Predicted A Level Grades: A*A*A*
A-level Choices: English Literature, History, Maths
Course: English Literature
Extra Curricular: Extended essay, lots of extra reading, school paper, equality society
Other Universities Applying To: Oxford, UCL (English as well as Arts & Sciences majoring in English), KCL
Original post by DarkEnergy
Why can't you send it till December?

I don't really know. I would assume they send all the applications on the deadline day the schools given us so it's easier for them. :s-smilie: I see why but it's inconvenient for me.
Any thoughts on when Edinburgh will start sending out offers? I'm getting kinda antsy :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending