The Student Room Group

Computer science at UCL or Durham?

The london life or the... durham life?

when it comes to getting a job after and the best salary what university is the best to go to out of the two (to study computer science)

prefer if your response about the salary is on the job role 'Software engineer'

or if there are any better straight out of uni job roles with this degree that pay higher
Reply 1
(Biased: I study at UCL)
UCL. London Life is awesome
Course is OK, jobs are easier to get because we're in London and loads of events we can attend easily.
Didn't like the look of the Durham course when I applied (can't remember why though - sorry).

Top CS jobs beat pretty much anything with starting salary, though every industry has some excellent jobs that very few people can get. IMO easier to get them with CS (or economics perhaps). There's also medicine but that's not something you take on lightly.
Original post by ahad47
The london life or the... durham life?

when it comes to getting a job after and the best salary what university is the best to go to out of the two (to study computer science)

prefer if your response about the salary is on the job role 'Software engineer'

or if there are any better straight out of uni job roles with this degree that pay higher

Salary would be linked to the job you get, the company and the location of the office of that company. Sure, there may be some targeting towards e.g. Oxbridge or Imperial for some of the top tech companies out there but on the whole it is pretty much 100% about your technical skills, experience and personal projects.

Some companies pay a lot (38-70k+ with bonus + yearly stock vest, most pay averagely (e.g. £18-35k starting).

I would say front office finance is pretty close to the high end of tech in terms of total compensation for the first few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Salary would be linked to the job you get, the company and the location of the office of that company. Sure, there may be some targeting towards e.g. Oxbridge or Imperial for some of the top tech companies out there but on the whole it is pretty much 100% about your technical skills, experience and personal projects.

Some companies pay a lot (38-70k+ with bonus + yearly stock vest, most pay averagely (e.g. £18-35k starting).

I would say front office finance is pretty close to the high end of tech in terms of total compensation for the first few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you for your response, if i was to get into any of the top 10 best universities in the uk for CS do you think that would give me an edge on other people when applying for the best graduate jobs for the best starting salaries? because the course would be better right since its at a better uni
Original post by ahad47
thank you for your response, if i was to get into any of the top 10 best universities in the uk for CS do you think that would give me an edge on other people when applying for the best graduate jobs for the best starting salaries? because the course would be better right since its at a better uni

No. An edge would be you having a strong portfolio of previous work, an internship or part time job writing code, top grades, a course helper/course rep position etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
No. An edge would be you having a strong portfolio of previous work, an internship or part time job writing code, top grades, a course helper/course rep position etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so what uni you go to wouldnt matter for this particular sector of work?
Original post by ahad47
so what uni you go to wouldnt matter for this particular sector of work?

Not as much as everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Not as much as everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it possible for CS students at UCL to get into Investment banking? Also, would CS grads be at a disadvantage for IB compared to eco and finance grads?
Original post by rudraksh
Is it possible for CS students at UCL to get into Investment banking? Also, would CS grads be at a disadvantage for IB compared to eco and finance grads?

It doesn't matter what degree you do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending